Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2019-iesg-06 2019-03-07 15:00
minutes-interim-2019-iesg-06-201903071500-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2019-03-07 15:00
Title Minutes interim-2019-iesg-06 2019-03-07 15:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2019-iesg-06-201903071500-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the March 7, 2019 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES 
--------------------------------- 
Ignas Bagdonas (Equinix) /  Operations and Management Area
Deborah Brungard (AT&T) / Routing Area
Ben Campbell (Oracle) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Alissa Cooper (Cisco) / IETF Chair, General Area
Michelle Cotton (ICANN) / IANA Liaison 
Spencer Dawkins (Wonder Hamster Internetworking) / Transport Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison 
Ted Hardie (Google) / IAB Chair
Benjamin Kaduk (Akamai Technologies) / Security Area
Suresh Krishnan (Kaloom) / Internet Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (ETH Zurich) / Transport Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Eric Rescorla (Mozilla) / Security Area
Alvaro Retana (Huawei) / Routing Area
Adam Roach (Mozilla) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Jeff Tantsura (Apstra) / IAB Liaison 
Martin Vigoureux (Nokia) / Routing Area
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Incoming Internet Area
Magnus Westerlund (Ericsson) / Incoming Transport Area

REGRETS 
---------------------------------
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Incoming Security Area
Heather Flanagan / RFC Series Editor
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Barry Leiba (Huawei) / Incoming Applications and Real-Time Area
Terry Manderson (ICANN) / Internet Area
Alexey Melnikov / Applications and Real-Time Area
Portia Wenze-Danley (ISOC) / Interim LLC Executive Director

OBSERVERS
--------------------------------- 
Henk Birkholz
Greg Wood


MINUTES 
--------------------------------- 
1. Administrivia 
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the February 21, 2019 Teleconference were approved. The 
Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the February 21, 2019 Teleconference were 
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The minutes of the IETF 104 BoF Coordination Teleconference were 
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the February 21, 2019 IESG Teleconference 

1.2.1 Protocol Actions
  o draft-ietf-regext-change-poll-12  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions
  o draft-op3ft-leaptofrogans-uri-scheme-07  (Informational)

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:
  o Warren Kumari and Spencer Dawkins to develop the spherical routing 
    topic. 
  o Ben Campbell to find designated experts for RFC 8506 [IANA 
    #1137331].

IN PROGRESS:
  o Alvaro Retana to send email to the IESG with proposed re-labeling of 
    scheduling conflicts.
  o Suresh Krishnan to discuss naming experts for the registries created 
    by draft-irtf-icnrg-ccnxsemantics with Allison Mankin.
  o Ben Campbell to write up text on the IESG's expectations regarding 
    conflicts of interest and the disclosure of funding sources.
  o Suresh Krishnan to draft a new proposed IESG Statement on the 
    procedure to reference material behind a paywall, that includes the 
    existing text and adds comments from the discussion, Eric Rescorla, 
    and Barry Leiba.
  o Roman Danyliw and Barry Leiba to identify and catalogue common  
    problematic and inappropriate behaviors from individuals in the IETF 
    community both at in-person meetings and on email lists.
  o Barry Leiba talk with the EDU Team on the Working Group Chairs 
    Forum agenda, possibly adding an item to discuss agenda conflicts 
    and unstructured time.

NEW:
  o Suresh Krishnan to report on the progress of the response to the 
    Liaison Statement on "Request to update the IoT and SC&C Standards 
    Roadmap and the list of contact points."

2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items 
  o draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-arch-18  - IETF stream
    WebRTC Security Architecture (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 8
    Token: Adam Roach

Eric Rescorla formally recused himself from the discussion. The document 
remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve points raised 
by Benjamin Kaduk and Alexey Melnikov.*

  o draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-11  - IETF stream
    Security Considerations for WebRTC (Proposed Standard) - 2 of 8
    Token: Adam Roach

Eric Rescorla formally recused himself from the discussion. The document 
was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The Secretariat will 
send a working group submission Protocol Action Announcement once Adam 
Roach confirms that the announcement is ready to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-rtcweb-ip-handling-11  - IETF stream
    WebRTC IP Address Handling Requirements (Proposed Standard) - 3 of 8
    Token: Adam Roach

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Adam Roach. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-kitten-pkinit-alg-agility-06  - IETF stream
    PKINIT Algorithm Agility (Proposed Standard) - 4 of 8
    Token: Benjamin Kaduk

The document was deferred to the next teleconference (March 14, 2019) 
by Eric Rescorla.

  o draft-ietf-sipcore-reason-q850-loc-06  - IETF stream
    ISUP Cause Location Parameter for the SIP Reason Header Field
    (Proposed Standard) - 5 of 8
    Token: Ben Campbell

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk and Adam Roach.*

  o draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec-07  - IETF stream
    Best Practices for Securing RTP Media Signaled with SIP (Best
    Current Practice) - 6 of 8

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

  o draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05  - IETF stream
    An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane for Service Function Chaining
    (Proposed Standard) - 7 of 8
    Token: Deborah Brungard

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Alissa Cooper, Benjamin Kaduk, and Eric Rescorla.*

  o draft-ietf-nfsv4-mv1-msns-update-04  - IETF stream
    NFS Version 4.1 Update for Multi-Server Namespace (Proposed
    Standard) - 8 of 8
    Token: Spencer Dawkins

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

2.1.2 Returning items    
  o draft-ietf-jmap-core-15  - IETF stream
    JSON Meta Application Protocol (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 2
    Token: Alexey Melnikov

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk and Mirja Kuehlewind.*

  o draft-ietf-jmap-mail-15  - IETF stream
    JMAP for Mail (Proposed Standard) - 2 of 2
    Token: Alexey Melnikov

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items    
  o draft-ietf-rmcat-eval-test-09  - IETF stream
    Test Cases for Evaluating RMCAT Proposals (Informational) - 1 of 1
    Token: Mirja Kuehlewind

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Mirja Kuehlewind. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  NONE

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items
  NONE

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items
  NONE

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  o Relay User Machine (rum) - 1 of 1
    Area: ART (Adam Roach)

The IESG approved the draft WG charter for IETF review pending a check 
by Adam Roach on whether there is an acronym collision. The Secretariat 
will send a WG Review announcement, with a separate message to new-
work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will place the WG on the agenda for the 
IESG Teleconference on April 11, 2019.

4.1.2 Proposed for approval
  o Remote ATtestation ProcedureS (rats) - 1 of 1
    Area: SEC (Benjamin Kaduk)

The IESG approved the charter for the new working group. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action announcement. 

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review
  NONE

4.2.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 Response to Liaison Statement on “Request to update the IoT and SC&C 
   Standards Roadmap and the list of contact points" (Suresh Krishnan)

The management issue was discussed.

Action item: Suresh Krishnan to report on the progress of the response 
to the Liaison Statement on "Request to update the IoT and SC&C 
Standards Roadmap and the list of contact points."

6.2 IESG agendas at IETF 104 (Alissa Cooper)

The management issue was discussed.

6.3 [IANA #1137331] Designated experts for RFC 8506 (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Jouni Korhonen 
<jouni.nospam@gmail.com> and Lionel Morand <lionel.morand@orange.com> as 
the designated experts for the registries in RFC 8506.

6.4 Change to handling for iesg-only mailing list (Secretariat)

The management issue was discussed.

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

8. Tools Team Report -- 26 February 2019

1. Datatracker Projects
  - The merge plan was recently updated.
    -- See http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan
    -- One thing to highlight is the upcoming change to the way the
       datatracker sends email so that it will no longer appear to
       be spoofing the From field.
    -- Another thing to highlight is the increased the priority of
       the shift from Python 2 to Python 3. This increased priority
       is because Python 2 is being officially deprecated, and it will
       no longer receive maintenance starting January 2020.

2. Community & Other Projects
  - Turning off MHonArc went very smoothly.  However, it was discovered
    that some private lists use the pipermail archives that are built
    into Mailman.  All the pipermail archives are private; they are
    only searchable by the Secretariat.  The Tools Team is doing further
    research to come up with the best way forward for these archives.
    This is a very low priority since the archives can only be accessed
    by the Secretariat.
  - Torchbox has completed their last major deliverable for the IETF
    website, which uses Wagtail 2.2.2.  The Tools Team plans to shift
    the website-related open source code into our own public code
    repository.
  - The Secretariat is blocked on deploying this latest website
    deliverable.  Currently, the IETF server uses Apache (mod_wsgi) for
    python applications, but that only allows one version of python.
    The Datatracker and and Mail Archive use Python 2.7, but Wagtail
    dropped support for python 2.7 at Wagtail 2.0.  Robert Sparks is
    working with the Secretariat to figure out a reasonable way for
    Python 2 and Python 3 to be used at the same time.  The plan is to
    eventually move everything to Python 3, but it will not happen
    in just a few weeks.

3. RFC Services Projects
  - Support for the v3 schema for I-D submission is almost ready.  The
    tools should be in place to allow the new format to be used when
    the I-D repository reopens on 25 March 2019 during the Prague IETF
    meeting.  The IESG needs to make a policy decision about when I-D
    in this format can be submitted to the IESG for publication on the
    IETF stream.
  - The RFC Production Center is testing the tools related to the new
    format.  A few additions are being made to IDnits under warranty.
    Since the RFC Production Center does not use IDnits, this is not
    impacting the test schedule.
  - The Tools Team is working on a Statement of Work for the security
    review of tools used by the RFC Production Center.  The tools used
    for the new format will be reviewed since the ones related to the
    old format are about to be put in mothballs.
  - The Tools Team is working on a Statement of Work for rendering of
    errata in a more useful way.  Some prototype efforts are informing
    this work.

4. Server Infrastructure
  - The custom DMARC-handling software was deployed for all mail lists
    in June 2018, but there is a desire to move away from the custom
    software to ARC.  The ARC software cannot be configured to handle
    just a few of our mail lists.  Requirements were provided to the
    ARC developers, but so far, they have not offered a release date.
    Alexey continues to try to get a response from the ARC developers,
    but so far we are only getting silence.

5. YANG Catalog
  - Planning for the operation of the yangcatalog.org to be transferred
    to the IETF Secretariat is underway.  A few significant things to
    highlight:
    -- The Tools Team developed a Statement of Work for assistance with
       the transition and the addition of the yandvalidator open source
       to the site.  Bids were received, and the Tools Team recommended
       a winner.  The Interim Executive Director is negotiating a
       contract.  The winner is expected to be in Prage and participate
       in the Hackathon.
    -- The yangcatalog.org service will run on different hardware than
       ietf.org.  It will be "in the cloud."  This will allow the Tools
       Team to determine whether this is a useful management model for
       other IETF-related services.
  - The registration for yangcatalog.com needs to be transferred to the
    IETF Trust before the site can move to a Tools-Team-driven
    maintenance model.

-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/) 
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.