Skip to main content

2018-03-23: Minutes

Meeting Slides IETF-IEEE (ietfieee) IAB ASG
Date and time 2021-12-31 23:00
Title 2018-03-23: Minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

Minutes of the 2018-03-23 IETF-IEEE 802 Coordination Meeting, London


- Amelia Andersdotter
- Deborah Brungard
- Subir Das
- Donald Eastlake
- Janos Farkas
- Eric Gray
- Bob Heile
- Russ Housley
- John Messenger
- Cindy Morgan
- Glenn Parsons
- Charlie Perkins
- Dorothy Stanley
- Pat Thaler
- Pascal Thubert
- Juan Carlos Zuniga

1. Recognition

  The group thanked Pat Thaler for her service. Dorothy Stanley will be 
  taking on the role of co-chair of this coordination group.

2. Face-to-Face Meeting in Bangkok

  Russ Housley noted that IETF and IEEE 802 will meet during consecutive 
  weeks in Bangkok in November 2018, and asked if there were any agenda 
  items for a joint meeting. He suggested a half-day meeting between 
  DetNet and 802, with the remainder of the day for overall IETF-IEEE 
  802 coordination.

3. Coordination List


  - Item 3. IETF NVO3 and IEEE 802.1 DCB

  Russ Housley noted that Alia Atlas and Pat Thaler had been the leads 
  on this item, but both of them are retiring. The new leads will be 
  Martin Vigoureux and Janos Farkas.

  Pat Thaler reported that 802.1Qcy is currently in sponsor ballot and 
  has been shared with the NVO3 WG; it is expected to be done by July 

  - Item 5. Enabling use of Local Addresses for virtualization and IoT 

  Pat Thaler reported that Glenn Parsons, Max Riegel, and OmniRAN will 
  be working on this from the 802 side. She added that there is an 
  Internet-Draft (draft-bvtm-dhc-mac-assign) on Link-Layer Addresses 
  Assignment Mechanism for DHCPv6 that should be added to the list of 
  relevant documents for this item.

  - Item 11. IETF and IEEE 802.1 OmniRAN TG

  Glenn Parsons reported that 802.1CF is in WG Last Call and will be 
  sent to the IETF for review once it is stable, probably after July 

  - Item 21. 6tisch

  Pascal Thubert reported that the 6tisch work is proceeding as planned.

  - Item 22. CAPWAP extensions in OPSAWG

  Russ Housley noted that draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-alt-tunnel was 
  approved by the IESG and sent to the RFC Editor. This item can be 
  closed once the RFC is published.

  - Item 24. Coordination between the IETF and IEEE 802 on Pervasive 

  Juan Carlos Zuniga reported that work has begun on an Informational 
  Internet-Draft describing the MAC address randomization experiments 
  that the IETF and IEEE 802 did at their meetings in 2015.

  IEEE 802 will send information about IEEE 802E to the IETF once it is 
  stable (likely July 2018).

  - Item 25. Layer2/Layer 3 Interaction for Time-Sensitive Traffic

  Deborah Brungard reported that the DetNet WG will meet after this 
  meeting. Pat Thaler noted that Janos Farkas will replace her as DetNet 

  - Item 27. Development of YANG models in the IEEE 802

  Glenn Parsons suggested adding Scott Mansfield to the list of owners 
  for this item, as he is leading the YANGsters effort in 802.

  Russ Housley asked if there will be a YANG module for ethertypes. 
  Glenn Parsons replied that the IEEE RAC had initially planned to use 
  machine-generated YANG modules for ethertypes, but the desire from the 
  IETF side was to have hand-designed names for each ethertype. 

  Russ Housley will ask Benoit Claise for an update on the current 

  - Item 30. Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)

  Russ Housley reported that the IPv6 over 802.11 spec (draft-ietf-
  ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb) is currently in Working Group Last Call.

  Pascal Thubert reported that the 6LO draft on IPv6 level registrations 
  is currently in IESG review. 

  Dorothy Stanley reported that IEEE 802.11 is starting a Study Group on 
  Next Gen V2X.  It will update the PHY to be more like 802.11n or 
  802.11ac. The first meeting of the SG will be in Warsaw in May 2018.

4. New items for coordination list

  Pat Thaler reported that there have been discussions in 802.1 on 
  congestion isolation; this was presented in TSVWG earlier this week. 
  This work is not yet chartered in 802, but if it does go forward it 
  should coordinate with TSVWG.

  Deborah Brungard noted that one of Alvaro Retana's WGs had a 
  discussion on routing discovery where LLDP was identified; there was a 
  question about whether the 1500 byte frame size was the limit or if it 
  was possible to have a longer one. Pat Thaler replied that they had 
  looked at using LLDP but decided not to because of those limitations.