Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2020-iesg-12 2020-05-21 14:00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2020-05-21 14:00
Title Minutes interim-2020-iesg-12 2020-05-21 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

Minutes of the May 21, 2020 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

Deborah Brungard (AT&T) / Routing Area
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Alissa Cooper (Cisco) / IETF Chair, General Area
Michelle Cotton (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area
Martin Duke / F5 Networks Inc / Transport Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison
Wes Hardaker (USC/ISI) / IAB Liaison
Benjamin Kaduk (Akamai Technologies) / Security Area
Erik Kline / Loon LLC / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy / Facebook / Applications and Real-Time Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Barry Leiba (Futurewei Technologies) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Alvaro Retana (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Magnus Westerlund (Ericsson) / Transport Area
Robert Wilton / Cisco Systems / Operations and Management Area

Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director
Martin Vigoureux (Nokia) / Routing Area
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area

Tim Costello
Mike Jones
Brenda Lyons
Greg Wood

1. Administrivia 
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the May 7, 2020 Teleconference were approved. The 
Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the May 7, 2020 Teleconference were 
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the May 7, 2020 IESG Teleconference
1.2.1 Protocol Actions
  o draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-09  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-15  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions
1.3 Review of Action Items

  o Warren Kumari to find designated experts for RFC-ietf-anima-
    bootstrapping-keyinfra [IANA #1169514].


  o Roman Danyliw to draft text to be posted on about reporting 
    protocol vulnerabilities via an email alias and possible procedures 
    on how to assign triage resources. 
  o Martin Vigoureux with Wes, and Alvaro to work on some
    mechanism to obtain wider or private feedback from people who are 
    disenfranchised; anonymous flagging of offensive emails to inform 
    leadership; more opportunities for private feedback.
  o Alvaro Retana and Barry Leiba, with Warren Kumari, Alexey Melnikov, 
    Martin Vigoureux, and Roman Danyliw to work on more transparency in 
    the Datatracker about how long each phase of doc process takes / New 
    datatracker flag to indicate who has the ball: area directors, 
    authors, or chairs.
  o Warren Kumari and Alexey Melnikov to add keyword tags to WG charters 
    to identify specs that pertain to some general concept.
  o Alvaro Retana to work on a framework for analyzing new proposals. 
  o Warren Kumari to work on acknowledging shepherds, directorate 
    reviewers in a more standardized/formal way.
  o Eric Vyncke to write up draft text on Special Interest 
    Groups and send to the IESG for comment.
  o Alvaro Retana, Benjamin Kaduk, and Murray Kucherawy to look at 
    updating the I-D Checklist.
  o Eric Vyncke (with Suresh Krishnan) to write a draft of an IoT 
    Systems charter.
  o Erik Kline to find designated experts for the IPv6 Low Power 
    Personal Area Network Parameters registries [IANA #1163481].
  o All ADs (and Colin for the IRTF) to go through the keywords 
    Google Sheet and curate the list of keywords per working group 
    in their area.


2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items
  o draft-ietf-ospf-mpls-elc-13  - IETF stream
    Signaling Entropy Label Capability and Entropy Readable Label Depth
    Using OSPF (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 3
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

  o draft-ietf-isis-mpls-elc-12  - IETF stream
    Signaling Entropy Label Capability and Entropy Readable Label Depth
    Using IS-IS (Proposed Standard) - 2 of 3
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

  o draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-18  - IETF stream
    Structured Field Values for HTTP (Proposed Standard) - 3 of 3
    Token: Barry Leiba

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk and Magnus Westerlund.*

2.1.2 Returning items

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items

2.2.2 Returning items

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items

2.3.2 Returning items

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
  o draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints-14  - IETF stream
    HTTP Client Hints (Experimental) - 1 of 2
    Token: Barry Leiba

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Barry Leiba. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-opsawg-sdi-11  - IETF stream
    Secure Device Install (Informational) - 2 of 2
    Token: Robert Wilton

Warren Kumari formally recused himself from the discussion. The document 
remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve points raised 
by Roman Danyliw and Benjamin Kaduk.*

3.1.2 Returning items

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  o draft-ietf-rtcweb-sdp-12  - IETF stream
    Annotated Example SDP for WebRTC (Informational) - 1 of 2
    Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk and Magnus Westerlund.*

  o draft-hodges-webauthn-registries-08  - IETF stream
    Registries for Web Authentication (WebAuthn) (Informational) - 2 of 
    Token: Benjamin Kaduk

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Magnus Westerlund.*

3.2.2 Returning items

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items

3.3.2 Returning items

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items
  o conflict-review-ucarion-json-type-definition-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-ucarion-json-type-definition
      JSON Type Definition (ISE: Experimental) - 1 of 1
    Token: Barry Leiba

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response prepared by Barry Leiba.

3.4.2 Returning items

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  o Multiplexed Application Substrate over QUIC Encryption (masque)
    Area: TSV (Martin Duke)

The IESG approved the draft WG charter for IETF review pending edits to 
the text of the charter to be provided by Martin Duke. The Secretariat 
will send a WG Review announcement, with a separate message to new- The Secretariat will place the WG on the agenda for the 
next IESG Teleconference (June 11, 2020).

4.1.2 Proposed for approval

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review

4.2.2 Proposed for approval

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 Designated Expert for draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra [IANA 
    #1169514] (Warren Kumari)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Michael Richardson 
<> as a designated expert for draft-ietf-anima-

6.2 Executive Session: IETF 108 Registration (Alissa Cooper)

The management issue was discussed in an executive session. 

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

8. Tools Team Report -- 12 May 2020

1. Hot Topics
  - There is a bug in xml2rfc (when a <dl> nested within a <dl>) that
    is blocking the publication of an RFC.  This has been reported as
    ticket 508, and it is being investigated.
  - Investigating ways for Meetecho to be able to support virtual
    interim meetings and virtual IETF meetings.
  - Some people are asking for changes to the content of the .ics file
    on the upcoming meetings page. Additionally, there are calendaring
    related suggestions to consider in the feedback from the recent
    survey on planning for online IETF meetings.

2. Development Projects
  - A review session was held with the Secretariat on the new meeting
    schedule editor.  The Secretariat asked for many improvements.
    They have been sent to IOLA.
  - Dashcare has started work on the automatic schedule generator.
  - ZX Security done an initial security review of the RPC code, and
    they have provided an initial set of comments.  Discussion with
    the RPC staff is the next step.
  - Several Datatracker changes regarding interim meetings were made
    at the request of the IESG.  (See many details at
  - We have a request from the IAB to allow their programs to request
    meetings and manage materials similar to IETF WGs/IRTF RGs.  This
    has been implemented; it will be part of an upcoming release.
  - The Datatracker transition to Django2 is nearing completion.
  - The Wagtail portion of the IETF website has been upgraded to
    Django2 and a recent release of Wagtail. This required the removal
    of some local extensions to the deprecated Hallo editor.  The
    transition of some of the extensions to the newer Draftrail is
    under investigation. It is now easier to keep the IETF website
    project aligned with new releases of Wagtail as they come out.
  - An instance of CodiMD has been deployed for experimentation.  The
    IETF WG chairs were informed, but it has not seen much use yet.
  - A tool was provided to help advance the NomCom eligibility
    discussion.  Real data is important to that discussion.

3. Operations Projects
  - Yesterday, the IETF website got a flood of malformed URLs. A
    filter is now in place to keep them from harming the site.
  - An experiment is just starting with fronting some of the proxied
    applications with nginx.  If this works out well, the outer layer
    of Apache will be replaced by nginx,

4. Planning for upcoming projects
  - We have NOT issued the RFP for GitHub backups for two reasons.
    First, it is unclear there is anyone with a product that could bid.
    Second, Martin Thomson and Mike Bishop have created a bespoke
    solution that will likely serve our needs.  It needs to be
    expanded to backup open Pull Requests, but once this is done, it
    looks like a promising way forward.
  - There have been several suggestions around a revision of the
    errata verification system. Robert is collecting requirements for
    a possible upcoming project.

5. Are there any unmet needs?
  - No unmet needs were reported to the Tool Team this month.

6. Other
  - Henrik Levkowetz will be the Tools Team advisor for the upcoming
  - A virtual codesprint will take place on 19 May 2020.
  - The Tools Team is being re-structured into an implementation group
    and an at-large group.
    -- The new Tools Team chair will be Robert Sparks.
    -- The implementation group will be Robert Sparks, Henrik Levkowetz,
       Russ Housley, Glen Barney, Alexey Melnikov, and Roman Danyliw.
    -- The at-large group will be Ben Campbell, Bob Hinden, Éric Vyncke,
       Jari Arkko, John Levine, Julian Reschke, Rich Salz, Tero Kivinen,
       Tony Hansen, Alexa Morris, Alice Russo, Karen Moreland, Liz 
       Flynn, Ryan Cross, Cindy Morgan, Sandy Ginoza, and Jay Daley.

* Please see the Datatracker ( 
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.