The DNS has a large installed base and repertoire of protocol
specifications. The DNSEXT working group will actively advance DNS
protocol-related RFCs on the standards track while thoroughly
reviewing further proposed extensions. The scope of the DNSEXT WG is
confined to the DNS protocol, particularly changes that affect DNS
protocols "on the wire" or the internal processing of DNS data. DNS
operations are out of scope for the WG.
The WG will consider work in the following areas:
* DNSSEC and TSIG/TKEY algorithm maintenance
* Mechanisms that complement, or are alternatives to, TSIG and SIG(0)
* Hardening DNS protocol and providing guidance to implementers
* Advancing existing DNS-related Proposed Standard RFCs to Draft/Full
* Obsoleting DNS-related RFCs
* Improving DNS zone synchronization mechanisms
* Examining transport protocols, possibly adding new ones
* Mechanisms to alias DNS trees or parts thereof
Before formal adoption of any work item at least 5 working group
participants must publicly state that the item is within charter and
is a worthwhile item for further study.
The DNSEXT WG will conduct the specified RFC5395 review of RR
templates as they are posted, and EDNS0 Option templates if EDNS0-bis
updates registration requirements.
The WG will review DNS protocol related work which may originate
elsewhere in the IETF, including AD-sponsored submissions or drafts
in other working group.