Domain Boundaries (DBOUND)
|Document||Type||Proposed BOF request|
|Title||Domain Boundaries (DBOUND)|
|Send notices to||(None)|
Name: Domain Boundaries (DBOUND)
The Domain Boundaries (DBOUND) WG was a previous WG which focused on developing
a specification to represent differing administrative control between "related"
DNS names (such as example.com and foo.example.com).
This WG was concluded without agreement on a problem statement in mid-2017.
However, there's been additional recent interest in the work the former WG did,
recent developments in related working groups/their standards (e.g. DMARC), and
discussions on the mailing list/at past IETF meetings regarding if the previous
use-cases/draft problem statement still align with today's needs. During IETF115
an informal side-meeting occurred, with interest in following up with a BOF.
This BOF aims to discuss those use-cases and previous draft problem statements.
- Status: WG Forming (or re-hydrating?)
- Responsible AD: ART, ADs Francesca Palombini and Murray Kucherawy
- BOF proponents: Ian Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org), Craig Pearce (email@example.com)
- BOF chairs: TBD
- Number of people expected to attend: 20-30
- Length of session (1 or 2 hours): 2 hours
- Conflicts (whole Areas and/or WGs)
- Chair Conflicts: TBD
- Technology Overlap: DNS, DMARC, HTTP
- Key Participant Conflict: TBD
Information for IAB/IESG
To allow evaluation of your proposal, please include the following items:
- Any protocols or practices that already exist in this space: Public Suffix List (PSL) - https://publicsuffix.org/
- Which (if any) modifications to existing protocols or practices are required: DBOUND may supersede or complement the PSL
- Which (if any) entirely new protocols or practices are required: See above
- Open source projects (if any) implementing this work: https://github.com/jrlevine/bound (last commit in Nov 2020, intended to implement https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-levine-dbound-dns )
- Administrivia 
- Presentation of use cases 
- Discussion of previous problem-statement draft 
- BoF questions 
- Summary of intended next steps 
Links to the mailing list, draft charter if any, relevant Internet-Drafts, etc.
Mailing List: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dbound
Previous charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dbound/
Problem Statement: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sullivan-dbound-problem-statement/
Mailing list threads: