Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2023-iesg-22 2023-10-05 14:00
minutes-interim-2023-iesg-22-202310051400-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2023-10-05 14:00
Title Minutes interim-2023-iesg-22 2023-10-05 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2023-iesg-22-202310051400-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the October 5, 2023 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Liz Flynn, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES
---------------------------------
Andrew Alston (Liquid Intelligent Technologies) /  Routing Area
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area
Dhruv Dhody (Huawei) / IAB Liaison
Lars Eggert (NetApp) / IETF Chair, General Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison 
Jim Guichard (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
Erik Kline (Aalyria Technologies) / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy (Meta) / Applications and Real-Time Area 
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Francesca Palombini (Ericsson) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Zaheduzzaman (Zahed) Sarker (Nokia) / Transport Area
John Scudder (Juniper) / Routing Area
Sabrina Tanamal (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Robert Wilton (Cisco Systems) / Operations and Management Area
Paul Wouters (Aiven) /  Security Area
√Čric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area

REGRETS
---------------------------------
Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director 
Martin Duke (Google) / Transport Area
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area


OBSERVERS
---------------------------------
Brendan McMillion
Greg Wood
Jeffrey Zhang

MINUTES
---------------------------------

1. Administrivia
1.1 Approval of the minutes of past telechats

The minutes of the September 21, 2023 Teleconference were 
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public 
archives.

The narrative minutes of the September 21, 2023 Teleconference 
were approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the 
public archives.

The minutes of the BOF Coordination Call for IETF 118 were 
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public 
archives.

1.2 Documents Approved since the September 7, 2023 IESG Teleconference

1.2.1 Protocol Actions

 o draft-ietf-jsonpath-base-21  (Proposed Standard)
 o draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-25  (Proposed Standard)
 o draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc8499bis-10  (Best Current Practice)
 o draft-ietf-nvo3-bfd-geneve-13  (Proposed Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions

 NONE

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE:

 o John Scudder to update the NomCom instructions from the IESG 
   with information about the ART/TSV merger.

 o John Scudder to follow up on the RSWG Chair appointment.

 o Martin Duke to draft an email to the community about the ART/
   TSV Area merger.


IN PROGRESS: 

o Rob Wilton to find designated experts for RFC 9445 (RADIUS 
   Extensions for DHCP-Configured Services) [IANA #1279159]

 o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for draft-yee-ssh-
   iana-requirements-03 (Key Exchange Method Names) [IANA #1281831].

 o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for RFC 9447, ACME 
   Authority Token Challenge Types" [IANA #1281679].

 o Warren Kumari to follow up on a bis document for RFC 8126 
   regarding designated experts.

 o Roman Danyliw to open a Datatracker issue suggesting a feature 
   to better signal individual contributions

 o Andrew Alston, Murray Kucherawy, Zahed Sarker, Martin Duke, 
   John Scudder, and Jim Guichard to draft text regarding 
   document authorship/editorship with regards to the number of 
   authors listed.

 o Lars Eggert to facilitate a community discussion on priorities 
   for IESG processes.

 o Lars Eggert and Warren Kumari to 1) draft a revision of RFC 
   4858, 2) draft a revised IESG Statement on Document Shepherds 
   (original statement October 2010), and 3) update the WG Chairs 
   wiki to point to the new IESG Statement.

 o Warren Kumari to follow up with the tools team regarding 
   removing the requirement of needing an author email for 
   deceased authors.

NEW:

 o Erik Kline to follow up with authors of draft-ietf-6man-
   rfc6874bis to schedule a conversation about the document.


2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items

o draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-evpn-aggregation-label-14  - IETF stream
  (MVPN/EVPN Tunnel Aggregation with Common Labels) (Proposed Standard)
  Token: Andrew Alston

The document was approved by the IESG. The Secretariat will send a 
working group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


o draft-ietf-ohai-svcb-config-06  - IETF stream
  (Discovery of Oblivious Services via Service Binding Records) (Proposed 
  Standard)
  Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Murray Kucherawy. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


o draft-ietf-regext-rdap-openid-25  - IETF stream
  Federated Authentication for the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) 
  using OpenID Connect (Proposed Standard)

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to resolve 
points raised by Paul Wouters and Roman Danyliw.*


2.1.2 Returning items

NONE

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items

NONE

2.2.2 Returning items

NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items

NONE

2.3.2 Returning items

NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items

NONE

3.1.2 Returning items

NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items

NONE

3.2.2 Returning items

NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items 

o status-change-lisp-eid-block-to-historic-00
  (Move RFC7954 and RFC7955 to Historic)

The IESG agreed to change the status of RFC7954 from Experimental 
to Historic and RFC7955 from Informational to Historic pending a 
final check to be completed by Jim Guichard. The Secretariat will 
send a Document Action Announcement. 


3.3.2 Returning items

NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items

o conflict-review-irtf-icnrg-pathsteering-00
  IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-icnrg-pathsteering
  draft-irtf-icnrg-pathsteering-07 
  Path Steering in CCNx and NDN (IRTF: Experimental)
  Token: Erik Kline

The IESG has no problem with the IRTF publishing this document. 
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the 
IRSG that includes a conflict review response prepared by Erik Kline.


o conflict-review-irtf-t2trg-iot-edge-02
  IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-t2trg-iot-edge
  draft-irtf-t2trg-iot-edge-10
  IoT Edge Challenges and Functions (IRTF: Informational)
  Token: Roman Danyliw

The IESG has no problem with the IRTF publishing this document. 
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the 
IRSG that includes a conflict review response prepared by Roman Danyliw.


3.4.2 Returning items

NONE

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review 

o vCon (vcon)

The charter remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Lars Eggert.*


4.1.2 Proposed for approval

o Key Transparency (keytrans)

The IESG approved the charter for the new working group pending
the addition of chairs to be provided by Roman Danyliw. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action announcement.


o Structured Email (sml)

The charter remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Eric Vyncke.*

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues
6.1 Designated Experts for the "Privacy Pass Parameters" registry (Paul Wouters)

The management issue was discussed. This management item will be 
brought back when draft-ietf-privacypass-auth-scheme is approved.

6.2 IETF 118 Agenda Conflict Resolution (Secretariat)

The management issue was discussed.


6.3 Subdomain for IETF Store (Greg Wood)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved the 
subdomain store.ietf.org. 

The IESG also approved using forwardingalgorithm@ietf.org for tools 
team use.


6.4 [IANA #1281697] renewing early allocations for draft-ietf-sidrops-aspa-profile (IANA)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved renewing the 
early allocations for draft-ietf-sidrops-aspa-profile. 


6.5 IETF GitHub organizations for non-WGs (Secretariat)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG agreed that it would 
not create IETF Github organizations for non-WGs. 

6.6 IAB Statement on Encryption and Client-Side Scanning (Lars Eggert)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG will not co-sign this 
IAB Statement.


7 . Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

The IESG discussed draft-ietf-6man-rfc6874bis. Erik Kline took an 
action item to follow up with the authors for a discussion at a 
future meeting.

-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/)
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.