Minutes for 6TISCH at interim-2014-6tisch-4

Meeting Minutes IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e (6tisch) WG
Title Minutes for 6TISCH at interim-2014-6tisch-4
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2015-01-09

Meeting Minutes

# Minutes,  December 5 2014 interim, 6TiSCH WG #

Note: timestamps in PDT.

Connection details

* Webex:
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9000/p/6tisch?useMonospaceFont=true
* Topic: 6TiSCH Weekly * Time: 8:00 am, Pacific Daylight Time (San Francisco,
GMT-07:00) * Meeting Number: 206 802 913 * Meeting Password: sixtus * CCM:


* Webex recording:
* Wiki: https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/wiki/141205_webex * Slides:

Taking notes _(using Etherpad)_
1. Dominique Barthel
1. Thomas Watteyne
1. Diego Dujovne
1. Michael Richardson
1. Pascal Thubert

1. Alfredo Grieco
1. Deji Chen
1. Diego Dujovne
1. Dominique Barthel
1. Giuseppe Piro
1. Guillaume Gaillard
1. Malisa Vucinic
1. Maria Rita Palattella
1. Michael Richardson
1. Nicola Accettura
1. Pascal Thubert
1. Pat Kinney
1. Pouria Zand
1. Raghuram Sudhaakar
1. Sedat Gormus
1. Thomas Watteyne
1. ? unknown call in user ?

Action Items
1. **Pascal** to announce Last call completion and signal for IESG review
process 1. **Pascal** to start LC for the Minimal draft 1. **Thomas** to
publish a TSCH draft addressing LC questions 1. **Thomas** to start LC for CoAP
draft 1. **Raghuram** to add a disclaimer for the reviewers indicating that the
changes may occur in RFC Ed Q due to dependencies on CoMI


* Administrivia (2min)
* outcome IETF91 (25min)
    * overview (chairs)
    * tentative minutes
    > http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/msg02753.html
    * LC draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch
    > http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/msg02759.html
    * update draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal
    > http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/msg02761.html
    * update tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-coap
    * other next steps
* update IEEE802.15.4-2015 (Pat Kinney, 25min)
* AOB (5min)

* _[08.05]_ Meeting starts
* _[08.07]_ Administrivia
    * Approval agenda
    > Agenda approved
    * Approval minutes IETF
    > Minutes of IETF approved. No comments on the call. (Can be changed
    until Dec 24th)
* _[08.09]_ IETF91 Outcome
    * Overview
        * Discuss drafts
    * Last Call for draft-ietf-6tisch-tsch
        * Last Called launched last week, 2 comments received.
        * consensus reached. Pascal (shepherd) will send to IESG, hopefully
        before Xmas. * Thomas will do the change, asap.
    * Update / Last Call for draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal
        * Concerns about the security text at the IETF meeting. Xavi wrote the
        changes and published a new version. * Pascal believes we are ready for
        last call. No objection on this call. * Pascal will issue a 2-week Last
        Call shortly, to end before end-of-year vacations. * Only question
        still in the air is NHC vs. ???. Can do an update during IESG
        discussion. Not blocking for submission, Pascal believes.
    * Update / Last Call for draft-ietf-6tisch-coap
        * Thomas: this -coap draft and CoMI overlap. CoMI is superset so trying
        to reference CoMi in the CoAP draft. * Raghuram: Aligned the CoAP draft
        with the current version of CoMI; indicating that CoMI will supersede
        if a discrepancy occurs. Draft presents examples of how CoMI is used *
        Thomas: draft is absolutely needed. * Raghuram: definition of URIs and
        resources were needed and stable, but the examples are subject to
        change with CoMI. * Thomas: are we there yet? Opinions on the call? *
        Pascal: what's missing? * Thomas: was updated yesterday * Raghuram:
        payload format not fixed. Only point of contention with CoMI. Does not
        expect CoMI to change any more. * Pascal: will stay in Ed. queue
        anyway, waiting for CoMI, if we list it as a normative reference. Still
        good to have our doc ready to encourage implementations, we should not
        keep it on hold. * Pascal: believes that changes are minor, recommends
        to do the LC and apply changes per comments received. * Raghuram: will
        put in datatracker and do changes.
    * Other next steps (architecture & security, terminology)
        * 6tisch-architecture draft. Shephard not Thomas or Pascal because
             Michael and René will provide text for the security section. Will
             Last Call early next year (did I hear this right ????).
        * -terminology
          Michael: security terms text was provided yesterday.
        * security will  not be discussed in this call because of tight agenda,
        but rather in the next call
          TW: two security calls since IETF91. Minutes to come. Will discuss
          security again at the next 6tisch call.
* _[08.32]_ update IEEE802.15.4-2015 (Pat Kinney)
    * 15.4 undergoing a revision. Revision using 2011 as a baseline. 7
    amendments to be rolled up. * Hoping for approval mid-august 2015. * Size
    reduction - 661 pages to go down. SCrubbing acronyms, definition, bib.
    Eliminate dup definition. * Other groups can get assigned numbers.
    Relevance to 6tisch being discussed. * IE ID's changed. * Deleted Terms.
    More to go. * Changes to IFS - fixed size * Changes within TSCH - lot of
    them. TSCH Terminology harmonized with rest of the standard. * CSMA-CA flow
    charts being redrawn to show TSCH. Consistency improved. * [TW] :
      [PK] : Mac needs to construct the frame and can be tolerated by PHY.
    * CSMA-CA and CCA are focused on coexistence within the same band ONLY.
    * longer than 20us, will back off due to IEEE802.11
    * Priority mechanism required between different nodes. PCA is the way to do
    it. Working to get it harmonized. * Trying to clarify when to use what and
    how. * Corrections on the Security area * Security changes: State machines,
    frame counters, new frame types, TSCH: removed 5 octet * Question from
    Thomas; Answer: Only one size frame counter. * State machines design under
    heavy work. Ask for changes if states dissipated. * nonce generation for
    TSCH .. not allowing short-addresses in ??? field. * Short address is not
    unique: is ambiguous when outside. It can be reused. Thomas: out of scope
    from 802.15.4 Pat: Yes, from upper layers. Short address inappropriate to
    be used. * Thomas: Increment allowed, usage of the ASN avoids tracking when
    reusing the same short address. Pat: SHort Address can allow the key to be
    exposed (as a general case) * Pat: There is a possibility, it must be
    discussed. * Pat: Short Address:... * Thomas: can be * Thomas: Example:
    Short Address asked from the node to the PCE * Michael: Network Wide key. *
    Pascal: Bring this to the ML * Pat goes on. Protocol Implementation
    Conformance Statement * Pat: Fast forward on slides. * Pat: TG4.. q: ultra
    low power, r: ranging * 802.15.9: key management, letter ballot *
    802.15.10: layer2 routing * reflector information to follow.
* _[08.55]_ AOB
    * Thomas: Security discussions on 6TiSCH -> state machines
    * Pat: Will build a document that can be distributed
    * Thomas: PCA tracks? Pat: Simple on the mechanism, tough in the details.
    802.15.4k Priority Channel Access. Contention access period. Check for the
    concepts. 6top must tell the priority of these packets. * Thomas: Capture
    effect questions for the next call. * Thomas: Any other questions for Pat?
    Go to the ML. * Next security call on Tuesdays 9-16 December 11AM EST 1300
    UTC * See you on next call.
* _[09.03]_ Meeting ends