2012-10-29: Minutes of the IETF/IEEE 802 Coordination Meeting
|Meeting Slides||IETF-IEEE (ietfieee) IAB ASG Snapshot|
|Date and time||2021-12-31 17:00|
|Title||2012-10-29: Minutes of the IETF/IEEE 802 Coordination Meeting|
|Other versions||plain text|
IAB, IESG and IEEE 802 Executive Committee Minutes of the 29 October 2012 Virtual Meeting Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat ATTENDEES ------------------- Ross Callon, IAB Spencer Dawkins, IAB Subir Das, 802.21 Chair Ralph Droms, IESG Russ Housley, IETF Chair Tony Jeffree, 802.1 Chair Bruce Kraemer, IEEE 802.11 Chair Roger Marks, 802.16 Chair Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat Paul Nikolich, 802 Chair Glenn Parsons, 802.1 vice chair, RAC chair, IEEE-SA BOG Dan Romascanu, IETF/IEEE-SA Liaison Pete Resnick, IESG Jon Rosdahl, 802 Executive Secretary, 802.11 Vice Chair Dorothy Stanley, 802.11 Liaison to IETF Michael Johas Teener, IEEE 802.1 Audio/Video Bridging Task Group Chair Pat Thaler, 802 Vice-Chair Sean Turner, IESG REGRETS ------------------- Bernard Aboba, IAB Chair Benoit Claise, IESG Adrian Farrel, IESG Howard Frazier, 802.3 MIB Task Group Chair Eric Gray, IETF Liaison Manager to IEEE 802.1 MINUTES ------------------- 1. Roll Call, Agenda Bashing, Minutes Approval Cindy Morgan called out the roll (see above). The minutes of the 5 September 2012 meeting were approved. 2. Review of Other Action Items from Previous Meetings DONE - Spencer Dawkins, Eric Gray, Dan Romascanu, Dorothy Stanley and Pat Thaler agreed to work on an update to RFC 4441. - The IEEE 802 agreed to review and update the people they currently have subscribed to the new-work mailing list, and to send PARs to new- work. - The IESG agreed to draft an IESG Statement regarding Ethertype Requests. - Spencer Dawkins to create a new mail list for IEEE and IETF general coordination discussion. - Dan Romascanu to initiate a Doodle poll for the date of the next telechat. IN PROGRESS - John D'Ambrosia will add a page to the IEEE 802 website listing their current liaison relationships. - The IEEE 802 will look at removing mailing list restrictions that prevent IETF participants from contributing to IEEE 802 work. DELETED - The IAB and IESG will suggest a process for providing feedback to the IEEE RAC on Virtualization and OUI Tiers * This will be tracked as Item 5 in the "Potential Areas for IETF/ IEEE802 Coordination" document. 3. RFC 4441bis - status report Spencer Dawkins reported that the team working on the revision to RFC 4441 has put together a mailing list and started having weekly conference calls. The team has put together an outline and a -00 draft, and is the process of filling in the text to describe how IEEE 802 works. A -01 draft is expected to be posted early during the week of IETF 85. 4. Areas of shared interest between the IETF and IEEE 802. For further details, please see "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination," <http://www.ietf.org/iesg/ieee/20121029/coordination.txt>. 1. IETF TRILL Fine-grained labeling and IEEE 802.1 tags Ralph Droms reported that a new TRILL draft on fine-grained labeling has been posted which he believes addresses the technical concerns raised by IEEE 802.1. IEEE 802.1 will review the draft [draft-ietf-trill-fine- labeling] and provide comments to the TRILL Working Group. 2. IETF BFD and IEE 802.1AX Adrian Farrel provided an update on this item (included in "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination") via email prior to the meeting. Adrian expects that the BFD Working Group will adopt a draft to work on BFD for LAGs soon soon. 3. IETF NVO3 and IEEE 802.1 DCB Adrian Farrel provided an update on this item (included in "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination") via email prior to the meeting. Adrian reported that the NVO3 Working Group continues to work on architecture and requirements. 4. IETF awareness of IEEE 802.1Q-2011 Pat Thaler agreed to check if IEEE 802.1 is interested in delivering a tutorial on 802.1Q at IETF 86 in Orlando (March 2013). 5. Effect of virtualization on IEEE 802 architecture Ross Callon noted that he was unclear what information the IEEE RAC was looking for from the IETF. Ross agreed to work with Glenn Parsons to arrange a conference call on OUI tier restructuring sometime in the next 3-4 weeks. Dan Romascanu suggested that it might be helpful for IETF participants to learn more about the current status of IEEE 802 work on MAC addresses and virtualization. Russ Housley and Ross Callon agreed to arrange for a presentation on the topic to be delivered by the IEEE at the IETF 86 plenary in Orlando in March 2013. 6. IETF EMU and IEEE 802.1X, 802.11 and 802.16 security based on EAP Dan Romascanu reported that this work item has been closed. 7. IETF Ethernet MIB, ADSL MIB and IEEE 802.3 Benoit Claise provided an update on this item (included in "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination") via email prior to the meeting. The OPSAWG Working Group was rechartered in October 2012 to include work on the relevant documents. 8. IETF 6LOWPAN and IEEE 802.15 Ralph Droms reported that Tom Herbst has volunteered to act as the IEEE 802.15 L2R IG liaison to the IETF. Ralph will stay in touch with Tom to monitor possible interactions with the IETF. 9. IETF PAWS WG and IEEE 802.1, 802.11, 802.15, 802.16, 802.22 Dan Romascanu reported that he has exchanged email with Gabor Bajko to try to determine which IEEE 802 working groups need to coordinate with the PAWS Working Group. Dan reported that 802.15 and 802.16 will be removed from the list. 10. IETF IPPM and IEEE 802.16 Metrology Study Group Roger Marks asked if the IPPM Working Group had sent a response to the liaison [https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1195/] from IEEE 802.16. Dan Romascanu reported that he had an email from one of the IPPM chairs stating that he did not think further action was necessary. Dan agreed to work with the IPPM chairs to send a response to the liaison. 11. IETF Mobile IP and IEEE 802.16 HetNet Study Group Roger Marks reported that he is working to move this forward and expects to have more to report after the IEEE 802 plenary in November 2012. 12. IETF HOKEY and IEEE 802.21 Subir Das reported that this work item can be closed; the HOKEY Working Group concluded in August 2012. 13. IETF MIF and IEEE 802.21 Subir Das reported that there is a joint draft from the MIF Working Group and IEEE 802.21 that will be presented at the MIF Working Group session at IETF 85. 14. IETF IPFIX Information Elements for Data Link monitoring Benoit Claise provided an update on this item (included in "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination") via email prior to the meeting. The IPFIX Working Group started a Working Group Last Call on the document that will end just after IETF 85, on 11 November 2012. 15. IETF RADIUS attributes for IEEE 802 networks Benoit Claise provided an update on this item (included in "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination") via email prior to the meeting. A new version of the draft was posted on 21 October 2012. A call for review has been sent to IEEE 802.1 and IEEE 802.11. A Working Group Last Call will be sent out after the IETF 85. 16. IEEE802.1Q SRP (and Gen2 updates) and RSVP/SIP Michael Johas Teener agreed to provide a description for this item in the "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination" document. 17. IEEE 802.1AS/1588 and NTP Michael Johas Teener agreed to provide a description for this item in the "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination" document. Ralph Droms suggested that he coordinate with Brian Haberman, who is the Area Director for the NTP and TICTOC Working Groups. 18. 802.1AS/1588, 802.1Q time aware shaper(s) and RTP Michael Johas Teener agreed to provide a description for this item in the "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination" document. 19. Common OAM proposal Ralph Droms reported that a design to use 802.1 OAM in TRILL was presented and discussed at the 802.1 interim meeting in Santa Cruz. The discussion at the interim meeting had some contentious moments. Several interested parties from both IEEE and IETF got together for a teleconference to discuss the situation. The group concluded that the use of 802.1 OAM in TRILL may be possible, but there are technical challenges because the IEEE 802.1 OAM model assumes that Bridge ports are addressable and TRILL Nicknames identify the Rbridge, not the Rbridge port. How to solve this (and potentially other) technical challenge depends on the requirements and model for TRILL OAM. The TRILL Working Group will first publish a requirements document and a framework document as background for developing a specific 802.1-based OAM for TRILL. Pat Thaler agreed to be an expert reviewer for the requirements document when it is sent to the IESG. 5. Action Items recap New action items 2012-10-29: - Russ Housley and Ross Callon to arrange for presentation on MAC addresses and virtualization to be delivered by the IEEE at the IETF plenary in Orlando (March 2013). - Ross Callon and Glenn Parsons to arrange a conference call on OUI tier restructuring sometime in the next 3-4 weeks (end of November 2012). - IEEE 802.1 to review IETF TRILL draft on fine-grained labeling [draft-ietf-trill-fine-labeling] and provide comments. - Pat Thaler to see if IEEE 802.1 wants to deliver a tutorial on 802.1Q at IETF 86 in Orlando (March 2013). (If yes, Russ Housley to work with IETF EDU team to make it happen.) - Michael Johas Teener to fill in descriptions for "Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination" items 16, 17 and 18. 6. Next virtual meeting possible dates Dan Romascanu agreed to initiate a Doodle poll for the date of the next teleconference, to be held during the second or third week of December. 7. Leadership Meeting in Orlando The group agreed that the next face-to-face meeting will be held on Saturday, 16 March 2013 (8:00 AM - 5:00 PM) in Orlando.