Skip to main content

Minutes interim-2023-iesg-25 2023-11-30 15:00
minutes-interim-2023-iesg-25-202311301500-00

Meeting Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2023-11-30 15:00
Title Minutes interim-2023-iesg-25 2023-11-30 15:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

minutes-interim-2023-iesg-25-202311301500-00
INTERNET ENGINEERING STEERING GROUP (IESG)
Minutes of the November 30, 2023 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Liz Flynn, IETF Secretariat


ATTENDEES
---------------------------------

Andrew Alston (Liquid Intelligent Technologies) /  Routing Area
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director 
Dhruv Dhody (Huawei) / IAB Liaison
Martin Duke (Google) / Transport Area
Lars Eggert (Mozilla) / IETF Chair, General Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison 
Jim Guichard (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
Erik Kline (Aalyria Technologies) / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy (Meta) / Applications and Real-Time Area 
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Francesca Palombini (Ericsson) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Zaheduzzaman (Zahed) Sarker (Nokia) / Transport Area
John Scudder (Juniper) / Routing Area
Sabrina Tanamal (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Éric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area
Robert Wilton (Cisco Systems) / Operations and Management Area
Paul Wouters (Aiven) /  Security Area


REGRETS
---------------------------------
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area



OBSERVERS
---------------------------------

Mike Jones
Frederik Reiter
Greg Wood
Jeffrey Zhang


MINUTES
---------------------------------


1. Administrivia
1.1 Approval of the minutes of past telechats


The minutes of the October 19, 2023 Teleconference were approved. 
The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The minutes of the October 26, 2023 Teleconference were approved. 
The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public archives.

The narrative minutes of the October 19, 2023 Teleconference need 
more time for review. The narrative minutes will come back to the 
next telechat (December 14, 2023) for approval.

The narrative minutes of the October 26, 2023 Teleconference were 
approved. The Secretariat will place the minutes in the public 
archives.


1.2 Documents Approved since the October 19, 2023 IESG Teleconference
1.2.1 Protocol Actions

  o draft-ietf-regext-rdap-redacted-16  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-privacypass-auth-scheme-15  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis-14  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-cbor-time-tag-12  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-freed-smtp-limits-07  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-regext-rdap-openid-27  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-intarea-rfc7042bis-11  (Best Current Practice)
  o draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-13  (Proposed Standard)
  o draft-ietf-bess-pbb-evpn-isid-cmacflush-09  (Proposed 
    Standard)

1.2.2 Document Actions

  o draft-ietf-dprive-unilateral-probing-13  (Experimental)

1.3 Review of Action Items

DONE: 

  o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for draft-yee-ssh-
    iana-requirements-03 (Key Exchange Method Names) [IANA 
    #1281831].

 o  Erik Kline to follow up with authors of draft-ietf-6man-
    rfc6874bis to schedule a conversation about the document.

  o Lars Eggert to send email to Dan Harkins regarding the PR 
    action.

  o Martin Duke to send email to Secretariat to create WIT area   
    Mailing list and to move subscribers from tsv-area over. 


IN PROGRESS: 

  o Roman Danyliw to find designated experts for RFC 9447, ACME 
    Authority Token Challenge Types" [IANA #1281679].

  o Robert Wilton to find designated experts for RFC 9487 (Export 
    of Segment Routing over IPv6 Information in IP Flow 
    Information Export (IPFIX))[IANA #1287238].

  o Robert Wilton to find designated experts for RFC 9456 (Updates 
    to the TLS Transport Model for SNMP)[IANA #1287239].

  o Francesca Palombini to find designated experts for CoRE Target 
    Attributes Registry (draft-ietf-core-target-attr)[IANA 
    #1287397].

  o Warren Kumari to follow up on a bis document for RFC 8126 
    regarding designated experts.

  o Andrew Alston to email the RSWG regarding document authorship/
    editorship with regards to the number of authors listed.

  o Lars Eggert and Warren Kumari to 1) draft a revision of RFC 
    4858, 2) draft a revised IESG Statement on Document Shepherds 
    (original statement October 2010), and 3) update the WG Chairs 
    wiki to point to the new IESG Statement.

  o Francesca Palombini to draft an update to the wiki page 
    "Getting a Document on the Agenda."


2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items

 o draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment-20  - IETF stream
   Path Segment Identifier in MPLS Based Segment Routing Network
   (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Jim Guichard
  
The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Jim Guichard. The Secretariat will send a working
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


 o draft-ietf-ace-key-groupcomm-17  - IETF stream
   Key Provisioning for Group Communication using ACE (Proposed
   Standard)
   Token: Paul Wouters
  
Francesca Palombini formally recused herself from the discussion of the 
document. The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check 
to be completed by Paul Wouters. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


 o draft-ietf-bier-evpn-11  - IETF stream
   EVPN BUM Using BIER (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Andrew Alston
  
The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Andrew Alston.*


 o draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc7125-update-07  - IETF stream
   An Update to the tcpControlBits IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)
   Information Element (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Robert Wilton

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Robert Wilton. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


 o draft-ietf-netconf-over-tls13-03  - IETF stream
   Updates to Using the NETCONF Protocol over Transport Layer 
   Security (TLS) with Mutual X.509 Authentication (Proposed 
   Standard)
   Token: Robert Wilton

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Paul Wouters.*


 o draft-ietf-extra-jmapaccess-06  - IETF stream
   The JMAPACCESS Extension for IMAP (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Murray Kucherawy

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Murray Kucherawy. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


 o draft-ietf-nfsv4-scsi-layout-nvme-05  - IETF stream
   Using the Parallel NFS (pNFS) SCSI Layout to access NVMe 
   storage devices (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Zaheduzzaman Sarker

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Roman Danyliw.*


 o draft-ietf-sidrops-rfc6482bis-08  - IETF stream
   A Profile for Route Origin Authorizations (ROAs) (Proposed 
   Standard)
   Token: Warren Kumari

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Warren Kumari. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


 o draft-ietf-cose-cwt-claims-in-headers-10  - IETF stream
   CBOR Web Token (CWT) Claims in COSE Headers (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Paul Wouters

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Paul Wouters. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Protocol Action Announcement.


 o draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-on-lag-05  - IETF stream
   Simple Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol Extensions for
   Performance Measurement on LAG (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Martin Duke


The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Zaheduzzaman Sarker.*


 o draft-ietf-ippm-otwamp-on-lag-07  - IETF stream
   One-way/Two-way Active Measurement Protocol Extensions for
   Performance Measurement on LAG (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Martin Duke

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The
Secretariat will send an individual submission Protocol Action
Announcement once Martin Duke confirms that the announcement is ready to be
sent.


 o draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-22  - IETF stream
   Propagating Explicit Congestion Notification Across IP Tunnel
   Headers Separated by a Shim (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Martin Duke

The document remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Éric Vyncke.*


 o draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-21  - IETF stream
   Guidelines for Adding Congestion Notification to Protocols that
   Encapsulate IP (Best Current Practice)
   Token: Martin Duke

The document was approved by the IESG pending a new revision. The
Secretariat will send an individual submission Protocol Action
Announcement once Martin Duke confirms that the announcement is ready
to be sent.



2.1.2 Returning items

 NONE

2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items

 NONE

2.2.2 Returning items

 NONE

2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items

 NONE

2.3.2 Returning items

 NONE

3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items

 o draft-ietf-ippm-pam-08  - IETF stream
   Precision Availability Metrics for Services Governed by Service
   Level Objectives (SLOs) (Informational)
   Token: Martin Duke

The document was approved by the IESG pending a final check to be 
completed by Martin Duke. The Secretariat will send a working 
group submission Document Action Announcement.



3.1.2 Returning items

 NONE

3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items

 NONE

3.2.2 Returning items

 NONE

3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items

 NONE

3.3.2 Returning items

 NONE

3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items

 o conflict-review-pkcs12-gost-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-pkcs12-gost
     draft-pkcs12-gost-06
     Generating the Transport Key Containers Using the GOST Algorithms
   (ISE: Informational)
   Token: Roman Danyliw

The IESG has no problem with the RFC Editor publishing this 
document. The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem"
message to the RFC Independent Submissions Editor once Roman 
Danyliw confirms that the conflict review response is ready to be sent.



 o conflict-review-irtf-cfrg-frost-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-cfrg-frost
     draft-irtf-cfrg-frost-15
     Two-Round Threshold Schnorr Signatures with FROST (IRTF:
   Informational)
   Token: Roman Danyliw

The IESG has no problem with the IRTF publishing this document. 
The Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to 
the IRSG once Roman Danyliw confirms that the conflict review 
response is ready to be sent.



 o conflict-review-irtf-qirg-quantum-internet-use-cases-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-qirg-quantum-internet-use-cases
     draft-irtf-qirg-quantum-internet-use-cases-19
     Application Scenarios for the Quantum Internet (IRTF:
   Informational)
   Token: Roman Danyliw

The IESG has no problem with the IRTF publishing this document. The 
Secretariat will send a standard "no problem" message to the IRSG once 
Roman Danyliw confirms that the conflict review response is ready to be 
sent.


3.4.2 Returning items

 NONE

3.4.3 For action

 o conflict-review-irtf-hrpc-guidelines-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-hrpc-guidelines
     draft-irtf-hrpc-guidelines-20
     Guidelines for Human Rights Protocol and Architecture
   Considerations (IRTF: Informational)
   Token: Lars Eggert

The document was assigned to Paul Wouters for RFC 5742 review.

4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review

 o Network Management Operations (nmop)

The charter remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Lars Eggert and Paul Wouters.*  


4.1.2 Proposed for approval

 o vCon (vcon)

The charter remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Martin Duke.*  


4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review

 o Open Specification for Pretty Good Privacy (openpgp)

The IESG decided to proceed with IETF review of the revised 
charter pending a final check of the text of the charter to be provided by 
Roman Danyliw. The Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, 
with a separate message to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will 
place the WG on the agenda for the next IESG Teleconference after 
the conclusion of external review.



 o Transport and Services Working Group (tsvwg)

The IESG decided to proceed with IETF review of the revised 
charter. The  Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, with 
a separate message to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will 
place the WG on the agenda for the next IESG Teleconference 
(2023-12-14).


 o TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (tcpm)

The IESG decided to proceed with IETF review of the revised 
charter. The  Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, with 
a separate message to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will 
place the WG on the agenda for the next IESG Teleconference 
(2023-12-14).

 o Path Computation Element (pce)

The IESG decided to proceed with IETF review of the revised 
charter pending edits to the text of the charter to be provided by 
John Scudder. The Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, 
with a separate message to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will 
place the WG on the agenda for the next IESG Teleconference after 
the conclusion of external review.


 o Locator/ID Separation Protocol (lisp)

The IESG decided to proceed with IETF review of the revised 
charter pending edits to the text of the charter to be provided by 
Jim Guichard. The Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, 
with a separate message to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will 
place the WG on the agenda for the next IESG Teleconference after 
the conclusion of external review.

 o Javascript Object Signing and Encryption (jose)

The charter remains under discussion by the IESG in order to 
resolve points raised by Paul Wouters.*  

 o Deterministic Networking (detnet)

The IESG approved the updated charter for the working group. The 
Secretariat will send a WG Action: RECHARTER announcement.


 o WebRTC Ingest Signaling over HTTPS (wish)

The IESG decided to proceed with IETF review of the revised 
charter. The  Secretariat will send a WG Review announcement, with 
a separate message to new-work@ietf.org. The Secretariat will 
place the WG on the agenda for the next IESG Teleconference 
(2023-12-14).

4.2.2 Proposed for approval

 NONE

5. IAB news we can use

6. Management issues

6.1 SSH Registries Designated Experts (Paul Wouters)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved Peter Yee 
(peter@akayla.com) and Markus Stenberg (mstenber@aiven.io) as the 
designated experts for the SSH registries.


6.2 [IANA #1287238] Designated experts for RFC 9487 (Export of 
Segment Routing over IPv6 Information in IP Flow Information 
Export (IPFIX))

The management issue was discussed. An action item to find 
designated experts for RFC 9487, "Export of Segment Routing over 
IPv6 Information in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)" was 
assigned to Robert Wilton prior to the start of the 
teleconference.


6.3 [IANA #1287239] Designated experts for RFC 9456 (Updates to the TLS 
Transport Model for SNMP)

The management issue was discussed. An action item to find 
designated experts for RFC 9456, "Updates to the TLS Transport 
Model for SNMP)" was assigned to Robert Wilton prior to the start 
of the teleconference.


6.4 [IANA #1287397] Designated experts for CoRE Target Attributes 
Registry (draft-ietf-core-target-attr)

The management issue was discussed. An action item to find 
designated experts for the CoRE Target Attributes Registry was 
assigned to Francesca Palombini prior to the start of the 
teleconference.


6.5 [IANA #1289479] Designated expert for URN Namespaces (RFC 8141)

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved adding Jyrki 
Ilva <jyrki.ilva@helsinki.fi> as a designated expert for URN 
Namespaces.


6.6 [IANA #1283541] renewing early allocation for draft-ietf-bess-
mvpn-evpn-sr-p2mp

The management issue was discussed. The IESG approved renewing the 
early allocation for draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-evpn-sr-p2mp.

6.7 ALLDISPATCH feedback review (Martin Duke)

The management issue was discussed.

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------
* Please see the Datatracker (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/)
for details on documents that are under discussion by the IESG.