Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2017-iesg-25 2017-12-14 15:00
minutes-interim-2017-iesg-25-201712141500-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2017-12-14 15:00
Title Minutes interim-2017-iesg-25 2017-12-14 15:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2017-iesg-25-201712141500-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the December 14, 2017 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES 
--------------------------------- 
Alia Atlas (Juniper) / Routing Area
Ignas Bagdonas / Scribe
Deborah Brungard (AT&T) / Routing Area
Ben Campbell (Oracle) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Benoit Claise (Cisco) / Operations and Management Area
Alissa Cooper (Cisco) / IETF Chair, General Area
Michelle Cotton (ICANN) / IANA Liaison 
Spencer Dawkins (Wonder Hamster Internetworking) / Transport Area
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison 
Ted Hardie (Google) / IAB Chair
Suresh Krishnan (Kaloom) / Internet Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (ETH Zurich) / Transport Area
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
John Leslie / Scribe 
Terry Manderson (ICANN) / Internet Area
Alexey Melnikov / Applications and Real-Time Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat 
Kathleen Moriarty (Dell EMC) / Security Area
Eric Rescorla (Mozilla) / Security Area
Adam Roach (Mozilla) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Portia Wenze-Danley (ISOC) / Interim IAD
Suzanne Woolf / IAB Liaison

REGRETS 
---------------------------------
Heather Flanagan / RFC Series Editor
Susan Hares / Scribe 
Carlos Pignataro (Cisco) / Scribe
Alvaro Retana (Cisco) / Routing Area


OBSERVERS
--------------------------------- 
John Klensin
Michael Richardson
Greg Wood


MINUTES 
--------------------------------- 
1. Administrivia 
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the November 30, 2017 Teleconference were approved. The 
Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the November 30, 2017 Teleconference were 
approved pending edits to be provided by Ignas Bagdonas. The Secretariat 
will place the minutes in the public archives.


1.2 Documents Approved since the November 30, 2017 IESG Teleconference 
1.2.1 Protocol Actions
  o draft-ietf-ccamp-ospf-availability-extension-13  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-wu-l3sm-rfc8049bis-11  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-baeuerle-netnews-cancel-lock-09  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-bess-evpn-etree-14  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Action
  NONE

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:
  o Adam Roach to find a designated expert for RFC-ietf-webpush-vapid 
    [IANA #986138].
  o Kathleen Moriarty to find a designated expert for RFC-weis-gdoi-
    rekey-ack [IANA #987938].

IN PROGRESS:
  NONE

NEW:
  NONE

2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items
  o draft-ietf-ospf-segment-routing-extensions-24  - IETF stream
    OSPF Extensions for Segment Routing (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 5
    Token: Alia Atlas

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Alia Atlas. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-13  - IETF stream
    Segment Routing Architecture (Proposed Standard) - 2 of 5
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Alissa Cooper and Kathleen Moriarty.*

  o draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep-24  - IETF stream
    JavaScript Session Establishment Protocol (Proposed Standard) - 3 of 
    5
    Token: Adam Roach

Eric Rescorla formally recused himself from the discussion. The document 
was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be completed by Adam 
Roach. The Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol 
Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-anima-voucher-06  - IETF stream
    Voucher Profile for Bootstrapping Protocols (Proposed Standard) - 4 
    of 5
    Token: Terry Manderson

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol Action 
Announcement once Terry Manderson confirms that the announcement is 
ready to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-intarea-probe-09  - IETF stream
    PROBE: A Utility For Probing Interfaces (Proposed Standard) - 5 of 5
    Token: Suresh Krishnan

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Suresh Krishnan. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

2.1.2 Returning items   
  o draft-ietf-stir-certificates-16 - IETF stream
    Secure Telephone Identity Credentials: Certificates (Proposed
    Standard) - 1 of 3
    Token: Adam Roach

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol Action 
Announcement once Adam Roach confirms that the announcement is ready to 
be sent.

  o draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-14  - IETF stream
    A YANG Data Model for Layer 3 Topologies (Proposed Standard) - 2 of 
    3
    Token: Alia Atlas

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benoit Claise.*

  o draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo-19  - IETF stream
    A Data Model for Network Topologies (Proposed Standard) - 3 of 3
    Token: Alia Atlas

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Kathleen Moriarty.*

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  o draft-wu-l3sm-rfc8049bis-11  - IETF stream
    YANG Data Model for L3VPN Service Delivery (Proposed Standard) - 1 
    of 1
    Token: Alissa Cooper

The document was approved by the IESG using the single DISCUSS approval 
procedure on December 7, 2017. The Secretariat sent an individual 
submission Protocol Action Announcement. The IESG asked the RFC Editor 
to expedite processing of the document.

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
  o draft-ietf-spring-ipv6-use-cases-11  - IETF stream
    IPv6 SPRING Use Cases (Informational) - 1 of 6
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Alvaro Retana. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-spring-resiliency-use-cases-11  - IETF stream
    Resiliency use cases in SPRING networks (Informational) - 2 of 6
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Alvaro Retana. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-spring-oam-usecase-09  - IETF stream
    A Scalable and Topology-Aware MPLS Dataplane Monitoring System
    (Informational) - 3 of 6
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Alvaro Retana. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-central-epe-07  - IETF stream
    Segment Routing Centralized BGP Egress Peer Engineering
    (Informational) - 4 of 6
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Alvaro Retana. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-anima-prefix-management-06  - IETF stream
    Autonomic IPv6 Edge Prefix Management in Large-scale Networks
    (Informational) - 5 of 6
    Token: Terry Manderson

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Terry Manderson. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-12  - IETF stream
    Graceful BGP session shutdown (Informational) - 6 of 6
    Token: Warren Kumari

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Alvaro Retana.*

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  NONE

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items
  NONE

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items
  o conflict-review-liu-policy-based-management-framework-01
    IETF conflict review for draft-liu-policy-based-management-
      framework-00
      SUPA Policy-based Management Framework (ISE: Informational) - 1 of 
      3
    Token: Benoit Claise

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response 
prepared by Benoit Claise.

  o conflict-review-klensin-dns-function-considerations-01
    IETF conflict review for draft-klensin-dns-function-
      considerations-04
      DNS Privacy, Authorization, Special Uses, Encoding, Characters,
    Matching, and Root Structure: Time for Another Look? (ISE:
    Informational) - 2 of 3
    Token: Terry Manderson

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response 
prepared by Terry Manderson.

  o conflict-review-seantek-pkcs8-encrypted-01
    IETF conflict review for draft-seantek-pkcs8-encrypted-03
      The PKCS #8 EncryptedPrivateKeyInfo Media Type (ISE:
    Informational) - 3 of 3
    Token: Alexey Melnikov

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response 
prepared by Alexey Melnikov.

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  NONE

4.1.2 Proposed for approval
  o Software Updates for Internet of Things (suit) - 1 of 1
    Area: SEC (Kathleen Moriarty)

The IESG approved the charter for the new working group. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action announcement. 

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review
  NONE

4.2.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues
6.1 [IANA #989331] Acceptance of media-type registration from standards 
    organization HL7 (Alexey Melnikov)

The management item was deferred to the next IESG teleconference 
(January 11, 2018).

6.2 [IANA #990872] Approval for media type application/pkcs8-encrypted 
    (Amanda Baber / IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved the media type 
application/pkcs8-encrypted.

6.3 Designated Experts for "Constrained RESTful Environments (CoRE) 
    Parameters Registry" (Alexey Melnikov)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Carsten Bormann 
<cabo@tzi.org> and Jaime Jiménez <jaime.jimenez@ericsson.com> as the new 
primary designated experts for the "Constrained RESTful Environments 
(CoRE) Parameters Registry."

6.4 [IANA #987938] Designated expert for RFC-weis-gdoi-rekey-ack 
    (Kathleen Moriarty)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Brian Weis 
<bew@cisco.com> as a Designated Expert for RFC-weis-gdoi-rekey-ack.

6.5 [IANA #986138] Designated expert for RFC 8292 (Adam Roach)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Martin Thomson 
<martin.thomson@gmail.com> as designated expert for RFC 8292 (RFC-ietf-
webpush-vapid).

6.6 IETF 101 and 102 Important Dates (Alexa Morris / IETF Secretariat)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved the important 
dates for IETF 101 and 102 pending the removal of one of the dates for 
102.

6.7 IESG management of Designated Experts for non-IETF RFC publication 
    streams (Alexey Melnikov)

The management issue was discussed.

6.8 Executive Session: Selection of IAOC candidate (Alissa Cooper)

Kathleen Moriarty recused herself from the discussion and left the 
meeting. The management issue was discussed in an executive session.

6.9 [IANA #992357] Renewing early allocation for draft-ietf-tokbind-
    negotiation (Amanda Baber / IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG agreed to renew the early 
allocation for draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation.

6.10 Choices on what to do with early allocations no longer needed 
     (Michelle Cotton)

The management issue was discussed. 

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)



-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/) 
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.