Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2021-iesg-26 2021-12-16 15:00
minutes-interim-2021-iesg-26-202112161500-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2021-12-16 15:00
Title Minutes interim-2021-iesg-26 2021-12-16 15:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2021-iesg-26-202112161500-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the December 16, 2021 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Jenny Bui, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES
---------------------------------
Amanda Baber (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Ben Campbell (Independent Consultant) / IAB Liaison
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area
Martin Duke (Google) / Transport Area 
Lars Eggert (NetApp) / IETF Chair, General Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison
Benjamin Kaduk (Akamai Technologies) / Security Area
Erik Kline (Google) / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy (Facebook) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Francesca Palombini (Ericsson) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Zaheduzzaman (Zahed) Sarker (Ericsson) / Transport Area
Alvaro Retana (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
John Scudder (Juniper) / Routing Area
Sabrina Tanamal (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Martin Vigoureux (Nokia) / Routing Area
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area
Robert Wilton (Cisco Systems) / Operations and Management Area

REGRETS
---------------------------------
Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director

OBSERVERS
---------------------------------
Ian Farrer
Paul Kyzivat
Greg Wood

MINUTES
---------------------------------
1. Administrivia
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the December 02, 2021 Teleconference were approved. 
The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes  December 02, 2021 Teleconference were approved. 
The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the December 02, 2021 IESG Teleconference

1.2.1 Protocol Actions
o draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data-17  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-pim-bfd-p2mp-use-case-10  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-extra-quota-10 (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions
 NONE

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:
o Murray Kucherawy to update BCP 97 to provide guidance about handling 
  normative references to non-SDO documents.
o Zahed Sarker to find designated experts for RFC-ietf-quic-http 
  (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Version 3 (HTTP/3))(http3-parameters) 
  [IANA #1217617].
o Warren Kumari to rewrite the IESG blog post on "Handling IESG ballot 
  positions" as an IESG statement.  
o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for RFC 9158 (SMI Security 
  for PKIX CRMF Registration Controls for Alternate Certificate Formats)
  (smi-numbers) [IANA #1217716].
 
IN PROGRESS:
o John Scudder, Martin Duke, and Robert Wilton to review the document 
  shepherd templates and propose changes to include updated questions, 
  cross-area checks, and an expanded section on the use of YANG models.
o Alvaro Retana and Martin Vigoureux to draft a note to wgchairs asking 
  them to always confirm author/contributor status.
o Alvaro Retana and Martin Vigoureux to draft text to include in the I-D 
  submission tool warning about too many authors.
o Robert Wilton, Alvaro Retana, and Warren Kumari to report back to the 
  IESG on the impact of COVID-19 to the IETF in March 2022.
o Francesca Palombini to draft a proposal for requirements for archiving 
  AUTH48 conversations between the RPC and authors/AD/working groups.       
o Zahed Sarker to find designated experts for multiple Bundle Protocol 
  Registries (bundle) [IANA #1217632].
o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for RFC 6931, (Additional XML 
  Security Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs))[IANA #1218411].

REMOVED:
o Martin Duke to draft a followup email to the community regarding the 
  ADs 360 degree reviews to include text regarding bringing issues to 
  the IETF ombudsteam.

NEW:
o Eric Vyncke to talk to the Tools Team about adding the page counts for 
  documents getting an RFC 5742 conflict review to the telechat page 
  count in the Datatracker.
o Murray Kucherawy to look into updating the guidance in BCP 13 on when 
  to add organizations to the "Standards-related organizations that have 
  registered Media Types in the Standards Tree" list.
o Francesca Palombini to draft text on a virtual BOF experiment.
o Francesca Palombini to come back to the IESG with a proposal for how 
  to handle the Secure Credential Transfer BoF request.
 
2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items
    
  o draft-ietf-netconf-sztp-csr-12  - IETF stream
    Conveying a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) in a Secure Zero
    Touch Provisioning (SZTP) Bootstrapping Request (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Robert Wilton

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Zahed Sarker.*

  o draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-bis-17  - IETF stream
    Stream Control Transmission Protocol (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Duke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

  o draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-yang-24  - IETF stream
    YANG Data Model for DHCPv6 Configuration (Proposed Standard)
    Token: √Čric Vyncke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk.*

  o draft-ietf-rum-rue-09  - IETF stream
    Interoperability Profile for Relay User Equipment (Proposed
    Standard)
    Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Benjamin Kaduk, Martin Duke, Robert Wilton, Roman 
Danyliw, and Zahed Sarker.*

  o draft-ietf-httpbis-priority-11  - IETF stream
    Extensible Prioritization Scheme for HTTP (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Francesca Palombini

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Francesca Palombini. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.

2.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
    
  o draft-ietf-tls-external-psk-guidance-04  - IETF stream
    Guidance for External PSK Usage in TLS (Informational)
    Token: Benjamin Kaduk

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Benjamin Kaduk. The Secretariat will send a working group 
submission Document Action Announcement.

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  NONE

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items
  NONE

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items

  o conflict-review-mymb-sfc-nsh-allocation-timestamp-00
    IETF conflict review for draft-mymb-sfc-nsh-allocation-timestamp
      draft-mymb-sfc-nsh-allocation-timestamp-11
      Network Service Header (NSH) Fixed-Length Context Header
    Allocation: Timestamp (ISE: Informational)
    Token: Martin Vigoureux

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.

The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response
prepared by Martin Vigoureux.

  o conflict-review-moura-dnsop-authoritative-recommendations-01
    IETF conflict review for
    draft-moura-dnsop-authoritative-recommendations
      draft-moura-dnsop-authoritative-recommendations-10
      Considerations for Large Authoritative DNS Servers Operators
    (ISE: Informational)
    Token: Warren Kumari

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this document.
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the RFC
Independent Submissions Editor that includes a conflict review response
prepared by Warren Kumari.

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  NONE

4.1.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review

  o Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (stir)
    Area: ART (Murray Kucherawy)

The IESG decided to proceed with IETF review of the revised charter. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, with a separate message 
to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will place the WG on the agenda 
for the next IESG Teleconference (January 06, 2022).

4.2.2 Proposed for approval

  o General Area Dispatch (gendispatch)
    Area: GEN (Lars Eggert)

The IESG approved the revised charter for the working group. The
Secretariat will send a WG Action: RECHARTER announcement. 

  o Software Updates for Internet of Things (suit)
    Area: SEC (Roman Danyliw)

The IESG approved the revised charter for the working group. The
Secretariat will send a WG Action: RECHARTER announcement.

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 [IANA #1216109] Management Item: Acceptance of media type 
    registration from standards organization Unidata (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG asks IANA to process this 
media-type request, and to add this organization to the 'Standards-
related organizations that have registered Media Types in the Standards 
Tree.' 

6.2 Virtual BoFs (Francesca Palombini)

The management issue was discussed.  

Action Items: 
o Francesca Palombini to draft text on a virtual BOF experiment.
o Francesca Palombini to come back to the IESG with a proposal for how 
  to handle the Secure Credential Transfer BoF request.

6.3 [IANA #1217617] Designated experts for RFC-ietf-quic-http (Hypertext 
    Transfer Protocol Version 3 (HTTP/3))(http3-parameters) (Zahed 
    Sarker)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Mike Bishop 
<mbishop@evequefou.be> and Alan Frindell <afrind@fb.com> as the 
designated experts for RFC-ietf-quic-http.

6.4 [IANA #1218411] Designated experts for RFC 6931, (Additional XML 
    Security Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs)) (IANA)

An action item to find designated experts for RFC 6931 was assigned to 
Roman Danyliw prior to the start of the teleconference.

6.5 An IESG statement on "Handling Ballot Positions" (Warren Kumari)

The management issue was discussed.  

6.6 IETF 113 Important Dates (Secretariat)

The management issue was discussed.  

6.7 [IANA #1218369] renewing early allocation for draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-
    evpn-aggregation-label (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved renewing the early 
allocations for draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-evpn-aggregation-label.

6.8 Executive Session (Lars Eggert)

The management issue was discussed in the Executive Session.

6.9 [IANA #1217716] Designated experts for RFC 9158 (SMI Security for 
    PKIX CRMF Registration Controls for Alternate Certificate Formats)
    (smi-numbers) (Roman Danyliw)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Russ Housley 
<housley@vigilsec.com> as the designated expert for RFC 9158.

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)
-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/)
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.