Minutes for 6TISCH at interim-2014-6tisch-3
minutes-interim-2014-6tisch-3-1

Meeting Minutes IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e (6tisch) WG
Title Minutes for 6TISCH at interim-2014-6tisch-3
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2014-11-07

Meeting Minutes
minutes-interim-2014-6tisch-3

# Minutes Webex 07 November 2014, 6TiSCH WG #

Note: timestamps in PDT.

Connection details
------------------

* Webex:
https://ciscosales.webex.com/ciscosales/j.php?ED=219615007&UID=481905242&PW=NZTRkNDAwOTE1&RT=MiMyMw%3D%3D
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9000/p/6tisch?useMonospaceFont=true
* Topic: 6TiSCH Weekly * Time: 8:00 am, Pacific Daylight Time (San Francisco,
GMT-07:00) * Meeting Number: 206 802 913 * Meeting Password: sixtus * CCM:
+14085256800x206802913

Resources
---------

* Webex recording:
https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?RCID=5dc727523f4a4b7ca02f2a8aef479f66
* Wiki: https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/wiki/141107_webex * Slides:
https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/src/master/141107_webex/slides_141107_webex.ppt

Taking notes _(using Etherpad)_
-------------------------------

1. Xavi Vilajosana
1. Thomas Watteyne

Present
-------

1. Giuseppe Piro
1. Maria Rita Palattella
1. Martin Turon
1. Michel Veillette
1. Nicola Accettura
1. Pascal Thubert
1. Raghuram Sudhaakar
1. Sedat Gormus
1. Shitanshu Shah
1. Subir Das
1. Thomas Watteyne
1. Xavi Vilajosana

Action Items
------------

* **Pascal** to add when draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch was adopted by WG
* **Pascal** to remove "outline" slide from draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal
presentation * **Xavi** to discuss with Pat Kinney about TsTxOffset. Renamed? *
**Pascal** to start discussion in 6TiSCH ML about whether we make
recommendation about a RPL instance to be used.

Agenda
------

* Administrivia _[2min]_
    * Approval agenda
    * Approval minutes last call
* overview new I-Ds _[3min]_
* IETF91 admin _[5min]_
    * meetecho remote presentation
    * final agenda
* run through draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-03 _[5min]_ (Xavi Vilajosana)
* run through draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface-02 _[5min]_ (Thomas Watteyne)
* run through draft-finn-detnet-problem-statement-01 _[5min]_ (Norm Finn)
* run through 6TiSCH ETSI Plugtest slides _[5min]_ (TBD)
* run through draft-richardson-6tisch--security-6top-03 _[5min]_ (Michael
Richardson) * run through draft-struik-6tisch-security-architecture-elements-01
_[5min]_ (Rene Stuik) * RFC7322: RFC Style Guide _[5min]_ (Pascal Thubert) *
AOB _[5min]_

Minutes
-------

* _[08.05]_ Meeting starts
    * **Pascal** starts recording
    * **Pascal** reminds note well
    * Objective of this call: prepare for IETF91 6TiSCH WG meeting, going
    through slides * **Thomas** indicates security design team met on Tuesday,
    minutes to be published
        * minutes will be published.
        * architecture is being developed.
        * Michael Richardson is going to present it at the next IETF meeting
* _[08.07]_ Administrivia _[2min]_
    * Approval agenda?
    * **[Thomas]** canceled agenda items:
        * Michael and Rene in the plane, they will send the slides as soon as
        they arrive in Hawaii. * Miguel will send slides on Monday
    * **[Thomas]** proposed additional agenda item:
        * discuss what we want to achieve during IETF91
    * **[Martin]** what is the 6TiSCH outcome about RPL compression?
        * **[Pascal]** discussions will be carried out during 6lo WG meeting
            * https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/91/agenda/6lo/
        * **[Thomas]** we agreed that the minimal draft published last week
        contains a link to the RPL compression mechanism that we are planning
        to use at 6TiSCH >
        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thubert-6lo-rpl-nhc-02.txt *
        **[Pascal]** status: suggestion that we should work on compression of
        RFC6553 and RFC6554. Have a new dispatch type. * **[Pascal]** we
        started with Flow Label approach that was compressing using the flow
        label space. Moving to 6top we make explicit that we carry the Routing
        information compressed. The cost is that we use more bytes. Can we get
        back to the space defined in RFC4944 (dispatch) and create a routing
        dispatch? * **[Xavi]** Would we have 2 dispatch options? * **[Pascal]**
        the packet will have a routing dispatch inside there will be some TLVs.
        After this particular dispatch there might me other dispatch (including
        the original packet, IPv6 dispatch). In terms of space this is similar
        to having Extension headers. Yes but it solves the IP in IP problem
        (encapsulating IP in IP). Could mean deprecation of the Mesh header. *
        **[Thomas]** I strongly oppose that idea. * **[Martin]** It seems like
        you are trying to propose a Mesh under RPL. Mesh header is well
        designed. Discourage the deprecation of the Mesh header. * **[Thomas]**
        We agreed to use draft-thubert-6lo-rpl-nhc; now part of minimal draft.
        I believe we should stick to that plan. 6lo meeting will dedicate 30min
        to this draft. * **[Thomas]** This discussion is very important and we
        need to have it in a open forum, well beyond this call.
    * **[Thomas]** What do we want to achieve during IETF91?
    > **Thomas** pastes list in chat and presents it line by line
        * agreeing on
        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thubert-6lo-rpl-nhc-02.txt
            * 30min in 6lo (https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/91/agenda/6lo/)
        * it looks like 4 drafts are almost WGLC'able
            * draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch
            * draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal
            * draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface
            * draft-ietf-6tisch-coap (see discussion below)
        * Chairs to discuss plugtest with AD
            * ETSI and 6TiSCH committed for IETF93
            * need to explore possibilities for rooms, etc with Ted
        * agree on strategy for draft-ietf-6tisch-coap
            * **[Thomas]** question is: should we push draft-ietf-6tisch-coap
            or wait for generic solution from COMAN? * **[Thomas]** opinions? *
            **[Xavi]** if COMAN's solution does not take ages, would prefer to
            go for a more general approach * **[Pascal]** suggest to publish a
            version of draft-ietf-6tisch-coap which clearly contains some
            versioning mechanism, so we can (quickly) ship what we have and
            allow it to evolve. * **[Thomas]** Agree that would be better to
            have a generic solution, but we waited for 1 year now. We should
            speed up things. Push for the current draft and have a back door so
            we can change in case there is a more general solution.
        * **[Xavi]** Would add one point: discuss about the 6top interface and
        whether it should cover all the 15.4PIB or not. If not, where is the
        boundary? what are the items that should be tackled by 6top YANG model?
    * Approval minutes last call
    > [editorial note by Thomas: we got carried away by previous discussion
    and did NOT explicitly cover this point, oops. I will send an e-mail to the
    ML to ask for approval of the minutes of last call. This is an additional
    action item NOT discussed during the call.]
* overview new I-Ds _[3min]_
    * the following drafts were published for IETF91:
        * draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface-02
        * draft-ietf-6tisch-architecture-04
        * draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-03
        * draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch-03
        * draft-richardson-6tisch--security-6top-03
        * draft-struik-6tisch-security-architecture-elements-01
* _[08.39]_ IETF91 admin _[5min]_
    * final agenda at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/91/agenda/6tisch/
* run-through draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch-03 **[Maria Rita Palattella]**
    * **Maria Rita** presents slides
    > Action item: **Pascal** to add when draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch was adopted
    by WG
* run-through draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-03 **[Xavi Vilajosana]**
    * Xavi presents slides
    > Action item: **Pascal** to remove "outline" slide from
    draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal presentation * **[Xavi]** we need to discuss with
    Pat Kinney about TsTxOffset. Renamed? > Action item: **Xavi** to discuss
    with Pat Kinney about TsTxOffset. Renamed? * **[Pascal]** in architecture,
    indicate we use rank from one RPL distribution * **[Xavi]** for minimal, we
    could use the lowest/highest > Action item: **Pascal** to start
    discussion in 6TiSCH ML about whether we make recommendation about a RPL
    instance to be used
* run-through draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-interface-02 **[Thomas Watteyne]**
    * We need to raise question about authorship. Pat Kinney will probably join
    authors, mostly for English.
* run-through draft-finn-detnet-problem-statement-01 **[Pascal Thubert]**
    * **Pascal** presents slides, can present slides during WG meeting, or Norm
* run-through 6TiSCH ETSI Plugtest slides
> not covered (see comment Thomas at beginning of call)
* run through draft-richardson-6tisch--security-6top-03
> not covered (see comment Thomas at beginning of call)
* run through draft-struik-6tisch-security-architecture-elements-01
> not covered (see comment Thomas at beginning of call)
* RFC7322: RFC Style Guide
> not covered. **Pascal** recommends to go through slides.
* AOB _[5min]_
    * **[Thomas]** Meetecho team will contact remote presenters to schedule
    some testing. This will be during IETF week, but before the WG meeting. Not
    sure when. * **[Martin]** Suggests to spend more time on security, and have
    a clear presentation discussion on what is proposed. * **[Martin]** Have
    fun in HI!
* _[09.15]_ Meeting ends