Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2020-iesg-18 2020-08-13 14:00
minutes-interim-2020-iesg-18-202008131400-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2020-08-13 14:00
Title Minutes interim-2020-iesg-18 2020-08-13 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2020-iesg-18-202008131400-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the August 13, 2020 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES
---------------------------------
Deborah Brungard (AT&T) / Routing Area
Alissa Cooper (Cisco) / IETF Chair, General Area
Michelle Cotton (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area
Martin Duke / F5 Networks Inc / Transport Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison
Benjamin Kaduk (Akamai Technologies) / Security Area
Erik Kline / Loon LLC / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy / Facebook / Applications and Real-Time Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Barry Leiba (Futurewei Technologies) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Alvaro Retana (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Martin Vigoureux (Nokia) / Routing Area
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area
Robert Wilton / Cisco Systems / Operations and Management Area

REGRETS
---------------------------------
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director
Wes Hardaker (USC/ISI) / IAB Liaison
Magnus Westerlund (Ericsson) / Transport Area

OBSERVERS
---------------------------------
John Bradley
Chris Box
Toerless Eckert
Timothy McSweeney
David Millman
Nat Sakimura

MINUTES
---------------------------------
1. Administrivia
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the July 9, 2020 and July 16, 2020 Teleconferences were
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the July 9, 2020 and July 16, 2020
Teleconferences were approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in
the public archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the July 16, 2020 IESG Teleconference
1.2.1 Protocol Actions
  o draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider-17  (Best Current Practice)
  o draft-ietf-regext-data-escrow-10  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-stir-passport-divert-09  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions
  o draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-33  (Experimental)
  o draft-ietf-cose-rfc8152bis-algs-11  (Informational)

    
1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:
  o Magnus Westerlund to find designated experts for the RDMA-CM Private
    Data Identifiers registry (RFC8797) [IANA #1173341].
  o Ben Kaduk to find designated experts for RFC 8784 [IANA #1173591].
  o Eric Vyncke to find designated experts for RFC 8801 [IANA #1175284].


IN PROGRESS:
  o Martin Vigoureux with Wes, and Alvaro to work on some
    mechanism to obtain wider or private feedback from people who are
    disenfranchised; anonymous flagging of offensive emails to inform
    leadership; more opportunities for private feedback.
  o Alvaro Retana and Barry Leiba, with Warren Kumari, Alexey Melnikov,
    Martin Vigoureux, and Roman Danyliw to work on more transparency in
    the Datatracker about how long each phase of doc process takes / New
    datatracker flag to indicate who has the ball: area directors,
    authors, or chairs.
  o Warren Kumari to work on acknowledging shepherds, directorate
    reviewers in a more standardized/formal way.
  o Eric Vyncke to write up draft text on Special Interest
    Groups and send to the IESG for comment.
  o Alvaro Retana, Benjamin Kaduk, and Murray Kucherawy to look at
    updating the I-D Checklist.
  o Eric Vyncke (with Suresh Krishnan) to write a draft of an IoT
    Systems charter.
  o Alvaro Retana and Martin Vigoureux to draft text on guidance
    regarding the number of document authors on documents.
  o Alvaro Retana, Rob Wilton, Alissa Cooper, and Martin Vigoureux to
    draft text on the framework for a long-term future plan for the
    IETF.
  o Roman Danyliw to draft text for a request to the Tools Team to move
    BoF requests from the BoF Wiki to the Datatracker.
  o Alvaro Retana, Warren Kumari, and Barry Leiba to draft clarifying
    text on Errata Best Practices.
  o Murray Kucherawy to find designated experts for content SDP
    Parameters, QoS Mechanism Tokens [IANA #1175036].

UPDATED:
  o Eric Vyncke to follow up on the suggestion at IETF 108 to share a
    list of grammar checking tools with the community.

NEW:
  NONE

2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items
  o draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-25  - IETF stream
    CoRE Resource Directory (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 5
    Token: Barry Leiba

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Roman Danyliw, Benjamin Kaduk, Erik Kline, and Eric
Vyncke.*

  o draft-ietf-lamps-rfc7030est-clarify-10  - IETF stream
    Clarification of Enrollment over Secure Transport (EST): transfer
    encodings and ASN.1 (Proposed Standard) - 2 of 5
    Token: Roman Danyliw

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be
completed by Roman Danyliw. The Secretariat will send a working group
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-ippm-route-09  - IETF stream
    Advanced Unidirectional Route Assessment (AURA) (Proposed Standard)
    - 3 of 5
    Token: Martin Duke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Warren Kumari.*

  o draft-ietf-dhc-v6only-07  - IETF stream
    IPv6-Only-Preferred Option for DHCPv4 (Proposed Standard) - 4 of 5
    Token: Éric Vyncke

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be
completed by Eric Vyncke. The Secretariat will send a working group
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel-23  - IETF stream
    MSRP over Data Channels (Proposed Standard) - 5 of 5
    Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document was approved by the IESG. The Secretariat will send a
working group submission Protocol Action Announcement.

2.1.2 Returning items    
  o draft-ietf-oauth-jwsreq-26  - IETF stream
    The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework: JWT Secured Authorization
    Request (JAR) (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 2
    Token: Roman Danyliw

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be
completed by Roman Danyliw. The Secretariat will send a working group
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-28  - IETF stream
    An Autonomic Control Plane (ACP) (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 2
    Token: Éric Vyncke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Roman Danyliw, Benjamin Kaduk, Erik Kline, and Barry
Leiba.*

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
  NONE

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
    o draft-allan-5g-fmc-encapsulation-05  - IETF stream
    5G Wireless Wireline Convergence User Plane Encapsulation (5WE)
    (Informational) - 1 of 1
    Token: Erik Kline

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Deborah Brungard, Alissa Cooper, and Alvaro Retana.*

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items   
  o status-change-comcast-congestion-management-rfc6057-to-historic-01  
    - IETF stream
    Change the status of Comcast Congestion Management (RFC 6057) to
    Historic
    Token: Martin Duke

The IESG agreed to change the status of RFC 6057 from Informational to
Historic. The Secretariat will send a Document Action Announcement.

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items
  o conflict-review-cooley-cnsa-dtls-tls-profile-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-cooley-cnsa-dtls-tls-profile
      draft-cooley-cnsa-dtls-tls-profile-04
      Commercial National Security Algorithm (CNSA) Suite Profile for
    TLS and DTLS 1.2 and 1.3 (ISE: Informational) - 1 of 3
    Token: Benjamin Kaduk

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response
prepared by Benjamin Kaduk.

  o conflict-review-moriarty-caris2-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-moriarty-caris2
      draft-moriarty-caris2-03
      Coordinating Attack Response at Internet Scale 2 (CARIS2)
    Workshop Report (ISE: Informational) - 2 of 3
    Token: Roman Danyliw

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response
prepared by Roman Danyliw.

  o conflict-review-irtf-cfrg-randomness-improvements-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-cfrg-randomness-improvements
      draft-irtf-cfrg-randomness-improvements-13
      Randomness Improvements for Security Protocols (IRTF:
    Informational) - 3 of 3
    Token: Roman Danyliw

The IESG has no problem with the IRTF publishing this document. The
Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the IRSG that
includes a conflict review response prepared by Roman Danyliw.

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  NONE

4.1.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review
  NONE

4.2.2 Proposed for approval
  o Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4) - 1 of 1
    Area: TSV (Magnus Westerlund)

The IESG approved the updated charter for the working group pending a
final check to be completed by Magnus Westerlund. The Secretariat will
send a WG Action: RECHARTER announcement.

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 IKEv2 Parameters DE updates (Ben Kaduk)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved adding Valery
Smyslov <valery@smyslov.net> as a designated expert for all of the IKEv2
Parameters registries (https://www.iana.org/assignments/ikev2-
parameters/ikev2-parameters.xhtml). The IESG also approved adding Tero
Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi> as a designated expert for the "IKEv2 Post-
quantum Preshared Key ID Types" registry.

6.2 IESG Positions - Desired Expertise descriptions (Martin Vigoureux)

The management issue was discussed.

6.3 [IANA #1175036] Designated experts for content SDP Parameters, QoS
    Mechanism Tokens (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. An action item to find designated
experts for the content SDP Parameters and QoS Mechanism Tokens
registries was assigned to Murray Kucherawy prior to the start of the
teleconference.

6.4 [IANA #1173341] Designated experts for the RDMA-CM Private Data
    Identifiers registry (RFC8797) (Magnus Westerlund)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Chuck Lever
<chuck.lever@oracle.com> as the designated expert for the RDMA-CM
Private Data Identifiers registry (RFC8797).

6.5 Designated Expert listing for URI.ARPA (Alissa Cooper)

The management issue was discussed.

6.6 [IANA #1175284] Designated experts for RFC 8801 (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Tommy Pauly
<tpauly@apple.com> and David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf@gmail.com> as the
designated experts for RFC 8801.

6.7 [IANA #1175507] Management Item: Acceptance of media type
    registration from standards organization OPC Foundation (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG asks IANA to process this
media-type request, and to add this organization to the 'Standards-
related organizations that have registered Media Types in the Standards
Tree.'

6.8 IETF Datatracker and number of positions required to pass a
    Standards Track Document (Secretariat)

The management issue was discussed.

6.9 IESG retreat (Alissa Cooper)

The management issue was discussed.

6.10 Executive Session: Terminology Threads (Alissa Cooper)

The management issue was discussed in an executive session.

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/)
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.