Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2016-iesg-19 2016-09-15 14:00
minutes-interim-2016-iesg-19-201609151400-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2016-09-15 14:00
Title Minutes interim-2016-iesg-19 2016-09-15 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2016-iesg-19-201609151400-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the September 15, 2016 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES 
--------------------------------- 
Jari Arkko (Ericsson) / IETF Chair, General Area
Alia Atlas (Juniper) / Routing Area
Deborah Brungard (AT&T) / Routing Area
Ben Campbell (Oracle) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Benoit Claise (Cisco) / Operations and Management Area
Alissa Cooper (Cisco) / Applications and Real-Time Area 
Michelle Cotton (ICANN) / IANA Liaison 
Spencer Dawkins / Transport Area
Stephen Farrell (Trinity College Dublin) / Security Area 
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison 
Susan Hares / Scribe 
Joel Jaeggli (Fastly) / Operations and Management Area 
Suresh Krishnan (Ericsson) / Internet Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (ETH Zurich) / Transport Area
John Leslie / Scribe 
Terry Manderson (ICANN) / Internet Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat 
Kathleen Moriarty (EMC) / Security Area
Alvaro Retana (Cisco) / Routing Area
Robert Sparks (Oracle) / IAB Liaison
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat

REGRETS 
---------------------------------
Heather Flanagan / RFC Series Editor
Alexey Melnikov / Applications and Real-Time Area
Ray Pelletier (ISOC) / IAD
Carlos Pignataro (Cisco) / Scribe
Andrew Sullivan (Dyn) / IAB Chair 


OBSERVERS
--------------------------------- 
Greg Wood

MINUTES 
--------------------------------- 
1. Administrivia 
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the September 1, 2016 Teleconference were approved.  The 
Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the September 1, 2016 Teleconference were 
approved.  The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public 
archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the September 1, 2016 IESG Teleconference 
1.2.1 Protocol Actions
  o draft-ietf-mpls-entropy-lsp-ping-05  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-sweet-rfc2911bis-11  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-sipcore-dns-dual-stack-08  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Action
  o draft-ietf-grow-blackholing-03  (Informational)
  o draft-ietf-kitten-aes-cts-hmac-sha2-11  (Informational)

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:
  o Jari Arkko and the IESG to put together feedback questions regarding 
    the 10am meeting start, length of the meeting time, and potential 
    experiments with meeting formats (unconference, lounges, 1+lounge 
    time, etc.)

  o Jari Arkko to produce new text to go on the IPR web page.

IN PROGRESS:
  o Benoit Claise, Alvaro Retana, and Suresh Krishnan to propose charter 
    development recommendations.

  o Suresh Krishnan to find more scribes.

  o Ben Campbell to find a designated expert for SDP Parameters [IANA 
    #922491].

NEW:
  NONE

2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items 
  o draft-ietf-hip-multihoming-11  - IETF stream
    Host Multihoming with the Host Identity Protocol (Proposed Standard) 
    - 1 of 5
    Token: Terry Manderson

Jari Arkko formally recused himself from the discussion. The document 
was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The Secretariat will 
send a working group submission Protocol Action Announcement once Terry 
Manderson confirms that the announcement is ready to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-hip-rfc5206-bis-13  - IETF stream
    Host Mobility with the Host Identity Protocol (Proposed Standard) - 
    2 of 5
    Token: Terry Manderson

Jari Arkko formally recused himself from the discussion. The document 
was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The Secretariat will 
send a working group submission Protocol Action Announcement once Terry 
Manderson confirms that the announcement is ready to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-pals-mc-pon-04  - IETF stream
    Multi-chassis Passive Optical Network (PON) Protection in MPLS
    (Proposed Standard) - 3 of 5
    Token: Deborah Brungard

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Stephen Farrell and Alexey Melnikov.*

  o draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware-12  - IETF stream
    Extensions to the Path Computation Element Communication Protocol
    (PCEP) to compute service aware Label Switched Path (LSP). (Proposed
    Standard) - 4 of 5
    Token: Deborah Brungard

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol Action 
Announcement once Deborah Bringard confirms that the announcement is 
ready to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-04  - IETF stream
    NXDOMAIN really means there is nothing underneath (Proposed
    Standard) - 5 of 5
    Token: Joel Jaeggli

The document was approved by the IESG. The Secretariat will send a 
working group submission Protocol Action Announcement.

2.1.2 Returning items
  o draft-ietf-radext-ip-port-radius-ext-11  - IETF stream
    RADIUS Extensions for IP Port Configuration and Reporting (Proposed
    Standard) - 1 of 1
    Token: Kathleen Moriarty

The document was removed from the agenda prior to the start of the 
teleconference.

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
  o draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-07  - IETF stream
    An Architecture for Data Center Network Virtualization Overlays
    (NVO3) (Informational) - 1 of 2
    Token: Alia Atlas

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Alia Atlas. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-mptcp-experience-06  - IETF stream
    Use Cases and Operational Experience with Multipath TCP
    (Informational) - 2 of 2
    Token: Mirja K├╝hlewind

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Jari Arkko.*

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  o draft-moriarty-pkcs1-03  - IETF stream
    PKCS #1 Version 2.2: RSA Cryptography Specifications (Informational) 
    - 1 of 2
    Token: Stephen Farrell

Kathleen Moriarty formally recused herself from the discussion. The 
document was approved by the IESG. The Secretariat will send an 
individual submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-moriarty-pkcs5-v2dot1-04  - IETF stream
    PKCS #5: Password-Based Cryptography Specification Version 2.1
    (Informational) - 2 of 2
    Token: Stephen Farrell

Kathleen Moriarty formally recused herself from the discussion. The 
document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Stephen Farrell. The Secretariat will send an individual 
submission Document Action Announcement.

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items
  NONE

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items
  o conflict-review-thomas-namecollisions-workshop-report-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-thomas-namecollisions-workshop-report
      draft-thomas-namecollisions-workshop-report-05
      Report from the Workshop and Prize on Root Causes and Mitigation
    of Name Collisions (ISE: Informational) - 1 of 1
    Token: Joel Jaeggli

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response 
prepared by Joel Jaeggli.

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  NONE

4.1.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review
  NONE

4.2.2 Proposed for approval
  o IP Security Maintenance and Extensions (ipsecme) - 1 of 1
    Area: SEC (Kathleen Moriarty)

The IESG approved the revised charter for the working group. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action: RECHARTER announcement. 

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues
   6.1 Update on IAB statement regarding IANA transition (Jari Arkko)

The management issue was discussed.

   6.2 Modifications to the IPR page (Jari Arkko)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG will continue the 
discussion via email.

   6.3 Start times and other meeting scheduling questions (Jari Arkko)

The management issue was discussed.

7. Working Group news



-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/) 
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.