|RFC 9158||CRMF Algorithm Requirements Update||November 2021|
Update to the Object Identifier Registry for the PKIX Working Group
RFC 7299 describes the object identifiers that were assigned by the Public Key Infrastructure using X.509 (PKIX) Working Group in an arc that was allocated by IANA (22.214.171.124.5.5.7). A small number of object identifiers that were assigned in RFC 4212 are omitted from RFC 7299, and this document updates RFC 7299 to correct that oversight.¶
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.¶
This document is a product of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). It represents the consensus of the IETF community. It has received public review and has been approved for publication by the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG). Not all documents approved by the IESG are candidates for any level of Internet Standard; see Section 2 of RFC 7841.¶
Copyright (c) 2021 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the document authors. All rights reserved.¶
This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents (https://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of publication of this document. Please review these documents carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect to this document. Code Components extracted from this document must include Revised BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as described in the Revised BSD License.¶
When the Public Key Infrastructure using X.509 (PKIX) Working Group was chartered, an object identifier arc was allocated by IANA for use by that working group. After the PKIX Working Group was closed, RFC 7299 [RFC7299] was published to describe the object identifiers that were assigned in that arc. A small number of object identifiers that were assigned in RFC 4212 [RFC4212] are not included in RFC 7299, and this document corrects that oversight.¶
The PKIX Certificate Management Protocol (CMP) [RFC4210] allocated id-regCtrl-altCertTemplate (126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.1.7), and then two object identifiers were assigned within that arc [RFC4212], which were intended to be used with either PKIX CMP [RFC4210] or PKIX Certificate Management over CMS (CMC) [RFC5272] [RFC5273] [RFC5274] [RFC6402].¶
This document describes the object identifiers that were assigned in that arc, establishes an IANA registry for that arc, and establishes IANA allocation policies for any future assignments within that arc.¶
IANA has created a new subregistry.¶
Within the "Structure of Management Information (SMI) Numbers (MIB Module Registrations)" registry, IANA has created the "SMI Security for PKIX CRMF Registration Controls for Alternate Certificate Formats" subregistry (184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.1.7). The initial contents of this subregistry are as follows:¶
Future updates to the registry table are to be made according to the Specification Required policy defined in [RFC8126]. The expert is expected to ensure that any new values are strongly related to the work that was done by the PKIX Working Group. In particular, additional object identifiers should be needed for use with either the PKIX CMP or PKIX CMC to support alternative certificate formats. Object identifiers for other purposes should not be assigned in this arc.¶
This document populates an IANA registry, and it raises no new security considerations. The protocols that specify these values include the security considerations associated with their usage.¶
- Housley, R., "Object Identifier Registry for the PKIX Working Group", RFC 7299, DOI 10.17487/RFC7299, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7299>.
- Cotton, M., Leiba, B., and T. Narten, "Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs", BCP 26, RFC 8126, DOI 10.17487/RFC8126, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8126>.
- Adams, C., Farrell, S., Kause, T., and T. Mononen, "Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate Management Protocol (CMP)", RFC 4210, DOI 10.17487/RFC4210, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4210>.
- Blinov, M. and C. Adams, "Alternative Certificate Formats for the Public-Key Infrastructure Using X.509 (PKIX) Certificate Management Protocols", RFC 4212, DOI 10.17487/RFC4212, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4212>.
- Schaad, J. and M. Myers, "Certificate Management over CMS (CMC)", RFC 5272, DOI 10.17487/RFC5272, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5272>.
- Schaad, J. and M. Myers, "Certificate Management over CMS (CMC): Transport Protocols", RFC 5273, DOI 10.17487/RFC5273, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5273>.
- Schaad, J. and M. Myers, "Certificate Management Messages over CMS (CMC): Compliance Requirements", RFC 5274, DOI 10.17487/RFC5274, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5274>.
- Schaad, J., "Certificate Management over CMS (CMC) Updates", RFC 6402, DOI 10.17487/RFC6402, , <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6402>.