Minutes interim-2018-alto-01: Tue 06:00
Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
||Minutes interim-2018-alto-01: Tue 06:00
ALTO Virtual Interim Meeting
Dec-11-2018 1300 - 1500 CET
Raw notes taken by Kai Gao and Vijay K. Gurbani
Intro and agenda bash (slides at )
- alto-cost-calendar and alto-xdom in IESG evaluation.
- alto-incr-updates in WGLC
- as WG docs: alto-cdn-fci, alto-path-vector, alto-unified-props-new
Agenda bashed and accepted. Plea by chairs to focus on finishing current
charter work as soon as possible.
alto-cost-calendar (slides at )
Sabine briefed the WG on the status of the draft. It appears that IESG
needs a revised I-D to take care of two DISCUSS items: one is related
to IPR and the second is related to design issue (see slides 4-6 of ).
Some discussion ensued on how to proceed with respect to soliciting the
changes resulting from the DISCUSSes in the WG. It was decided that a new
I-D will be produced and a new WGLC will occur in the WG to ensure that
the changes from the existing DISCUSS are okay. Subsequent to the new
WGLC, the document will be sent back to the IESG.
alto-unified-props-new (slides at )
Jensen presented the work. Sabine had some comments on the difference
between identifiers and property names. Discussion ensued at mic, and
it was subsequently decided that:
- Sabine to post the question on mailing list;
- Sabine and Jensen drive consensus to close/answer the question;
- A new I-D reflecting the consensus appears in the archives;
- Pursuant to above, chairs to issue a WGLC on the new I-D.
alto-incr-update-sse (slides at )
The draft has been in WGLC for a while. Richard noted a couple of places
where the WG attention is needed:
- Whether the new Section 11 should be moved to the appendix?
- What to do if the media type has commas (which are not allowed in current
Regarding the first issue, some discussion ensued, but no particular
consensus reached on whether Section 11 should be moved. Richard to
close this issue on the WG mailing list.
Regarding the second issue, Richard to send email to IANA media type expert
and reach an equitable solution.
Pursuant to the above two issues being closed, the WG can move this draft
out of WGLC and towards IESG.
alto-path-vector (slides at )
Richard went through the work. Some discussion ensued between Richard and
Kai on why costmap/propmap in the request if the response is always
multipart? In the interest of time, this discussion was requested to be
moved to the list.
Vijay noted that the draft needed an in-depth review before we move to
WGLC. It was pointed out that Sabine has done such a review. Will move
to WGLC once the discussion between Richard and Kai comes to a consensus.
alto-cdni-request-routing-alto (slides at )
Shawn presented the document and informed the WG that he may not be
able to finish the work as the draft may benefit from some new
optimization work. There was general discussion that coalesced around
the fact that Shawn should wrap up this document in its current form
to attend to cdni footprints and leave optimizations for a later revision
to the RFC-to-be.
That seemed to be agreeable to Shawn. Shawn to drive the work to
The remaining drafts were individual drafts.
zhang-alto-multipart (slides at )
Jensen presented the work and ask two questions:
- Should we design a domain-specific query language for ALTO?
- How interested would the WG be in such work?
Clearly, what to do with this work is a question that can start to be
answered once ALTO is done with its current charter. The work looks
interesting in general.
xiang-alto-multidomain-analytics (slides at )
Qiao presented the work. Vijay commented that this is really interesting
work that has informed both the academic community (SC 18) and the
Mirja noted that the work is not in the current ALTO charter, but that
due to the applicability of the work to ALTO, the work could conceivably
proceed in the IESG stream.
lachosrothenberg-alto-brokermdo (slides at )
Danny presented the work. Vijay noted that there are some concrete
extensions to ALTO worth exploration. However, any such discussion will
need to be undertaken after the WG is done with the current charter