Minutes interim-2017-6tisch-08: Fri 07:00
minutes-interim-2017-6tisch-08-201704140700-01

Meeting Minutes IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e (6tisch) WG
Title Minutes interim-2017-6tisch-08: Fri 07:00
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2017-04-14

Meeting Minutes
minutes-interim-2017-6tisch-08-201704140700

   Connection details
------------------
•       Date: 7-8am Pacific:
http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=100,12,5392171,1850147&h=100&date=2017-04-14&sln=14-15
•       Webex link:
https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/j.php?MTID=mcdbbe3a4e38d97d986b507ec12a1f9b1
•       Webex Recording:
https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?RCID=e2af5ee417154126b2ab9cba81ab6fb4
    o   Recording password: JkJp3Qce
•       Material link:
https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/raw/master/170414_webex/slides_170414_webex.ppt

Taking notes (using Etherpad)
-----------------------------
.       Pascal Thubert
.       Dominique Barthel
.   Thomas Watteyne

Present (alphabetically)
1.      Benjamin Damm
2.      Charlie Perkins
3.      Diego Dujovne
4.      Dominique Barthel
5.      Malisa Vucinic
6.      Mark ??? <- connected without audio; is this a real person ???
7.      Michael Richardson
8.      Pascal Thubert
9.      Randy Turner
10.     Rashid Sangi
11.     Remy Leone
12.     Sedat Gormus
13. Thomas Watteyne
14.     Yasuyuki Tanaka

Action Items
------------
Randy to check IETF documents on 6TiSCH vs. DetNet
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-12 and
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-architecture-11) and come back to
us on whether there is a need to maintain another document, if so whether
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thubert-6tisch-4detnet-01 is a good start

Agenda
------
•       Administrivia                           [ 2min]
    o   Agenda bashing
    o   Approval minutes from last meeting
•       Status of drafts (chairs)               [15min]
    o   Adoption of Michael’s drafts on security – co authors?
    o   Terminology draft
    o   6TiSCH for detnet
    o   6P and SF0 – launching last calls?
•       6P finalization (Thomas, Qin)           [10min]
•       Update on security (Michael/Malisa)     [10min]
•       Research Liaison Task Force (Thomas)    [15min]
•       AOB [ 3min]

Minutes
-------
•       [07:05]Administrivia [ 2min]
    o   Agenda bashing
    o   Approval minutes from last meeting
    o   Minutes of last meeting; this agenda approval => all Approved
[07:07] ETSI plugtest (Thomas)
    o   Thomas Watteyne: discusses the ETSI plugtest at IETF 99.
    o   Would start Friday afternoon and then all of saturday prior to IETF in
    Prague. We are discussing with ETSI to use their tool for reporting. Also
    with 6lo about co-locating the event. o   TW: First step: agree on the
    scope: all the pieces defined. o   Coverage: minimal draft, 6P, SF0, as
    well as minimal security o   MCR: make sure with ETSI to avoid the NDA
    issue. NDA says that we agree to never reverse engineer other people's
    work. o   Thomas asks if anyone opposes removing the NDA. No one shows up.
    Thomas will ask ETSI if that is a problem o   Remy: have a list of all
    6TiSCH tests, matching merging all the interop tests, up to date
    compilation that is still valid today. o   Thomas: we'll define such
    document. Things have changed since last interops so would be useful to
    have an updated version reflecting what should work today. This should live
    in a bitbucket o   Remy: you are reading my mind o   Thomas: need to look
    at IPR with ETSI as well, then. Can we freely publish the testcases on the
    bitbucket? o   Remy: we will upgrade the wireshark dissector to support 6P
    and generate json.
[7:18]Status of drafts (chairs)
    o   Adoption of Michael’s drafts on security – co authors?
               Diego volunteers for EB draft
               Peter volunteers for rekey draft
               Pascal: we will ask for review+adoption for EB, wait for rekey
    o   Terminology draft
               key as I-D, will publish "last" in first set to RFC are done
    o   6TiSCH for detnet
               Randy: IEEE 802.24, other groups were looking for composite
          document which shows how IETF 6TiSCH applies to their application
          domain      Randy: looking for use cases, and what is teh difference
          between wired and wireless (with technical details)      Pascal:
          please look at
          https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thubert-6tisch-4detnet-01, does
          that cover the requirements?      Randy: will include this in
          landscape analysis      Pascal: please come back to us on whethet
          there is interest in this document, on top of:     
          draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-12      6TiSCH architecture
    o   6P and SF0 – launching last calls?
    o   SF0 to be experimental
[7:32] 6P finalization (Thomas, Qin) [10min]
    o   Charlie: 2 pages of technical comments, this is the first one.
    o   Charlie: I sent comments to the ML, editorial and small things in a
    file. o   Charlie: Terminology section: more terms needed: NumCandCells
    (candidate cells) o   Charlie: proposed changes to the cell table; will not
    go over that now. o   Charlie: ERREOL case is listed as an error and that
    is not appropriate; either that or make the error hanling more complicated.
    o   Charlie: Negotiation to delete cells: why negotiate? o   Thomas: Yes,
    should be plainly accepted by node B o   Charlie: Candidate cells, Relocate
    cells: no way to count the number of cells on the list. Does not represent
    the message format. o   Charlie: combining the role of generation number
    and sequence number. Seem they are increased together. The function could
    be combined, thus more bits and longer rollover o   Thomas: for list and
    count commands, these are additional transaction and the seq number is
    incremented but not the gen. o   Charlie: That is just a suggestion; I can
    develop further if you like. I'm usually in favor of minimizing the number
    of concepts to handle. o   Charlie: section mandates certain things from SF
    specification. I made editorial comments in the text attached. But the text
    says that SF should manadte the behaviour at boot. But there are many
    things done at boot, some of which do not fall in SF. Which things should
    be configured and initialized by SF should be specified more specifically.
    o   Charlie: in IOT there is going to be huge number of applications. How
    to say unambiguously what the applicaiton domain is seems difficult. Better
    may be to pass what's the maximum nb of cell, or max latency in that the o 
     Thomas: The idea is to have multiple SFs option to implement any of them.
    e.g. the requirement of a certai was created to favor latency, other
    criteria robustness... o   Charlie: Seems to have more editorial in recent
    additions. Why do we need list and count? the motivation for those commands
    is missing. o   Charlie: How to abort the confirmation in a 3 step appears
    to be missing. o   Thomas: missing 3P ack for that o   Charlie: and
    numcells is missing in relocate response. o   Thomas: Revision code goes in
    IE that has a length so it can be inferred from that o   Pascal: Is really
    about the future, if someone adds stuff to the frame the length will not be
    an indicator of the number of cells an lore. The dray . o o   [7:50] Update
    on security (Michael/Malisa) [10min] o   Michael: Design Team resumed at
    15:00 UTC, there was a meeting this week o   Michael: Goal to advance
    6TiSCH minimal to WG LC by IETF 99 and the zerotouch soon after. Minimal is
    plugTestable. Dependencies on EDHOC which needs a WG, likely ACE, waiting
    for the chairs/ADs.
[7:56] 6TiSCH simulator (Malisa) [ 3min]
    o   Extended downward traffic downward predict performance fast of network,
    during standardization process. Security uses? how to shape the protocol
    using. Good Research tool. Written in Python, events scheduled on the
    timeslot boundary. Slotted aloha cell downward routing and on the fly
    scheduling, with generic number of nodes?. o   Metrics: Energy, Performance
    of Slotted Aloha, Reliability, Latency, Join process duration, ++ o   CDF
    of join times on the network, as more nodes join, it more it takes to the
    last node to join, since lots of beacons are transmitted.
[12:01] AOB?
    o   Diego: There is a recent paper from external authors proposing a new SF
    variant, where SF0 performances are exposed. o   Pascal: Can you please
    provide a link on the ML? o   Diego: Will share the link on the ML. o  
    First step: agree on the scope
[12:05] Meeting adjourned, people may stay for a demo by Malisa.