Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2021-iesg-11 2021-05-20 14:00
minutes-interim-2021-iesg-11-202105201400-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2021-05-20 14:00
Title Minutes interim-2021-iesg-11 2021-05-20 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2021-iesg-11-202105201400-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the May 20, 2021 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Jenny Bui, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES
---------------------------------
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Ben Campbell (Independent Consultant) / IAB Liaison
Michelle Cotton (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area
Martin Duke (F5 Networks Inc) / Transport Area
Lars Eggert (NetApp) / IETF Chair, General Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison
Benjamin Kaduk (Akamai Technologies) / Security Area
Erik Kline (Google) / Internet Area
Martin Vigoureux (Nokia) / Routing Area
Murray Kucherawy (Facebook) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Francesca Palombini (Ericsson) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Alvaro Retana (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
John Scudder (Juniper) / Routing Area
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area
Robert Wilton (Cisco Systems) / Operations and Management Area

REGRETS
---------------------------------
Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director
Zaheduzzaman (Zahed) Sarker (Ericsson) / Transport Area

OBSERVERS
---------------------------------
Peter van Dijk
Ketan Talaulikar
Matthaus Wander
Greg Wood

1. Administrivia
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the May 06, 2021 Teleconference were approved.
The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the May 06, 2021 Teleconference were
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives. 

1.2 Documents Approved since the May 06, 2021 IESG Teleconference
1.2.1 Protocol Actions
o draft-ietf-opsec-v6-27 (Informational)

1.2.2 Document Actions
 NONE
 
1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:
o Michelle Cotton to follow up on the documentation of IANA registries 
  and non-IETF publication streams.
 
IN PROGRESS:
o Alvaro Retana, Benjamin Kaduk, and Murray Kucherawy to look at 
  updating the I-D Checklist.
o Warren Kumari, Deborah Brungard, Stephen Farrell, and Jay Daley to 
  investigate ways to recruit, recognize, and retain volunteers in the 
  IETF.
o Alvaro Retana and Martin Vigoureux to draft a note to wgchairs asking 
  them to always confirm author/contributor status.
o Alvaro Retana and Martin Vigoureux to draft text to include in the I-D
  submission tool warning about too many authors.
o John Scudder and Martin Duke to review the document shepherd templates 
  and propose changes to include updated questions and cross-area 
  checks.
o Robert Wilton to draft text to expand the document shepherd write-up 
  section on use of YANG Models.
o Zahed Sarker and Michelle Cotton to draft text for prospective 
  Designated Experts on the basics of the IANA request process and "how 
  to be a designated expert."
o Michelle Cotton to add conflict of interest text to the introductory 
  email sent to new Designated Experts.
o Robert Wilton to follow up with the IESG on small group project 
  assignments regarding
  topics identified through the poll taken at the IESG retreat.  
o Martin Duke to draft a proposal for 360 degree reviews of the IESG 
  members.
o Eric Vyncke and Francesca Palombini to draft text for guidelines/best 
  practices for directorate reviewers.
o The IESG to report on the RFC 8989 experiment.

NEW:
 NONE
 
2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items
    
  o draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-14  - IETF stream
    Revised Validation Procedure for BGP Flow Specifications (Proposed
    Standard)
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol Action 
Announcement once Alvaro Retana confirms that the announcement is ready 
to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-bess-datacenter-gateway-11  - IETF stream
    Gateway Auto-Discovery and Route Advertisement for Segment Routing
    Enabled Domain Interconnection (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Vigoureux

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Roman Danyliw, Warren Kumari, and John Scudder.*

  o draft-ietf-babel-yang-model-10  - IETF stream
    YANG Data Model for Babel (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Vigoureux

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk and Warren Kumari.*

  o draft-ietf-lsr-isis-srv6-extensions-14  - IETF stream
    IS-IS Extension to Support Segment Routing over IPv6 Dataplane
    (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk and Erik Kline.*

  o draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-07  - IETF stream
    MVPN and MSDP SA Interoperation (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Vigoureux

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Martin Vigoureux. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

  o draft-ietf-idr-eag-distribution-17  - IETF stream
    Distribution of Traffic Engineering Extended Administrative Groups
    using BGP-LS (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Alvaro Retana

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol Action 
Announcement once Alvaro Retana confirms that the announcement is ready 
to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-netmod-geo-location-08  - IETF stream
    A YANG Grouping for Geographic Locations (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Robert Wilton

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Roman Danyliw, Lars Eggert, Benjamin Kaduk, and 
Francesca Palombini.*

  o draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-18  - IETF stream
    RTP-mixer formatting of multiparty Real-time text (Proposed
    Standard)
    Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

  o draft-ietf-opsawg-finding-geofeeds-12  - IETF stream
    Finding and Using Geofeed Data (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Robert Wilton

Warren Kumari formally recused himself from the discussion. The document 
remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve points raised 
by Benjamin Kaduk, Murray Kucherawy, and Francesca Palombini.*

  o draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-05  - IETF stream
    NSEC and NSEC3 TTLs and NSEC Aggressive Use (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Warren Kumari

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Warren Kumari. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Protocol Action Announcement.

2.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
  NONE

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  NONE

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items
  NONE

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items

  o conflict-review-yao-regext-bundling-registration-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-yao-regext-bundling-registration
      draft-yao-regext-bundling-registration-05
      Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) Domain Name Mapping
    Extension for Strict Bundling Registration (ISE: Informational)
    Token: Murray Kucherawy

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response
prepared by Murray Kucherawy.

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review

  o Serialising Extended Data About Times and Events (sedate)
    Area: ART (Francesca Palombini)

The IESG approved the draft WG charter for IETF review pending edits to
the text of the charter to be provided by Francesca Palombini. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, with a separate message 
to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will place the WG on the agenda
for the next IESG Teleconference (June 03, 2021).

4.1.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review
  NONE

4.2.2 Proposed for approval

  o Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME (lamps)
    Area: SEC (Roman Danyliw)

The IESG approved the revised charter for the working group pending
edits to the text of the charter to be provided by Roman Danyliw. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action announcement.

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 Publishing COI guidelines and statements (Lars Eggert)

The management issue was discussed.  

6.2 Finalizing IESG information for the NomCom (Lars Eggert)

The management issue was discussed. 

6.3 The update header (Francesca Palombini)

The management issue was discussed. 

6.4 Add Downref to RFC7497 to the registry (Martin Duke)

The management issue was discussed. 

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/)
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.