Skip to main content

Narrative Minutes interim-2023-iesg-13 2023-06-08 14:00

Meeting Narrative Minutes Internet Engineering Steering Group (iesg) IETF
Date and time 2023-06-08 14:00
Title Narrative Minutes interim-2023-iesg-13 2023-06-08 14:00
State (None)
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2024-02-23

Narrative minutes for the 2023-06-08 IESG Teleconference

These are not an official record of the meeting.
Narrative Scribe: Liz Flynn, Secretariat

1. Administrivia
1.1 Roll call

Andrew Alston (Liquid Intelligent Technologies) /  Routing Area
Amanda Baber (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Jenny Bui (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Dhruv Dhody (Huawei) / IAB Liaison
Martin Duke (Google) / Transport Area
Liz Flynn (AMS) / IETF Secretariat, Narrative Scribe
Sandy Ginoza (AMS) / RFC Editor Liaison
Jim Guichard (Futurewei Technologies) / Routing Area
Erik Kline (Aalyria Technologies) / Internet Area
Murray Kucherawy (Meta) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Cindy Morgan (AMS) / IETF Secretariat
Zaheduzzaman (Zahed) Sarker (Nokia) / Transport Area
John Scudder (Juniper) / Routing Area
Eric Vyncke (Cisco) / Internet Area
Robert Wilton (Cisco Systems) / Operations and Management Area
Paul Wouters (Aiven) /  Security Area

Jay Daley / IETF Executive Director
Roman Danyliw (CERT/SEI) / Security Area
Lars Eggert (NetApp) / IETF Chair, General Area
Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson) / IAB Chair
Warren Kumari (Google) / Operations and Management Area
Francesca Palombini (Ericsson) / Applications and Real-Time Area
Sabrina Tanamal (ICANN) / IANA Liaison
Amy Vezza (AMS) / IETF Secretariat

Justin Richer
Ketan Talaulikar
Greg Wood

1.2 Bash the agenda

Cindy: Any changes to the agenda? If not, we'll move on.

1.3 Approval of the minutes of past telechats

Cindy: Does anyone have an objection to the minutes from the May 25
teleconference being approved? I'm hearing no objection. We also have narrative
minutes from May 25; any objection to approving those? Hearing no objection.

1.4 List of remaining action items from last telechat




     o Robert Wilton and Warren Kumari to report back to the IESG on the
       impact of COVID-19 to the IETF in July 2023.

 On hold.

     o Warren Kumari to follow up on a bis document for RFC 8126 regarding
       designated experts.

In progress.

     o Rob Wilton to draft a proposal to the tools team for what the
       requested information regarding mail statistics should look like.

Rob: In progress.

     o Lars Eggert to send email to the LLC about Letters of Invitation
       for Interim Meetings and Retreats

In progress.

     o Lars Eggert and Martin Duke to rewrite IESG statement to give more
       about issuing LOIs for interim meetings.

Martin: In progress.

     o Éric Vyncke to follow up on updating the title from "IESG Note" to
       "Public IESG Note".

Eric V: There is progress in the sense that Robert advised us to completely
remove this IESG note. I'll send email for this purpose.

     o Roman Danyliw to draft email to Jay Daley on the experiment for
       overflow meeting slots at IETF 117.

Cindy: I know this was done and conversation is still ongoing, so I think we
can mark this item done.

     o One AD from each area to diagram their area topology

Martin: I've received nothing, so I think that's in progress for everyone
except Transport.

Cindy: Were you the one that everyone was supposed to send this to?

Martin: They can send to the group, but I think I was supposed to collate them.

Cindy: Okay, then I think I want to add your name to this action item just so
it's attached to somebody.

     o Mirja Kuhlewind to write a summary blog post from IETF 116

Cindy: This is done and was posted yesterday.

     o Roman Danyliw to open a Datatracker issue suggesting a feature to better
       signal individual contributions

In progress.

     o Martin Duke, Zahed Sarker, and John Scudder to work with Jay Daley and
       Brad Biddle to come up with canned IPR Disclosure text and possible
       proposals for other updates.

John: In progress.

     o Lars Eggert to ask the LLC to come up with a proposal on how we can
       a pre-configured remote participation option in side meeting rooms.

In progress.

     o Lars Eggert to write an update to the Support Documents in IETF Working
       Groups statement.

In progress.

2. Protocol actions
2.1 WG submissions
2.1.1 New items

 o draft-ietf-lsr-ip-flexalgo-13  - IETF stream
   IGP Flexible Algorithms (Flex-Algorithm) In IP Networks (Proposed
   Token: John Scudder

Cindy: There are no Discusses for this document, so unless there's an objection
now, it looks like this is approved.

John: AD Followup, please. Thanks everybody.

 o draft-ietf-pce-pcep-stateful-pce-gmpls-22  - IETF stream
   Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) Extensions
   for Stateful PCE Usage in GMPLS-controlled Networks (Proposed
   Token: John Scudder

Cindy: There was a Discuss earlier this morning, but it's been resolved, so
unless there's an objection now, it looks like this is approved.

John: Also AD Followup, please.

 o draft-ietf-lsr-ospfv3-srv6-extensions-14  - IETF stream
   OSPFv3 Extensions for SRv6 (Proposed Standard)
   Token: John Scudder

Cindy: There are a couple of Discusses on this document; John, do you want to
discuss these today?

John: Briefly, yes please. Paul, Roman, it seems you've been getting productive
feedback from Ketan and I'd like to focus on that and ask if you think things
are moving in a direction where they can be resolved.

Paul: My feedback has been resolved. I'll clear my Discuss after the meeting
and just ping them to say IPsec has a lowercase S. Other than that, it's fine.

John: Okay, and Roman's not on.

Andrew: You can convey my thanks as well to Ketan because he was extremely
responsive to my Discuss as well.

John: Okay, I'll pass that on. I think we're set, thank you.

Cindy: This will stay in IESG Evaluation; is it going to require a revision?

John: New revision, I believe.

 o draft-ietf-httpbis-message-signatures-17  - IETF stream
   HTTP Message Signatures (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Paul Wouters

Cindy: There is a Discuss here; do we need to discuss this today, although
Roman isn't here to discuss it with you?

Paul: No, I'll catch up with him.

Cindy: Do you think this is going to require a Revised I-D?

Paul: I think so. There were also some other comments that justify some minor

Cindy: Okay, this will stay in IESG Evaluation, Revised I-D Needed.

 o draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional-08  - IETF stream
   DNS Glue Requirements in Referral Responses (Proposed Standard)
   Token: Warren Kumari

Cindy: This doesn't have any Discusses, so unless there's an objection this one
is approved.

Paul: I'm an author and I know there are going to be some minor changes based
on the comments, so this will be Revised I-D Needed.

Cindy: Okay thanks, that was going to be my next question. This is Approved,
Revised I-D Needed, and we'll get that sent once Warren lets us know it's ready
to go.

2.1.2 Returning items


2.2 Individual submissions
2.2.1 New items


2.2.2 Returning items


2.3 Status changes
2.3.1 New items


2.3.2 Returning items


3. Document actions
3.1 WG submissions
3.1.1 New items


3.1.2 Returning items


3.2 Individual submissions via AD
3.2.1 New items


3.2.2 Returning items


3.3 Status changes
3.3.1 New items


3.3.2 Returning items


3.4 IRTF and Independent Submission stream documents
3.4.1 New items

 o conflict-review-farrell-tenyearsafter-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-farrell-tenyearsafter
     Reflections on Ten Years Past The Snowden Revelations (ISE:
   Token: Paul Wouters

Cindy: There are no Discusses, so unless there's an objection it looks like
this is ready to go back to the ISE. I'm hearing no objections, so we'll get
this conflict review message sent back to the ISE.

 o conflict-review-irtf-cfrg-rsa-blind-signatures-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-cfrg-rsa-blind-signatures
     RSA Blind Signatures (IRTF: Informational)
   Token: Roman Danyliw

Cindy: This also does not have any Discusses, so unless there's an objection it
looks like this is ready to go back to the IRSG. I'm hearing no objections here
either, so we'll get this conflict review message sent back to the IRSG.

 o conflict-review-irtf-pearg-censorship-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-pearg-censorship
     A Survey of Worldwide Censorship Techniques (IRTF: Informational)
   Token: Paul Wouters

Cindy: This doesn't have any Discusses, so unless there's an objection, it
looks like this is approved.

Eric V: Maybe you can say it's related to DNSOP and TSVWG. But it's okay either

Zahed: I saw your comment. It just says something, it doesn't do anything, no
protocol kinds of things. That's why I didn't put any. But we can write TSV
area, basically. Martin, what do you think? It also talks about ART and HTTP,
everything really.

Martin: It never hurts to mention things but I didn't think this was stomping
on a draft that any transport group is working on. There's a little similarity
to the transport encryption RFC that Colin did, but Colin knows that. I think
it's fine. But a mention doesn't hurt, I wouldn't object to adding it but I
wouldn't insist on it.

Eric V: I'll rely on your decision, Paul.

Paul: I'm thinking. Let me talk to people offline.

Cindy: Then we will put this into the equivalent of Approved, Point Raised, and
we'll send this response once you tell us it's ready to go.

 o conflict-review-irtf-cfrg-ristretto255-decaf448-00
   IETF conflict review for draft-irtf-cfrg-ristretto255-decaf448
     The ristretto255 and decaf448 Groups (IRTF: Informational)
   Token: Roman Danyliw

Cindy: This doesn't have any Discusses, so unless there's an objection, it
looks like this is approved. Hearing no objection, we'll mark this as approved
and get this message out on Monday as usual.

3.4.2 Returning items


4. Working Group actions
4.1 WG creation
4.1.1 Proposed for IETF review

 o Machine Learning for Audio Coding (mlcodec)

Cindy: There are no open Discusses on this charter, so unless there are any
objections this is ready to go out for external review. Hearing no objections,
Murray, this is ready to go as is?

Murray: I got no feedback suggesting a change, but two comments he responded
to. I'll make sure to forward those. But this is ready.

4.1.2 Proposed for approval


4.2 WG rechartering
4.2.1 Under evaluation for IETF review


4.2.2 Proposed for approval


5. IAB news we can use

Cindy: We don't have Roman, Lars, or Mirja today.

Paul: Roman sent a message to the IESG list which contained some IAB news we
can use items.

Cindy: Excellent. So please look for that message from Roman. The big highlight
from yesterday's meeting was that the IAB will work on a response to the NIST
TLS 1.3 thing.

6. Management issues

6.1 [IANA #1268221] renewing early allocation(s) for draft-ietf-mpls-sr-epe-oam

Cindy: Are there any objections to renewing these early allocations?

Andrew: No objections from my side.

Cindy: Okay, then this is approved and we'll get a note sent to IANA.

6.2 [IANA #1270830] renewing early allocations for
draft-bonica-6man-comp-rtg-hdr (IANA)

Cindy: Are there any objections to renewing these early allocations?

Andrew: Erik, if I'm correct, is this document up for Last Call on an
experimental basis? I know Ron asked for that. I'm speaking here as a
co-author, not an AD.

Erik K: That's a good question. I don't know if he's asked for it on the list,
but i know he's asked it of the chairs privately.

Andrew: This code point is very much being used. We have an active

Erik K: This number space is way bigger than the number of allocations in it. I
don't know about the status of the document; I don't think he's actually asked
for adoption.

Eric V: Andrew, I'd be interested to understand the deployment at some point,
not now.

Erik K: It sounds like it needs agenda time in San Francisco. I think it would
be good to renew, thanks.

Cindy: We'll send a note to IANA to approve this renewal.

6.3 [IANA #1274442] Designated expert for IS-IS TLV Codepoints (IANA)

Cindy: They're asking to add Hannes Gredler to the team of experts for these
registries. Any objections to adding Hannes? I'm hearing no objection, so we'll
send a note to IANA approving Hannes.

7. Any Other Business (WG News, New Proposals, etc.)

Paul: There was an email to the IESG yesterday about the gzip registry that's
not really a registry and people wanting to add stuff to it, maybe looking at
making it an IANA registry. We briefed Murray in slack so maybe he can take
this as an action item to think about it.

Murray: I'll look at that message in a minute, but sure.

Paul: Thank you. I'll put a line in the IESG channel for Cindy.

Zahed: To remind you, some of the DTN WG will meet us at the next informal
meeting next week to discuss their idea of how node numbers should be handled.
I'm going to send the link right after this meeting.

Cindy: A reminder also that next week you'll make final BOF decisions.

Zahed: I'm not sure if combining those two in the same meeting is a good idea.

Cindy: I think I remember you wanted Warren for that discussion, and he won't
be available next week.

Zahed: Lars said he would call in and we need him. And after that I'll be on
vacation. Let me think about it.