Skip to main content

2018-11-20: Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination v28

Meeting Slides IETF-IEEE (ietfieee) IAB ASG
Date and time 2021-12-31 23:00
Title 2018-11-20: Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination v28
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

Potential Areas for IETF/IEEE802 Coordination

0. Revision History
0.0 Initial Revision - 9/4/2012
0.1 revised for the period between 9/5 and 10/29
0.2 revised according to input received on 01, still reflects the 9/5-10/29
time interval 0.3 revised after the 10/29/12 meeting 0.4 revised for the period
between 10/29 and 12/12 0.5 revised after the 12/17/12 meeting 0.6 revised for
the period between 12/17/12 and 2/5/13 0.7 revised for the period between
2/5/13 and 4/30/13 0.8 revised after the 5/2/13 meeting 0.9 revised for the
period between 5/2/13 and 9/22/13 0.10 revised after the 9/30 meeting 0.11
revised for the period between 9/30/13 and 1/22/14 0.12 revised after the
1/27/14 meeting 0.13 revised after the 6/18/14 meeting 0.14 revised with
updates before the 9/29/14 f2f meeting 0.15 revised for the period between
9/29/14 and 1/20/15 0.16 revised for the period between 1/20/15 and 6/15/15
0.17 revised for the period between 6/16/15 and 8/12/15 0.18 revised for the
period between 8/12/15 and 12/15/15 0.19 revised for the period between
12/15/15 and 1/28/16 0.20 revised for the period between 1/28/16 and 6/7/16
0.21 revised for the period between 6/7/16 and 8/15/16 0.22 revised for the
period between 8/16/16 and 1/30/17 0.23 revised for the period between
31-Jan-2017 and 10-Apr-2017 0.24 revised for the period between 11-Apr-2017 and
15-Jul-2017 0.25 revised for the period between 16-Jul-2017 and 16-Oct-2017
0.26 revised for the period between 17-Oct-2017 and 29-Mar-2018 0.27 revised
for the period between 30-Mar-2018 and 29-Jun-2018 0.28 revised for the period
between 30-Jun-2018 and 10-Nov-2018


3. IETF NVO3 and IEEE 802.1 DCB

3.1. Description
IEEE 802.1Qbg VDP might be used as the basis for the communication that
NVO may need between an end system and an external box (e.g. bridge or
router) doing the NVO encapsulation. Coordination will help determine if
VDP is a suitable candidate and possibly to make any amendment needed in
VDP for NVO usage.  (DONE)

Liaison statement from NVO3 to IEEE 802.1 - about http:// It was
discussed at the IEEE 802.1 interim meeting in May 2015. PAR and CSD for
802.1Qcn- Amendment, VSI/VDP extensions for NVO3 were submitted. A
formal response will be provided at the July Plenary meeting.  (DONE)

Jun. 2015: Pat Thaler reported that the project work is ongoing, and that
  802.1 will likely send a liaison back to NVO3 after the July meetings.
  She added that interim teleconferences will be used so that people can
  participate without having to attend a lot of face-to-face meetings.

Sep. 2016: IEEE 802.1Qcn PAR approved in June

Jan. 2016: editors identified (Li Yijhou, Paul Bottorf)

Jun. 2016: IEEE 802.1Qcn draft and meetings in progress

Jul. 2016: P802.1Qcn/D0.3 posted

Aug. 2016: IETF LC for draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-06

Dec. 2016: Publication of RFC 8014

Jan. 2017:  NVO3 WG calls for review of

Mar. 2017: Alia and Pat found reviewers for IEEE 802.1Qcn D0.4

Sep. 2017: 802.1Qcn is being renamed to 802.1Qcy

Mar. 2018: Draft of 802.1Qcy was shared with NVO3 WG

Mar. 2018: The work within 802.1 has been moved to the TSN task group.

Jun. 2018: IEEE 802.1Qcy is in sponsor ballot, and comment resolution is
  going well.

Nov. 2018: IEEE 802.1Qcy is going to REVCOM in the next few weeks; it is
  essentially done.

3.2. Relevant Documents -
RFC 7364 - RFC 7365

3.3. Owners - Martin Vigoureux, Janos Farkas

3.4. Action Items

- Close the coordination item when IEEE 802.1Qcy is published.


5. Enabling use of Local Addresses for virtualization and IoT (was:
Effect of virtualization on IEEE 802 architecture)

5.1. Description

At the 7/25/12 f2f meeting Glenn Parsons presented a brief overview of
the IEEE Registration Authority Committee (RAC) mission, highlighting
the current RAC policy on virtualization and asking what virtualization
policy would reduce the consumption of EUI-48 addresses.  Norman Finn
suggested this could be an area of collaboration between the IETF and
the IEEE 802.

Status 4/30/13 - Glenn Parsons submitted an I-D and gave presentations
at IETF-86 in the Technical Plenary, OPS and INT area meetings. The IEEE
RAC will finalize and approve the proposal by June.

9/9/13: draft-ieee-rac-oui-restructuring-01.txt submitted

Status 1/14/14 (Bob Grow): Right now that would just be a RAC document,

7/14/14 - Pat Thaler and Don Pannell gave presentations on regarding
concerns about potential global address consumption by IoT devices and
feasibil8ity of using local MAC addresses for such devices. Virtual
machines usually have a hypervisor with a physical port with a global
address to use to acquire a local MAC address for the VM and an
orchestration system to provide the address. In contrast, a protocol for
IoT devices should work without a global address for the physical port
and should allow for operation with or without an address server.

9/13/14 IEEE 802.1 drafted a PAR for an Amendment to IEEE 802 Overview
and Architecture, P802c Local Media Access Control (MAC) Addressing. If
the PAR is approved, the amendment will describe using a portion of the
address space for protocols assigning local addresses out of a CID block
associated with the protocol. A portion of the local address space will
continue to be used for assignment by local administrators.  Forwarding
the PAR will be considered at the November IEEE 802 meeting.

IEEE 802.1 is also considering a project to define a protocol for local
address claiming (i.e. without an address server) and local address
distribution using blocks from the CID space. The protocol would be
usable by IoT devices that do not have a global address assignment.

November 2014 - IEEE 802.1 approved the formation of the IEEE 802.1
Local Address Study Group (LASG)

January 2015 - First meeting of the LASG at the Atlanta IEEE 802.1
Interim. PARs and CSDs for the SG formation and a possible Local Address
Assignment Protocol were drafted for discussions.

March 2015 - Approval of the P802c project

June 2015 - Ralph Droms will monitor this and see if it will be of
interest to the IETF.

9/29: working on PAR on protocols for local address acquisition

IEEE 802.1CQ - Multicast and Local Address Assignment - approved
after the November IEEE 802 Plenary

Jan 2016: P802c D0.1 available and discussed at the January 2016 interim

June 2016: P802c D0.2 - TF ballot, comment resolution at the May 2016
interim meeting

June 2016: initial version of a new PAR proposal for a Link-local
Registration Protocol circulated on the WG mail list

June 2016: WG ballot for P802c/D1.0

July 2016: submission of rfc7042bis I-D

Aug. 2016: second WG ballot for P802c/D1.

Dec. 2016: P802c is approved.

Jan. 2017: There may be some interest in using DHCP to assign MAC addresses.

Jul. 2017: It seems like it would be straightforward to assign MAC
addresses with DHCPv4.  So far, an author for that has not been found.

Oct. 2017: Shooting for an Internet-Draft on using DHCP to assign MAC
addresses in November or December.

Mar. 2018: draft-bvtm-dhc-mac-assign shared with IEEE 802.1.

Mar. 2018: The work within 802.1 has been moved to the OmniRAN task group.

May 2018: Bernie Volz to give presentation on using DHCPv6 to assign
dynamic MAC address to the 802.1 OmniRAN TG on 21 May 2018.

Nov. 2018: draft-ietf-6lo-rfc6775-update is approved; it will be RFC 8505.
draft-ietf-6lo-ap-nd-08 is a companion; and it si close to WGLC.  It protects
the registered addresses against snooping, traffic injection, and attraction,
using elliptic curve crypto without a PKI.

Nov. 2018: 6LoWPAN (for RFC 6282) needs the MAC and IP addresses aligned
for optimal compression. Highly desirable for the Local MAC to be used in
the IPv6 address.

5.2. Relevant Documents

5.3. Owners - Glenn Parsons, Max Riegel, Suresh Krishnan

5.4. Action Items

- Coordinate draft-bvtm-dhc-mac-assign when it becomes stable

- Coordinate IEEE 801.2CQ when it becomes stable


11. IETF and IEEE 802.1 OmniRAN TG

11.1. Description
The 802.1 OmniRAN TG is authorized to create a recommended practice on
Network Reference Model and Functional Description of IEEE 802 Access
Network (IEEE P802.1CF).  The project specifies an access network
reference model, including entities and reference points along with
behavioral and functional descriptions of communications among those
entities to provide a generic model of IEEE 802 access network for
connecting terminals to their access routers over a link based on the
family of IEEE 802 Standards.  The specification describes the use of
IEEE 802 technologies to build heterogeneous access networks, which may
include multiple network interfaces, multiple network access
technologies, and multiple network subscriptions, aimed to unify the
support of different interface technologies, enabling shared network
control and use of software defined network (SDN) principles.

9/29/15: see status at

2/1/16: OmniRAN TG created first draft of specification and currently
focuses on creation of initial text for all open sections. A draft with
all sections addressed is expected after the Jul 2016 IEEE 802 plenary
meeting and is intended to be shared with IETF for feedback and review.

6/6/16: OmniRAN TG met at the interim meeting in May 2016. A status
report is available. TG ballot expected after the July 2016 plenary,
will be distributed to the IETF

Aug 2016: TG ballot of IEEE 802.1CF/D0.2

OmniRAN will meet at the IEEE wireless interim meeting in Sep. 2016

Jan. 2017: The latest status of the P802.1CF specification was presented
to the IETF at the IETF meeting in Korea in November and offered interested
individuals of IETF access to the document.

Nov. 2018: IEEE 802.1cf went to letter ballot, and got 95% approval; comment
resolution is underway.

11.2. Relevant Documents
Project status: (links to draft
documents) OmniRAN TG Wiki:

11.3. Owners - Max Riegel

11.4. Action Items

- Send IEEE 802.1CF to IETF for review when in Nov. 2018


21. 6tisch

21.1. Description:
Enable communication and cross-review between the 6tisch WG and IEEE 802
- In IEEE 802.15: (Bob): Go to the 802.15 website and look for L2R
  under public docs.  The group formed in March with a goal to spend 6
  months to end up at a project point.

- Status 9/22 - 6tisch charter in external review, on IESG agenda for
  9/26, external review message distributed

- Status 9/30/13 (Ted): WG was chartered

- Presentation by Pascal Thubert at the IEEE 802 plenary - https://

- Status 6/18/14: Bob Heile updated that they have set up a group in
  802.15 that would be the companion to the IETF 6TISCH. There has been
  a lot of cross-participation. Pat Kinney mentioned that they were
  participating with the weekly calls and a number of are planning to
  attend IETF 90.

- Status 9/14 (Bob Heile): IEEE 802.15.4 has formed an Interest group
  for 6TiSCH, the 6t IG. The group met at the IEEE with good feedback
  on the IETF WG work.

- Status 12/15: Mail from Michael Richardson asking about the need to
  establish a formal liaison between 6tisch and IEEE 802.15.4

- Discussions at IETF 94 about planned par on IEEE 802.15 LLC.
  Charlie Perkins made presentation with INTAREA.

- September 2015, status from Pascal Thubert: - 6tisch is working on
  rechartering to integrate dynamic scheduling, that is dynamic allocation
  of time slots between peer routers to adapt to IP flows. This involves
  activity in the 6top layer and protocol elements over the wire(less).

- 802.15.4 is forming a group to work on LLC. Ultimately the 6top layer
  and related protocol elements should belong there; so there will be a
  need for splitting responsibilities and transfer.

- Request for a 6lowpan Ethertype: Dan suggest on email to the IESG to
  request for an "early allocation" for IPv6 with 6lowpan header compression

- IEEE 802.15.4 approved (December 2015)

- January 2016: IEEE 802.15.12 Upper Layer Interface (ULI) Project
  Authorization Request (PAR) approved by the 801.15 WG, will be discussed
  for approval by 802 and EC at the March IEEE 802 plenary; comments welcome

- January 2016: 6TiSCH is pursuing its effort to recharter, including std
  work on the 6top sublayer. 6Top may ultimately fall beneath the 15.12
  boundary and if so we'll need to preserve the APIs and the air interface

- IEEE 802.15.12 approved by IEEE 802

- March 2015: P802.15.9 (C/LM) Recommended Practice for Transport of Key
  Management Protocol (KMP) Datagrams was approved as a new standard by
  the IEEE-SA Standards Board

- June 2016: The development of the 6P protocol is going on well at 6TiSCH
  and an ETSI plugtest should be run on July 15-16 right before the IETF.
  Thanks to IEEE cross participation the WG received recommendations on how
  to do the signaling. How / when to handoff to .12 has not been discussed
  yet. The expectation would be that an RFC will be within a year from now,
  and that 802.12 will be ready to take over by then.

- July 2016: ETSI plugtest

- August 2016: draft-ietf-6lo-ethertype-request-01 approved for publication

- Jan. 2016:  Pascal Thubert reported that work on the draft is progressing.
  Pat Kinney reported that from the 802.15.12 side, it will include things
  like 6lowpan and 6tsich. They have finished the architecture and are now
  working on over-the-air interfaces.

- Jun. 2017: draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal was published as RFC 8180.

- Jul. 2017: ETSI is organizing an 6TiSCH PlugTest prior to the IETF 99.

- Feb. 2018: IETF WG sent draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-09 to the IESG
  for publication. This document defines 6P, a MAC-layer protocol, for
  negotiating time slots; 6P messages are carried as payload of an
  IEEE 802.15.4 Payload Information Element (IE) using one of the
  "IEEE Std 802.15.4 IETF IE subtype IDs".

- Apr. 2018: IESG Ballot on draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol; some
  DISCUSS positions to resolve.

- Jun. 2018: IESG Ballot on draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol; one
  DISCUSS position to resolve remains.

- Nov. 2018: The 6tisch WG work is largely complete.  Expect the
  architecture to be approved by the end of 2018.  May recharter if
  id there is a new 802.11 MAC or PHY to accomodate.

- Nov. 2018: There is a publication request for draft-bi-savi-wlan.
  It is related to RFC 8505. The SAVI draft represents a personal view
  of what to do when RFC 8505 does not exist; allows wireless to scale.
  The 802.11 association model is preferable to snooping, and RFC 8505
  represents that association at layer 3.

21.2. Relevant Documents
- Mail list
- -- RFC 7554
- -- RFC 8180
- -- RFC 8480

 21.3. Owners: Suresh Krishnan, Bob Heile

21.4. Action Items

- follow the activities in the IETF and IEEE 802.15, share information
  informally until points of coordination are identified


24. Coordination between the IETF and IEEE 802 on Pervasive Monitoring

24.1. Description
The IETF has reached consensus in RFC7258 that pervasive monitoring
ought be treated as with other threats in the development of IETF
protocols. The IEEE 802 started an IEEE 802 Executive Committee (EC)
Privacy Recommendation SG which will study privacy issues related to
IEEE 802 technologies and consider the need for a recommended practice
applicable to IEEE 802 protocols. Given that IETF protocols often run
over IEEE protocols, their privacy properties are intertwined. It would
therefore be useful if both organizations consider the privacy issues
related to usages of combinations of their protocols. For example,
consideration of how MAC addresses may impinge on the privacy properties
of higher layer protocols seems like an obvious area to examine. This
work item could identify how IEEE and IETF protocols together can make
privacy better or worse and feed into the normal development processes
of both organizations.

- A PAR and CSD for Privacy Recommendation EC Study Group - Recommended
Practice, Privacy Considerations for IEERE 802 Technologies was
submitted and sent for review to the IETF

- July 2015: The Privacy Recommendation PAR and CSD were approved
yesterday at the 802 Executive Committee closing meeting. They will now
be forwarded to NesCom for final approval

- September 2015: Privacy Recommendation now within scope of
IEEE 802.1 Security TF as IEEE 802E

- May 2016: Draft 04 of IEEE 802E available

- Mar 2017: Draft 07 of IEEE 802E available

- Mar. 2018: Work is beginning on an Informational RFC that tells about
the MAC randomization experiments at IETF and IEEE 802 meetings.

- Nov. 2018: Expect to share a draft of 802E at the end of 2018.

24.2. Relevant Documents

24.3. Owners: Eric Rescorla, Juan Carlos Zuniga, Jerome Henry

24.4. Action Items

- send information about IEEE 802E when the document is stable (probably Nov.


25. Layer2/Layer 3 Interaction for Time-Sensitive Traffic

25.1. Description

The Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Working Group focuses on
deterministic data paths that operate over Layer 2 bridged and Layer 3
routed segments, where such paths can provide bounds on latency, loss,
and packet delay variation (jitter), and high reliability. The Working
Group addresses Layer 3 aspects in support of applications requiring
deterministic networking. The Working Group collaborates with IEEE802.1
Time Sensitive Networking (TSN), which is responsible for Layer 2
operations, to define a common architecture for both Layer 2 and Layer
3. Example applications for deterministic networks include professional
and home audio/video, multimedia in transportation, engine control
systems, and other general industrial and vehicular applications being
considered by the IEEE 802.1 TSN Task Group.

- July 2015: BoF held at IETF 93. Chartering decision now with the IESG

- September 2015: DetNet WG chartered

- 6TiSCH is establishing requirements for detnet:

- November 2015: Detnet WG hold its first meeting at IETF 94

- January 2016: use case I-D adopted as WG document, data plane I-D in

- April 2016: Problem statement I-D adopted as WG item

- August 2016: draft-finn-detnet-architecture and draft-dt-detnet-dp-alt
  candidates for WG adoption

- Jan. 2017 - Jouni Korhonen reported that the design team hopes to have
  a first cut of the data plane draft available within the next couple
  of weeks.

- Jul. 2017 - a bunch of documents have been approved or published in
  IEEE 802 over the past few months, including many extensions to the
  IEEE 802.1Q bridging specification.

- Oct. 2017 - 802.1 is working on data plane and control plane, but DetNet
  is only working on data plane (recharter needed work on control plane)

- Jun. 2018 - David Black has been assigned as the transport advisor to
  the IETF DetNet WG.

- Jun. 2018 - draft-ietf-detnet-problem-statement finished WG Last Call.

- Nov. 2018 - IETF Last Call has finished for:
  The Last Call comments are being resolved.

- Nov.2018 - Progress on reservation related documents in 802.1 WG:
  -- 802.1CS, Link-local Registration Protocol, is in TG ballot
  -- 802.1Qdd, Resource Allocation Protocol, has an approved PAR
  -- 802.1DC, Quality of Service Provision by Network Systems,
     describes the QoS solutions specified in 802.1Q, is in TG ballot
  -- 802.1CBdb, FRER Extended Stream Identification Functions
  -- 802.1CB specifies reliability that is also used in DetNet
  -- 802.1Qcr, Bridges and Bridged Networks Amendment: Asynchronous
     Traffic Shaping, a new solution to bounded low latency without
     time synchronization, is in WG ballot.

- Nov. 2018: Joint workshop in Bangkok on 10 Nov 2018.

25.2. Relevant Documents

25.3. Owners: Deborah Brungard, Norm Finn

25.4. Action Items

- Ensure that relevant documents are circulated between IEEE 802.1 and
  DetNet at balloting and Last Call milestones


27. Development of YANG models in the IEEE 802

27.1. Description
- Following the IESG statement in 2014 and the IETF YANG tutorial at the
July 2014 IEEE 802 plenary, the IEEE 802.1 started to discuss the
introduction of YANG modules, which may result soon in a IEEE 802.1
project. Other IEEE 802 WGs may follow the same path. The IETF and IEEE
will work to support the formation of YANG expertise in the IEEE 802.

- June 2015: PAR and CSD proposals for two projects were submitted:
  802.1Qcl Amendment, YANG Data Model (for IEEE 802.1Q); and
  802.1Xck Amendment, YANG Data Model (for IEEE 802.1X)

- July 2015: PAR and CSD approved by EC, sent to NesComm

- July 2015: use of GitHub for all YANG modules (including IEEE 802)
  discussed by Glenn Parsons with Benoit Claise and YANG doctors at
  IETF 93; Glenn also discussed the authoring of an I-D (RFC to be) to
  request URN space for the IEEE as per RFC 3406

- IETF draft for IEEE URN, by Mahesh

- September 2015: Two projects approved in IEEE 802.1:
  802.1Qcp - Bridges and Bridged Networks Amendment: YANG Data Model, and
  802.1Xck - Port-Based Network Access Control Amendment: YANG Data Model

- November 2015: Design Team in place for design of YANG modules for IEEE 802.3

- January 2016: considering a CFI at March 2016 plenary in Macau, but the
  actual work in developing YANG code has already been started as DT - the
  main problem right now is the lack of review and feedback

- March 2016: study group formed for YANG modules in IEEE 802.3

- March, May 2016: new drafts for YANG modules in IEEE 802.1, P802.3Qcp in TG

- March, May 2016: issue with VLAN modelling in IEEE YANG models in netmod WG;
  teleconference and face2face discussions at May interim

- liaison sent by the IETF OPS AD to IEEE 802.1, discussed at the IEEE 802.1

- January 2017: Robert Wilton updated the group on the 802.3 Ethernet Interface
  YANG Task Force (802.3cf) and RMON MIB (RFC 3635). The slides are available at
  Robert Wilton asked if there are concerns about the current approach. The
  group suggested that he checks with Benoit Claise and the chairs of the
  NETMOD and CCAMP WGs to for additional feedback.

- March 2017: At the Hackathon a tool was produced for the YANG model catalog.
  The tool shows the dependencies among modules and keeps the metadata.
  Benoit expressed concern that too many YANG models are proprietary.
  Yan Zhuang volunteered to help with for 802.3 YANG modules.  Still need
  volunteer for 802.1.

- May 2017: Thanks to Marc Holness, all IEEE 802.1 YANG modules validate
  The IEEE 802 YANG modules are now in the YANG catalog

- Jun. 2017: Some YANG data models associated with IEEE 802 PAR have errors.

- Oct. 2017: IEEE 802 created YANGsters mail list.

- Oct. 2017: There is a desire for a YANG module for EtherTypes, but the
  IEEE RAC considers this to be standards work, so it belongs in IEEE 802.1.

- Oct. 2017: Please see Network Management Datastore Architecture (NMDA),

- Nov. 2017: A short presentation on YANG EtherType module:

- Jan. 2018: IESG approved draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores

- Feb. 2018: IEEE RAC would like suggestions about the best way to handle
  friendly EtherType names in a YANG module

- Jun. 2018: YANG modules for 802.1Q have been approved as 802-1Qcp.

- Nov. 2018: Operations for will transition to the IETF
  Secretariat in early 2019

- Nov. 2018: IETF is considering a change to the NetMod module.  The goal
  is to simplify the interface, but they want to make sure that the changes
  will not break any other activities.  Please check.

- Nov. 2018: YANG projects in 802.1 WG:
  -- 802.1Qcw: YANG Data Models for Scheduled Traffic, Frame Preemption,
     and Per-Stream Filtering and Policing; in TG ballot
  -- 802.1Qcx: YANG Data Model for Connectivity Fault Management; in WG
  -- 802.1ABcu: LLDP YANG Data Model; now have Editor's draft
  -- 802.1CBcv: FRER YANG Data Model and Management Information Base
     Module; PAR approved, no draft yet

27.2. Relevant Documents
Coordination group for IEEE YANG:
  - web page:
  - mail list:
  - mail list:

27.3. Owners - Benoit Claise, Marc Holness, Scott Mansfield

27.4. Action Items

- IEEE YANG modules are in the, but they need more metadata
- coordinate on VLANs YANG models
- There is a desire for the IEEE RAC to produce a YANG module for EtherTypes


30. Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)

30.1. Description

Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications (V2V) and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I)
communications may involve IEEE 802.11-OCB (Outside the Context of a Basic
Service Set) in the Dedicated short-range communications (DSRC) spectrum.
The IPWAVE WG will specify the use of IPv6 over IEEE 802.11-OCB in a way
that is compatible with the existing IEEE 1609 specifications.

- Sep. 2017: WG Last Call on draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb;
  encourage review and comment from IEEE 802.11 folks

- Feb. 2018: IETF IPWAVE WG is resolving comments from WG Last Call.

- Mar. 2018: IEEE 802.11 is just starting work on Next Gen V2X.  It will
  update the PHY to be more like 802.11n or 802.11ac.  Expect the first
  meeting of the task group in May 2018.

- Nov. 2018: One open issue on draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb about
  neighbor discovery; hopefully it will be resolved by end of 2018.

30.2. Relevant Documents

- Mail list:
- Mail archive:

30.3. Owners: Suresh Krishnan, Dorothy Stanley, Russ Housley

30.4. Action Items

- None at this time


31. Area Name - LPWAN

31.1. Description: IEEE 802.15.4w is was one of the technologies chosen
to be supported in the IETF LPWAN work.  IEEE 802.15.4w-related overview
information is needed in addition to the material that is already in
RFC 8376, which might need to be updated.

- Nov. 2018: Recharter of LPWAN is underway to focus on IEEE 802.15.4,
  which is a shift from the previous direction to focus on WiSUN first.

31.2. Relevant Documents

- Mail list:
- Mail archive:
- Also, a non-WG list of interest:


31.3. Owners: Suresh Krishnan, Pascal Thubert, Dorothy Stanley, Bob Heile

31.4. Action Items

- Exchange information regularly regarding the status of 802.15.4w


32. Area Name
32.1. Description
32.2. Relevant Documents
32.3. Owners
32.4. Action Items


33. Area Name
33.1. Description
33.2. Relevant Documents
33.3. Owners
33.4. Action Items


34. Area Name
34.1. Description
34.2. Relevant Documents
34.3. Owners
34.4. Action Items


1. IETF TRILL Fine-grained labeling and IEEE 802.1 tags -- CLOSED


2. IETF BFD and IEEE 802.1AX -- CLOSED



4. IETF awareness of IEEE 802.1Q-2011 -- CLOSED


6. IETF EMU and IEEE 802.1X, 802.11 and 802.16 security based on EAP -- CLOSED


7. IETF Ethernet MIB, ADSL MIB and IEEE 802.3 -- CLOSED



8. IETF 6LOWPAN and IEEE 802.15 -- CLOSED


9. IETF PAWS WG and 802.11, 802.19, 802.22 -- CLOSED



10. IETF IPPM and LMAP, and IEEE 802.16 Metrology Study Group -- CLOSED


12. IETF HOKEY and IEEE 802.21 -- CLOSED


13. IETF MIF and IEEE 802.21 -- CLOSED


14. IETF IPFIX Information Elements for Data Link monitoring -- CLOSED



15. IETF RADIUS attributes for IEEE 802 networks -- CLOSED



16. IEEE802.1Q SRP (and Gen2 updates) and RSVP/SIP -- CLOSED


17. IEEE 802.1AS/1588 and NTP -- CLOSED


18. 802.1AS/1588, 802.1Q time aware shaper(s) and RTP -- CLOSED


19. Common OAM proposal / Layer Independent OAM -- CLOSED



20. Area Name - use of TRILL as an alternative path selection protocol
for use in 802.11 mesh networks -- CLOSED


22. CAPWAP extensions in OPSAWG -- CLOSED

- - expired


23. Area Name - naming in layer 2 networks -- CLOSED


26. Area Name - IS-IS extensions for IEEE 802.1Qca - CLOSED


28. Area Name - Multicast on IEEE 802 wireless networks -- CLOSED

Tutorial materials used at IETF 97 are available at:


29. Area Name - Opportunistic Wireless Encryption (OWE) -- CLOSED