Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2022-iesg-16 2022-07-14 14:00
minutes-interim-2022-iesg-16-202207141400-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2022-07-14 14:00
Title Minutes interim-2022-iesg-16 2022-07-14 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2022-iesg-16-202207141400-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the July 14, 2022 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Jenny Bui, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES
---------------------------------
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Martin Duke (Google) / Transport Area 
Lars Eggert (NetApp) / IETF Chair, General Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison
Erik Kline (Aalyria Technologies) / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy (Facebook) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Francesca Palombini (Ericsson) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Alvaro Retana (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
Zaheduzzaman (Zahed) Sarker (Ericsson) / Transport Area
John Scudder (Juniper) / Routing Area
Sabrina Tanamal (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area
Robert Wilton (Cisco Systems) / Operations and Management Area
Paul Wouters (Aiven) /  Security Area
Qin Wu (Huawei) / IAB Liaison

REGRETS
---------------------------------
Andrew Alston (Liquid Intelligent Technologies) /  Routing Area
Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area

OBSERVERS
---------------------------------
Andrew Campling
Charles Eckel
David Lawrence 
Ben Schwartz
Lee-Berkeley Shaw
Greg Wood

MINUTES
---------------------------------
1. Administrivia
1.1 Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the June 30, 2022 Teleconference were 
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the June 30, 2022 Teleconference 
were approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public 
archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the June 30, 2022 IESG Teleconference

1.2.1 Protocol Actions
o draft-ietf-quic-bit-grease-04  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-app-specific-attr-16  (Proposed Standard)
o draft-ietf-core-problem-details-08  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions
 NONE

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:
o Murray Kucherawy to find designated experts for RFC 9248 
  (Interoperability Profile for Relay User Equipment) [IANA #1232225]. 
o Francesca Palombini to find designated experts for RFC 9246 (URI 
  Signing for Content Delivery Network Interconnection (CDNI))[IANA 
  #1232482].
o Lars Eggert to facilitate an update of the document shepherd writeup 
  form.
o Lars Eggert to ask the Tools Team to push the global whitelist out to 
  WG mailing lists again.
o Murray Kucherawy to draft text for an IESG statement providing 
  guidance about patch documents.
o Lars Eggert to draft email about RFC8989 Path 1 for NomCom 
  eligibility.   
o Warren Kumari to find designated experts for RFC-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https 
  (Service binding and parameter specification via the DNS)[IANA 
  #1232944].
    
IN PROGRESS:
o Lars Eggert to follow-up on the management of the IETF non-wg mailing 
  lists. 
o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for RFC 8809 (WebAuthn)[IANA 
  #1229681]. 
 
UPDATED AND ON HOLD:
o Robert Wilton, Alvaro Retana, and Warren Kumari to report back to the 
  IESG on the impact of COVID-19 to the IETF in October 2022. 
      
NEW: 
o The IESG to look into adding a question to the post-meeting survey 
  about extending the length of the meeting day during IETF meetings.
o Lars Eggert to send email to Roman Danyliw about drafting text to 
  working group chairs about side meetings.
   
2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items
    
  o draft-ietf-uta-rfc7525bis-09  - IETF stream
    Recommendations for Secure Use of Transport Layer Security (TLS)
    and Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) (Best Current Practice)
    Token: Francesca Palombini

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Robert Wilton.*

  o draft-ietf-ippm-rfc8889bis-02  - IETF stream
    Multipoint Alternate-Marking Clustered Method (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Duke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Roman Danyliw, Lars Eggert, Alvaro Retana, and John 
Scudder.*

  o draft-ietf-ippm-rfc8321bis-02  - IETF stream
    Alternate-Marking Method (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Martin Duke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Roman Danyliw, Lars Eggert, Warren Kumari, Alvaro 
Retana, Zaheduzzaaman Sarker, Éric Vyncke, and Robert Wilton.*

  o draft-ietf-add-ddr-08  - IETF stream
    Discovery of Designated Resolvers (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Éric Vyncke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Lars Eggert and Paul Wouters.*

  o draft-ietf-add-dnr-11  - IETF stream
    DHCP and Router Advertisement Options for the Discovery of
    Network-designated Resolvers (DNR) (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Éric Vyncke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Martin Duke, Erik Kline, Robert Wilton, and Paul 
Wouters.*

  o draft-ietf-add-svcb-dns-06  - IETF stream
    Service Binding Mapping for DNS Servers (Proposed Standard)
    Token: Éric Vyncke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve
points raised by Lars Eggert.*

2.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items
  NONE

2.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items
  NONE

2.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items
    
  o draft-ietf-shmoo-hackathon-07  - IETF stream
    Running an IETF Hackathon (Informational)
    Token: Lars Eggert

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The 
Secretariat will send a working group submission Document Action 
Announcement once Lars Eggert confirms that the announcement is
ready to be sent.

3.1.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items
  NONE

3.2.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items
  NONE

3.3.2 Returning items
  NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items
  NONE

3.4.2 Returning items
  NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review
  NONE

4.1.2 Proposed for approval

  o Transfer dIGital cREdentialS Securely (tigress)
    Area: ART (Roman Danyliw)

The IESG approved the charter for the new working group pending
edits to the text of the charter to be provided by Roman Danyliw. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action announcement.
    
4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review
  NONE

4.2.2 Proposed for approval
  NONE

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 [IANA #1232944] Designated experts for RFC-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https 
    (Service binding and parameter specification via the DNS) (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Ben Schwartz
<bemasc@google.com> and David Lawrence <tale@dd.org> as the designated 
experts for RFC-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https.

6.2 [IANA #1232482] Designated experts for RFC 9246 (URI Signing for 
    Content Delivery Network Interconnection (CDNI)) (Francesca 
    Palombini)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Phil
Sorber <sorber@apache.org> as the designated expert for RFC 9246.

6.3 Suggested IETF 114 Sessions for Getting Familiar with New Topics 
    (Greg Wood)

The management issue was discussed.

6.4 [IANA #1233341] renewing early allocations for draft-ietf-idr-
    segment-routing-te-policy (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved renewing the early 
allocations for draft-ietf-idr-segment-routing-te-policy.

6.5 Impact of COVID 19 on the IETF - IETF Monthly Activity Report 
    (Alvaro Retana, Warren Kumari, Rob Wilton)

The management issue was discussed.  

6.6 Working Group side meeting at IETF 114 (Lars Eggert)

The management issue was discussed.  

Action item: The IESG to look into adding a question to the post-meeting 
survey about extending the length of the meeting day during IETF 
meetings.

Action item: Lars Eggert to send email to Roman Danyliw about drafting 
text to working group chairs about side meetings.

6.7 Designated experts for RFC 9248 (Interoperability Profile for Relay 
    User Equipment) [IANA #1232225] (Murray Kucherawy)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Brian Rosen
<br@brianrosen.net> as the designated expert for RFC 9248.

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/)
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.