Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2021-iesg-23 2021-10-21 14:00
minutes-interim-2021-iesg-23-202110211400-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2021-10-21 14:00
Title Minutes interim-2021-iesg-23 2021-10-21 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2021-iesg-23-202110211400-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the October 21, 2021 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Jenny Bui, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES
---------------------------------
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Ben Campbell (Independent Consultant) / IAB Liaison
Michelle Cotton (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area
Martin Duke (F5 Networks Inc) / Transport Area 
Lars Eggert (NetApp) / IETF Chair, General Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison
Benjamin Kaduk (Akamai Technologies) / Security Area
Erik Kline (Google) / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy (Facebook) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Francesca Palombini (Ericsson) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Alvaro Retana (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
Zaheduzzaman (Zahed) Sarker (Ericsson) / Transport Area
John Scudder (Juniper) / Routing Area
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Martin Vigoureux (Nokia) / Routing Area
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area
Robert Wilton (Cisco Systems) / Operations and Management Area

REGRETS
---------------------------------
Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director

OBSERVERS
---------------------------------
Adrian Farrel
Lee-Berkeley Shaw
Donald Trump
Greg Wood
Zhaohui (Jeffrey) Zhang

MINUTES
---------------------------------
1. Administrivia
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the October 07, 2021 Teleconference were approved. 
The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the October 07, 2021 Teleconference were
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the October 07, 2021 IESG Teleconference

1.2.1 Protocol Actions
o draft-ietf-lsr-isis-srv6-extensions-18  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-httpbis-proxy-status-08  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-netconf-notification-capabilities-21  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-regext-epp-registry-maintenance-19  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-18  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-bess-evpn-proxy-arp-nd-16  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions
 NONE

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:

o The IESG to review the feedback on whether to continue the RFC 8989 
  experiment 2022-2023 cycle by October 7, 2021.
o Eric Vyncke to work with the Tools Team to update the references to 
  the BSD License in the Trust Legal Provisions in the various IETF 
  Tools.
o Greg Wood to update the references to the BSD License in the Trust 
  Legal Provisions on the IETF website.
o Francesca Palombini to find designated experts for RFC-ietf-httpbis-
  semantics-19 (HTTP Semantics) [IANA #1210675]. 

IN PROGRESS:    

o John Scudder, Martin Duke, and Robert Wilton to review the document 
  shepherd templates and propose changes to include updated questions, 
  cross-area checks, and an expanded section on the use of YANG models.
o Alvaro Retana and Martin Vigoureux to draft a note to wgchairs asking 
  them to always confirm author/contributor status.
o Alvaro Retana and Martin Vigoureux to draft text to include in the I-D 
  submission tool warning about too many authors.
o Murray Kucherawy to update BCP 97 to provide guidance about handling 
  normative references to non-SDO documents.
o Robert Wilton, Alvaro Retana, and Warren Kumari to report back to the 
  IESG on the impact of COVID-19 to the IETF in October 2021.
o Warren Kumari to rewrite the IESG blog post on "Handling IESG ballot 
  positions" as an IESG statement.
o Eric Vyncke to follow up with the Tools Team about updating the Last 
  Call template to include a pointer to 
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/in-last-call.
o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for RFC 8739 and RFC 9115 
  (Automated Certificate Management Environment (ACME)) [IANA #1210257].

NEW:
 NONE

2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items
    
  o draft-ietf-bess-evpn-optimized-ir-09  - IETF stream
    Optimized Ingress Replication solution for EVPN (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Vigoureux

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by John Scudder.*

  o draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bum-procedure-updates-11  - IETF stream
    Updates on EVPN BUM Procedures (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Vigoureux

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk, Lars Eggert, and Murray Kucherawy.*

  o draft-ietf-cbor-cddl-control-06  - IETF stream
    Additional Control Operators for CDDL (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Francesca Palombini

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol Action 
Announcement once Francesca Palombini confirms that the announcement is
ready to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-jmap-smime-09  - IETF stream
    S/MIME signature verification extension to JMAP (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Protocol Action 
Announcement once Murray Kucherawy confirms that the announcement
is ready to be sent.

  o draft-ietf-extra-quota-08  - IETF stream
    IMAP QUOTA Extension (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

2.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
  NONE

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  NONE

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items
  NONE

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items

  o conflict-review-zhu-intarea-gma-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-zhu-intarea-gma
    draft-zhu-intarea-gma-11
    Generic Multi-Access (GMA) Encapsulation Protocol (ISE:
    Experimental)
    Token: Erik Kline

The conflict review remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Benjamin Kaduk and Martin Duke.*

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  NONE

4.1.2 Proposed for approval

  o System for Cross-domain Identity Management (scim)
    Area: ART (Roman Danyliw)

The IESG approved the charter for the new working group. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action announcement. 

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review
  NONE

4.2.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 BCP14 terms in non-IETF streams (Lars Eggert)

The management issue was discussed.  

6.2 [IANA #1210675] Designated experts for RFC-ietf-httpbis-semantics-19 
    (HTTP Semantics) (Francesca Palombini)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Mark Nottingham 
<mnot@mnot.net> and Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> as the 
designated experts for RFC-ietf-httpbis-semantics-19 (HTTP Semantics).

6.3 [IANA #1206921] Renewal for early allocations for draft-ietf-lsr-
    flex-algo (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved renewing the early 
allocations for draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo.

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/)
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.