Skip to main content

2015-01-21: Minutes

Meeting Slides IETF-IEEE (ietfieee) IAB ASG
Date and time 2021-12-31 20:00
Title 2015-01-21: Minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

IAB, IESG and IEEE 802 Executive Committee
Minutes of the 21 January 2015 Virtual Meeting

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

  Alia Atlas
  Ben Campbell
  Benoit Claise    
  Alissa Cooper
  Subir Das 
  Spencer Dawkins
  Donald Eastlake 
  Stephen Farrell
  Norman Finn
  Eric Gray
  Bob Grow
  Roger Marks
  Kathleen Moriarty  
  Cindy Morgan 
  Paul Nikolich 
  Dan Romascanu    
  Jon Rosdahl   
  Pat Thaler    
  Juan Carlos Zuniga 

  Brian Haberman
  Bob Heile
  Dorothy Stanley


1. Roll Call, Agenda Bashing, Minutes Approval

  The minutes of the 29 September 2014 meeting were approved.

  Dan Romascanu noted that Juan Carlos Zuniga would report on the 
  results of the IEEE 02 EC Privacy Recommendation Study Group and the 
  IETF 91 Wi-Fi Privacy Experiment during item 24 of shared work items 

2. Review of Other Action Items from Previous Meetings (not part of the 
   shared items list)


  - Glenn Parsons to follow up with Adrian Farrel and the expert 
    reviewers for the IS-IS TLV registry about getting an assignment for 

  - Glenn Parsons to send a detailed description of the 802.1 IS-IS TLV 
    issue to Dan Romascanu for addition in the shared work items list.

3. 2015 Face-to-Face meeting 

  The group discussed the potential for a face-to-face meeting in 2015, 
  noting that the IETF and the IEEE 802 will not meet during consecutive 
  weeks on the same continent at all during 2015 or 2016.

  Jon Rosdahl reported that he is currently holding a room for a face-
  to-face IETF/IEEE 802 leadership meeting on Saturday, 16 January 2016, 
  immediately prior to the IEEE 802 interim meeting in Atlanta, Georgia.  
  Dan Romascanu noted that that is a holiday weekend in the United 
  States (Martin Luther King Day).

  Paul Nikolich asked whether another face-to-face meeting was necessary 
  so soon.  Benoit Claise replied that it would depend on the agenda for 
  the meeting, but several people noted that in order to guarantee a 
  space for the meeting, the room often must be booked far in advance of 
  putting together an agenda, as it is unknown what the hot topics will 
  be a year from now.

  Dan Romascanu asked how long the room for 16 January 2016 could be 
  held without penalty.  Jon Rosdahl replied that he would have to 
  cancel it by November 2015. After brief discussion, the group agreed 
  to decide by the September 2015 conference call whether to release the 
  meeting room in Atlanta or schedule the face-to-face meeting.

4. IETF Areas Reorganization

  Dan Romascanu reported that the IESG is making some changes to its 
  internal structure, including adding a third Routing Area Director.  

  Benoit Claise added that his work as Operations and Management AD will 
  focus on YANG models, with non-YANG-related Working Groups being 
  managed by other ADs.  He further noted that they are creating a YANG 
  directorate, to make sure that all of the various pieces fit together.    
  Pat Thaler noted that there are some projects in 802 that are 
  considering YANG models.

  Dan Romascanu reported that the IESG will also only have one AD in the 
  Application Area. Stephen Farrell noted that there will be no change 
  to the NomCom cycle.  Alissa Cooper added that there may be some 
  additional shuffling between the Applications, Transport, and Real-
  time Applications and Infrastructure Areas after the leadership 
  changeover in March.

5. March 2015 Meetings 

  Dan Romascanu noted that it was still early enough in the cycles that 
  the various PAR and BOF requests have not been sent in yet.

  Norm Finn reported that 802 is expecting to see PARs on cyclic 
  queueing and forwarding and on purse string filtering and policing.  

  Pat Thaler added that 802.3 has a couple of study groups working on 
  25GBASE-T and next-generation access base, but that she does not 
  expect there to be much overlap with IETF work.

  For the current status and more information, please see:

  Benoit Claise reported that he is expecting to see a BOF proposal on 
  SUPA (Shared Unified Policy Automation). Dan Romascanu observed that 
  there may be an impact on IEEE 802 work, as they may define a layer 2 

  Norm Finn reported that he plans to request a DETNET (Deterministic 
  Networking) BOF at IETF 92.

  Alia Atlas added that some of the BIER work on explicit multicast from 
  IETF 91 may carry over to a new BOF or WG proposal for IETF 92.

  For the current status and more information, please see:

6. Review of Areas of Shared Interest Between the IETF and IEEE 802  

  For more information, please see:

 Item 3. IETF NVO3 and IEEE 802.1 DCB

  Pat Thaler reported that there were no changes to the current status, 
  and that work seems to be progressing well. There are two drafts 
  related to the NVO3 regarding possible applicability of VDP to the 
  NVO3 hypervisor to NVE protocol:

  - draft-ietf-nvo3-hpvr2nve-cp-req-01 lists the requirements of the 
  - draft-pt-nvo3-vdp-vm2nve-gap-analysis-00 describes the gap between 
    current VDP and the earlier version of requirements.
  Alia Atlas noted that she will be the shepherding AD for this work 
  once Adrian Farrel steps down in March.

 Item 5. Enabling use of Local Addresses for virtualization and IoT 

  Pat Thaler reported that at the 802c PAR in November, there were 
  concerns from people who want to use the local address space, so the 
  work did not proceed.  A study group was assigned to look at the 
  problem and is making changes to the PAR to make it more clear that 
  this is not the only way to look at local address space.  Pat added 
  that there is also an early draft PAR on address assignment protocol 
  that she expects to see for the July meeting.

  Dan Romascanu asked if it is the Internet and Operations Areas that 
  should be reviewing this work.  Pat Thaler said yes, and Juan Carlos 
  Zuniga added that the implications for this in the Internet Area are 
  in regards to layer 3 protocols.

 Item 7. IETF Ethernet MIB, ADSL MIB and IEEE 802.3

  Benoit Claise reported that the document for this item is currently in 
  the RFC Editor Queue.  This item will be closed once the RFC is 

 Item 9. IETF PAWS WG and 802.11, 802.19, 802.22

  Dan Romascanu reported that the last document for this item is 
  currently in the RFC Editor Queue, stuck with a dependency on another 
  draft that is currently in Last Call.  This item will be closed once 
  the RFC is published.

 Item 11. IETF and IEEE 802.1 OmniRAN TG

  Max Riegel reported by email prior to the call that they are currently 
  working on the initial draft for this item; once the draft is ready, 
  it will be sent to the relevant IETF working groups for review.

 Item 19. Common OAM proposal / Layer Independent OAM

  Dan Romascanu reported that the description for this work item has 
  been updated, as much of the work in TRILL was on the way to being 
  completed. Donald Eastlake added that the TRILL OAM documents are in 
  the RFC Editor Queue and should be published in the next few weeks. 

  Dan Romascanu noted that the information will need to continue to flow 
  between the groups, especially with the new work being undertaken by 
  the LIME working group in the IETF.  

  Benoit Claise will remain as the owner of this item on the IETF side; 
  Norm Finn took an action to find someone to replace Ben Mack-Crane as 
  owner on the IEEE 802 side.

 Item 21. 6tsch

  Neither Ted Lemon nor Bob Heile were able to attend the call.  Dan 
  Romascanu suggested adding an action item for Ted and Bob to establish 
  a formal liaison between the 6TISCH working group and 802.15.

 Item 22. CAPWAP extensions in OPSAWG

  Benoit Claise reported that draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac will 
  shortly be in the RFC Editor Queue; the other draft is not yet 
  complete, as it does not have the tunnel information.

 Item 23. Naming in Layer 2 Networks

  Juan Carlos Zuniga reported that there is a draft being adopted in the 
  IETF MIF working group, but that they have not yet touched on its 
  implications on layer 2 networking.  He suggested that this item 
  remain open for another cycle to see if any progress can be made.

  Dan Romascanu noted that Ted Lemon will be stepping down in March, and 
  asked Juan Carlos Zuniga to check with Ted to make sure the token gets 
  passed to someone else.

 Item 24. Coordination between the IETF and IEEE 802 on Pervasive 

  Stephen Farrel reported that RFC 7435 on Opportunistic Security: Some 
  Protection Most of the Time was published, and that work continues in 
  the various working groups.

  Juan Carlos Zuniga reported that the IEEE 802 EC Privacy 
  Recommendation Study Group is studying layer 2 privacy issues and 
  considering the need for a recommended proactive applicable to the 
  IEEE 802 protocols.  The study group is chartered to run through March 
  2015, and he expects it to be renewed to run until July 2015.

  The group conducted a Wi-Fi privacy experiment at IETF 91, looking at 
  potential issues related to DHCP pools, states in network switches, 
  MAC address collisions, ARP/ND, IPv6 addressing, and security 
  infrastructure.  The opt-in trial was coordinated between the study 
  group and the IETF NOC team.

  The slides with the results of the experiment are available at:

 Item 25. Layer2/Layer 3 Interaction for Time-Sensitive Traffic

  Norm Finn took an action item to provide a better description for this 
  shared work item.

 Item 26. IS-IS extensions for IEEE 802.1Qca

  Dan Romascanu reported that the relevant I-Ds will progress after 
  802.1Qca is approved and goes into straw ballot. Alia Atlas added that 
  the I-Ds are currently individual drafts that will need to go through 
  the working group process; she will work with the relevant working 
  group chairs to make sure they move along rapidly.

 Item 27. Development of YANG models in the IEEE 802

  Benoit Claise reported that there was a proposal to fold existing MIB 
  models in the IEEE into YANG models, noting that that is a huge amount 
  of work, and it would perhaps be better to start with a generic 
  bridging YANG model to make sure that there is the right community for 
  this within the IEEE 802.

  Dan Romascanu observed that the IETF can help with education and 
  support, but that really this process needs to happen in parallel with 
  the development of community of knowledgeable people in the IEEE 802.  
  Benoit Claise replied that they have started by having Andy Bierman 
  give a tutorial on NETCONF and YANG at IETF 90.  The slides from that 
  tutorial are available at:

  Glenn Parsons was given an action to nominate someone from the IEEE 
  side to work with Benoit Claise on this.

 New/Additional Items

  Pat Thaler noted that the 802 wireless group should be asked to 
  comment on draft-baccelli-manet-multihop-communication once it gets 
  adopted by a working group. However, since it is currently still an 
  individual draft, it is only something to watch rather than to act 

7. Review of Action Items

  - Pat Thaler to send pointers to the I-Ds relevant to shared item 3 
    (NVO3). [DONE]

  - Ted Lemon and Bob Heile to establish a formal liaison relationship 
    between the IETF 6TISCH WG and IEEE 802.15.

  - Juan Carlos Zuniga to send the slides on the MAC privacy Study Group 
    to Cindy Morgan for posting with the meeting materials. [DONE]

  - Norm Finn to provide a better description for shared item 25
    (Layer2/Layer 3 Interaction for Time-Sensitive Traffic).

  - Glenn Parsons to nominate someone from the IEEE side to work with 
    Benoit Claise on shared item 27 (YANG models).

  - Glenn Parsons to nominate someone to replace Ben Mack-Crane as the 
    802 contact point for shared item 19 (Common OAM proposal).

  - Dan Romascanu to send out a Doodle poll to schedule next conference 
    call, week of June 8 or June 15.