Minutes interim-2021-lpwan-03: Tue 16:00
minutes-interim-2021-lpwan-03-202102021600-00

Meeting Minutes IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area Networks (lpwan) WG
Title Minutes interim-2021-lpwan-03: Tue 16:00
State Active
Other versions markdown
Last updated 2021-02-02

Meeting Minutes
minutes-interim-2021-lpwan-03-202102021600

Connection details

Meeting Information

  • Date: Feb 2nd 2021; 7-8am US Pacific PST, 4pm CET: https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=100,12,5392171,1850147&h=100&date=2021-02-02&sln=15-16
  • Meeting Recording link: https://ietf.webex.com/ietf/ldr.php?RCID=ab720119aa864d61a0d536ab821c918d

Action items

Next

Last

  • change the NBIOT target date to early 2022
    • Find 3GPP assistance for Ana on NBIOT (Eric + Pascal) on hold
  • Laurent to refresh the model draft and the chairs to ask to an early review by YANG Doctors via datatracker

To do

Laurent to send a doodle on the ML to choose a time for a session on YANG

Bluesheets

  • Éric Vyncke, Cisco
  • Alexander Pelov, Acklio
  • Pascal Thubert, Cisco
  • Laurent Toutain, IMT Atlantique
  • Georgios Papadopoulos, IMT Atlantique
  • Dominique Barthel, Orange
  • Julien Catalano, Kerlink
  • Carles Gomez, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya
  • Carsten Bormann
  • Juan Carlos Zúñiga, Sigfox
  • Olivier Gimenez, Semtech
  • Sergio Aguilar
  • Ana Minaburo, Acklio
  • Sergio Aguilar
  • Edgar Ramos, Ericsson

(last interims for copy/paste)

  • Diego Dujovne, UDP
  • Edgar Ramos, Ericsson
  • Paul Duffy, Cisco
  • Vincent Audebert, EDF
  • Alexander Pelov, Acklio
  • Ivaylo Petrov, Acklio
  • Arunprabhu Kandasamy, Acklio
  • Sean Turner, sn3rd
  • J Lecoeuvre
  • David Millman
  • Ricardo Andreasen
  • Arthur Oval

Agenda

[16:05] Administrivia [10min]

Note-Well, Scribes, Agenda Bashing

WG Status

[16:10] SCHC over LoRaWAN [15min]

[16:25] CoAP over SCHC [20min]

[16:45] Field Length in SCHC [10min]

[16:55] AOB [ QS ]

Minutes

[16:05] Administrivia [10min]

Alexander gives the usuual intro script, this is an aofficial IETF meeting BCPs apply (inc. IPR). No recording. Meetings minutes captured here.

Note-Well, Scribes, Agenda Bashing

Laurent suggests to talk about the Yang document. Minutes of last meeting approved

WG Status

OAM draft not yet a WG document. Document to be reviewed and brought back to the WG's attention.

Yang draft, version 4 published. Need a work session with interested parties.

[16:10] SCHC over LoRaWAN [15min]

Olivier: Limited change; editorial clarification. Also an IID-related update. Support of the proposed IID derivation algo is a MUST, using it is a SHOULD. Fixing the hexa: the new value is confirmed; the current plan is to wait for AUTH 48 to inject the correction. Suggestion to send the fixed XML now to the RFC Editor before they start editing it.

[16:25] SCHC Header Compression in 6lo(WPAN) Environment [20min]

Carles: using SCHC HC in 6LoWPAN space. Carles presents history (see slides) Carles: Add SCHC compression in addition to 6Lo HC

Might consider a SCHC HC dispatch. Use the page selector, use a whole page?

Carles: can go from 7 to 2 bytes Pascal: SCHC can compress also other layers, so the gain can potentially be more imporant. Pascal: SCHC is stateful - you need preparation. 6LoWPAN is stateless - you don't need any previous setup (any-to-any). So it's really a different usage: RFC 6282 is minimum preparation minimum win. SCHC is max preparaion, node specific etc... but max win as well. Carles: in terms of context, even in 6LoWPAN if you have global addresses, you still need some kind of contexts, or infrasturcture with ND to discover this common context. Carles: effect of the compression on battery lifetime, from theoretical point of view. Carsten: what's the use of using 6LP then SCHC? Laurent: An example would be for mesh networks to use 6LP to route the packets on the IP layer, and use SCHC for the compression of the upper layers Pascal: RFC8138 is what you want to cross the mesh (on route-over) Carsten: That may need a lot of thinking to get right Pascal: need use-cases Alexander: The work seems a good thing to pursue, need to clear up the targeted use-cases Alexander: the home WG would be 6LO? Carles: yes, 6LO Alexander: advance the work in LPWAN, make sure we agree that it's good enough, then ask for adoption in 6LO, and ensure WGLC in 6LO and LPWAN Eric: yes, agreed. Need to double-check on the 6LO charter of course. Working Group Last Call should be done in 6LO and LPWAN.

[16:55] Field Length in SCHC [5min]

See slides; Laurent suggests to keep the existing IGNORE as is and create anew matching operator MATCH_LENGTH so that the rule indicates the length of teh variable length field.

[16:55] AOB [ QS ]