Skip to main content

Minutes IETF 115 BOF coordination interim-2022-iesg-20 2022-09-13 16:00
minutes-interim-2022-iesg-20-202209131600-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2022-09-13 16:00
Title Minutes IETF 115 BOF coordination interim-2022-iesg-20 2022-09-13 16:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2022-iesg-20-202209131600-00
IETF 115 BOF Coordination Call
2022-09-13, updated 2022-09-29

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

Additional reference materials available at the datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/bof-requests)

Present:

- Alvaro Retana	
- Amy Vezza  (2022-09-29 only)	
- Andrew Alston
- Cindy Morgan
- David Schinazi (2022-09-13 only)
- Éric Vyncke (2022-09-13 only)
- Erik Kline
- Karen O'Donoghue (2022-09-13 only)
- Jari Arkko (2022-09-13 only)
- Jiankang Yao (2022-09-13 only)
- John Scudder
- Lars Eggert 
- Liz Flynn  (2022-09-13 only)
- Mallory Knodel (2022-09-13 only)
- Martin Duke  
- Mirja Kühlewind  (2022-09-13 only)
- Murray Kucherawy (2022-09-29 only)
- Paul Wouters
- Qin Wu  (2022-09-13 only)
- Robert Wilton
- Roman Danyliw
- Warren Kumari
- Wes Hardaker (2022-09-29 only)
- Zahed Sarker
- Zhenbin Li  (2022-09-13 only)

Regrets:
 
- Colin Perkins
- Cullen Jennings
- Deborah Brungard
- Francesca Palombini
- Russ White
- Tommy Pauly 


1. JSON Web Proofs (JWP) - Security Area

  Roman Danyliw noted that JSON Web Proofs (JWP) held a BOF at IETF 114 
  and have made progress since then. They are looking to do an interim 
  BOF between now and IETF 115, and this BOF request was made as a 
  placeholder.

  On 2022-09-29, the JSON Web Proofs (JWP) BOF proposal was approved for 
  IETF 115.


2. Computing-Aware Networking (CAN) - Routing Area

  John Scudder reported that the proponents of the Computing-Aware 
  Networking (CAN) BOF claim that they have made a lot of progress since 
  their meeting at IETF 113 and think they are ready for a WG-forming 
  BOF.

  Warren Kumari asked if this work is related to network slicing or New 
  IP. John Scudder replied that the current proposal is more modest than 
  that.

  Andrew Alston said that he was skeptical that enough progress had been 
  made to narrow the scope. Several people agreed.

  Lars Eggert said that after looking at the charter, he still was not 
  clear what they were trying to accomplish.

  Éric Vyncke noted that the 5G aspects of this proposal will require 
  liaising with 3GPP.

  Lars Eggert suggested asking the proponents to summarize the top two 
  or three things that they think a WG would do in this space, as a way 
  to try and refocus the proposal.

  John Scudder asked the IAB and IESG to summarize their concerns and 
  send them to him by email so that he can follow up with the 
  proponents. The BOF should focus on the architecture and use cases, 
  rather than a proposed solution.

  On 2022-09-29, the Computing-Aware Networking (CAN) BOF proposal was 
  approved for IETF 115.


3. More Instant Messaging Interoperability (MIMI) - Applications and 
   Real-Time Area

  On 2022-09-29, the More Instant Messaging Interoperability (MIMI) BOF 
  proposal was approved for IETF 115.


4. Application-Aware Networking (APN) - Routing Area

  Andrew Alston said that the Application-Aware Networking (APN) BOF 
  proposal is a placeholder for a WG he is planning to start chartering 
  Before IETF 115.

  On 2022-09-29, the Application-Aware Networking (APN) BOF proposal was 
  approved for IETF 115.


5. IPv6 Moving Object Networking (IPMON) - Internet Area

  Erik Kline reported that the IPv6 Moving Object Networking (IPMON) BOF 
  proposal is for work that the proponents had wanted to be included in 
  a new charter for the IPWAVE WG, but the WG is planning to shut down 
  instead. Erik added that he is not sure whether there is any community 
  participation around this work.

  Lars Eggert noted that a lot of liaising will be required for this 
  work, since the encapsulations are being done in 3GPP. He asked 
  whether 3GPP wants IETF to do this work.

  Erik Kline will follow up with the proponents and ask the 3GPP liaison 
  if they want this work to happen in the IETF. In the meantime, the 
  proponents can use the IPWAVE mailing list to try and get community
  support. Based on the outcome of those discussions, the IESG will 
  decide whether to approve this BOF proposal for IETF 115.

  On 2022-09-29, the IPv6 Moving Object Networking (IPMON) BOF proposal 
  was declined for IETF 115. Erik Kline will suggest that they hold a 
  side meeting.


6. Time Variant Routing (TVR) - Routing Area

  Alvaro Retana reported that the Time Variant Routing (TVR) BOF 
  proposal came from the current chairs of the DTN Working Group. The 
  proposed BOF would work on a charter for a working group to develop a 
  common set of definitions, attributes, behaviors, and algorithms 
  necessary to evaluate routing and forwarding decisions in the presence 
  of planned loss and resumption of network connectivity.

  Warren Kumari asked whether this work would get into how to make 
  networks more green.

  Alvaro Retana said that the plan was to constrain the work to non-
  traditional networks, with energy efficiency being a secondary 
  concern.

  Several people agreed that the BOF proposal was worth exploring 
  further, but thought it might be better as a non-WG forming BOF at 
  this stage.

  Alvaro Retana will work with the proponents to clarify the scope of 
  the proposed BOF before deciding whether to approve it for IETF 115.

  On 2022-09-29, the Time Variant Routing (TVR) BOF proposal was 
  approved for IETF 115.


7. RADIUS Extensions (RADEXT) - Security Area

  Paul Wouters reported that there was a request to reopen the RADIUS 
  Extensions (RADEXT) Working Group to work on defining a new SRADIUS 
  which drops all use of MD4 / MD5, and asked whether they needed to 
  hold a BOF first, or could just reopen the working group.

  Lars Eggert said that it looks like a fair amount of work, and holding 
  a BOF first would give the rest of the community a chance to weigh in.

  Jari Arkko said most of the work is to clean up what is inside the 
  application layer.

  Roman Danyliw suggested that it might be useful to hold a virtual BOF 
  before IETF 115 to gauge interest in the work.

  Paul Wouters and Roman Danyliw will follow up with the proponents and 
  decide whether they need to hold a BOF before reopening the working 
  group.  

  On 2022-09-29, the RADIUS Extensions (RADEXT) BOF proposal was 
  approved for IETF 115 using a different acronym TBD.


8. Secure Asset Transfer Protocol (SATP) - Security Area

  Paul Wouters said that he did not think that much progress has been 
  made since the Secure Asset Transfer Protocol (SATP) BOF at IETF 114.

  Roman Danyliw agreed, saying that the scope is still unclear.

  Paul Wouters will follow up with the proponents to clarify the scope 
  of the proposed BOF before deciding whether to approve it for IETF 
  115.

  On 2022-09-29, Wes Hardaker reported that the proponents have 
  incorporated a lot of feedback into the current charter proposal to 
  narrow the scope of the work and clarify some of the terminology.

  Warren Kumari said that the most important question is whether the 
  work is in scope for the IETF. Wes Hardaker said that the proponents 
  believe it is.

  On 2022-09-29, the Secure Asset Transfer Protocol (SATP) BOF proposal 
  was approved for IETF 115.