Skip to main content

2019-10-16: Minutes

Meeting Slides IETF-IEEE (ietfieee) IAB ASG
Title 2019-10-16: Minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

Minutes of the 2019-10-16 IETF-IEEE 802 Coordination Teleconference

1. Welcome, roll call, agenda bashing


Deborah Brungard
Alissa Cooper
Jodi Haasz
Russ Housley
Suresh Krishnan
Roger Marks
Cindy Morgan
Paul Nikolich
Dorothy Stanley
Peter Yee
Juan Carlos Zuniga
2. Action item updates

  - In Progress:

    o Bob Heile to send a short description of 802's LPA project with 
      pointers to Russ Housley for inclusion in the coordination list.
      (Added 2018-06-28)

    o Dorothy Stanley to ask Bob Heile for a status update on 
      (Added 2019-06-18)

  - New:

    o Paul Nikolich to ping Bob Heile to send a short description of 
      802's LPA project to Russ Housley for inclusion in the 
      coordination list.
      (Added 2019-10-16)

    o Paul Nikolich to ping Bob Heile for a status update on 802.15.12.
      (Added 2019-10-16)

    o Dorothy Stanley to find out when 802E will go to sponsor ballot.
      (Added 2019-10-16)

  - Done:

    o Dorothy Stanley and Russ Housley to investigate the need for 
      adding a coordination item on source address validation for 
      (Added 2019-02-20)

   o Russ Housley to contact the IETF Security ADs and ask who will 
      take over ownership of the pervasive monitoring coordination item 
      from Eric Rescorla, who stepped down from the IESG in March 2019.
      (Added 2019-06-18)

   o Janos Farkas to send a liaison on 802E to the IETF Security ADs.
      (Added 2019-06-18)

3. IETF New Work summary

  - Applications and Real-Time

    ABCD - Application Behavior Considering DNS - This BOF proposes and 
    IETF WG that would focus on resolver discover, expression of 
    resolver policy, query routing in the presence of resolver choice, 
    and best current practices for the deployment and operation of 
    encrypted DNS transport.

    WPACK - Web Packaging - This BOF proposes an IETF WG that would 
    define a packaging format for HTTP resources, study and document how 
    origin trust and object-based security affect the security and 
    privacy models of the web, and define a way to sign package 
    contents, and maybe arbitrary HTTP responses, as an origin, and 
    document the risks and mitigations. 

    WEBTRANS - WebTransport - This non-WG-forming BOF is intended to 
    complement previous work on WebSockets.

  - General

    GENDISPATCH - General Area Dispatch - This BOF is a placeholder for 
    a proposed WG that is expected to be chartered by IETF 106. 
    GENDISPATCH will consider proposals for new work in the GEN area.

  - Internet

    TMRID - Trustworthy Multipurpose Remote ID - This non-WG-forming BOF 
    will discuss work proposed to deal with unmanned aircraft systems 
    using the HIP protocol. This work may be of interest to 802.11 and 

  - Operations and Management

    MOPS - Media OPerationS - This BOF is a placeholder for a proposed 
    WG that is expected to be chartered by IETF 106. MOPS will work on 
    delivering media in a widespread way.

  - Routing

    RAW - Reliable and Available Wireless - This BOF proposes an IETF WG 
    that would work on separating the routing time scale at which a 
    complex path is recomputed from the forwarding time scale at which 
    the forwarding decision is taken for an individual packet. RAW 
    operates at the forwarded time scale. The RAW problem is to decide, 
    within the redundant solutions that are proposed by the routing, 
    which will be used for each individual packet to provide a DetNet 
    service while minimizing the waste of resources. A RAW solution 
    would consist of a set of protocols that evaluate the media in real 
    time and another that controls the use of redundancy and diversity 
    attributes that are available along the path. This work may be of 
    interest to 802.1 and 802.15. 

  - Security

    TXAUTH - Transactional Authorization and Delegation - This non-WG-
    forming BOF will discuss the additional needs in delegated 
    authorization protocols, gauge the current thinking on how to 
    address them, and to examine how some current and proposed efforts 
    approach such problems.

    MATHMESH - MatheMatical Mesh - This non-WG-forming BOF will discuss 
    the scope of work to specify Mathemetical Mesh technologies. The 
    Mesh consists of a user-centric PKI and a set of component 
    technologies that are used to build it

    LAKE - Lightweight Authenticated Key Exchange - This BOF is a 
    placeholder for a proposed WG that is expected to be chartered by 
    IETF 106. LAKE will work on solutions for lightweight key exchange 
    mechanism to produce authenticated shared secrets with forward 
    secrecy for use to key the protocol used for bulk data protection.

  - Transport


  - IAB

    RSEME - Community Process for RSE Model Evolution - This session 
    will discuss what process will be used to have the discussion about 
    how to change the RFC Editor Model.

4. 802 New Work summary

  - 802f Amendment: YANG Data Model for EtherTypes, PAR and CSD. This 
    amendment specifies a procedure to generate YANG modules that 
    contain the full EtherType information,including a compact human-
    readable name, found in the IEEE Registration Authority EtherType 
    public listing. This amendment also addresses errors and omissions 
    in the description of existing functionality

  - 802.1AEdk Amendment: MAC Privacy protection, PAR and CSD. This PAR 
    is for an extension to IEEE 802.1AE.

  - 802.1CS Standard - Link-local Registration Protocol, PAR 
    modification and CSD modification. This modification is to overcome 
    the 1500 byte limit in 802.1Q.

  - 802.3ct - Amendment - 100 Gb/s Operation over DWDM systems,  PAR 
    modification and CSD modification
  - 802.3cw - Amendment - 400 Gb/s Operation over DWDM systems, PAR and 
  - 802.3cx - Amendment - Improved Precision Time Protocol (PTP) 
    timestamping accuracy, PAR and CSD

    802.3ct, 802.3cw, and 802.3cx reorganize work that was previously 
    in a single PAR; there is no change to the actual work that is 
    intended to be done.

  - 802.15.7a - Amendment - Defining High Data Rate Optical Camera 
    Communications (OCC), PAR and CSD

  - 802.16t - Amendment - Fixed and Mobile Wireless Access in Channel 
    Bandwidth up to 100 kHz, PAR and CSD. This extension adds new work 
    for IoT applications in wireless. It is likely that this project 
    will eventually land under 802.15.

  Paul Nikolich reported that there is also pre-PAR work in the IEEE 
  802.3 Multi Gigabit Automotive Optical PHY Study Group.

  Dorothy Stanley noted that there is a Topic Interest Group on WLAN 
  sensing in 802.11.

5. Review current coordination items

  - Item 3. IETF NVO3 and IEEE 802.1 DCB

    802.1Qcy was published in June 2019. This coordination item will be 

  - Item 5. Enabling use of Local Addresses for virtualization and IoT 

    Roger Marks will be added to the list of owners for this item.

    Russ Housley reported that draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign is still 
    progressing in the DHC WG. Roger Marks said that the current 
    expectation is that 802.1CQ will be ready to circulate to the IETF 
    by March 2020.

    Suresh Krishnan noted that the DHC WG is planning to meet at IETF 
    106, so it would be good if someone with knowledge about 802.1CQ 
    could attend.

  - Item 21. 6tisch

    Suresh Krishnan reported that there is one Discuss waiting to clear 
    on draft-ietf-6tisch-architecture before it can be approved. He 
    suggested that draft-ietf-6tisch-enrollment-enhanced-beacon be added 
    to the list of relevant documents for this item.

  - Item 24. Coordination between the IETF and IEEE 802 on Pervasive 

    Roman Danyliw is taking this over from Eric Rescorla, since Eric 
    stepped down as SEC AD in March 2019.

    Dorothy Stanley took an action item to find out when 802E will go to 
    sponsor ballot.

  - Item 25. Layer 2/Layer 3 Interaction for Time-Sensitive Traffic

    Deborah Brungard reported that draft-ietf-detnet-architecture is in 
    the RFC Editor Queue and is waiting for the authors to sign off on 
    AUTH48. The framework document has been through WG Last Call, and 
    the solutions document are almost ready for WG Last Call. Deborah 
    will send a pointer to the coordination list when the documents 
    reach IETF Last Call.

  - Item 27. Development of YANG models in the IEEE 802

    Russ Housley will reach out to Scott Mansfield for an update on this 

  - Item 30. Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)

    Russ Housley reported that draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb is 
    currently in the RFC Editor Queue. He asked whether this item can be 
    closed once the RFC is published. Dorothy Stanley replied that IEEE 
    802.11bd is still in progress and is expected to be stable by March 
    2020; if the IPWAVE WG is still open when that happens, this work 
    should be coordinated.

    Dorothy Stanley reported that 802.11 is also actively working with 
    IEEE 1609. An additional reference doc on the status of that work is 
    available at: <

  - Item 31. LPWAN

    Suresh Krishnan reported that the LPWAN WG is currently working on 
    header compression; once that is done, they will start work on the 
    technology-specific items.

  - Item 32. Source Address Validation for Wireless LAN

    Dorothy Stanley reported that draft-bi-savi-wlan was reviewed by the 
    802 Architecture Standing Committee, and they had no comments. She 
    was unsure whether draft-ietf-6lo-ap-nd was also reviewed; she will 
    find out and let Suresh Krishnan know.

  - Item 33. Capability Discovery

    There was no news to highlight on this item.

6. Assess need for breakfast meeting during the 2019 November IETF 
   meeting (Singapore 16-22 November)

  The group agreed that there was no need to meet during IETF 106 in 

7. AOB

  Alissa Cooper asked if the IEEE 802 leadership has had any ongoing 
  discussion about the trade restrictions imposed by the US government. 
  Paul Nikolich replied that the IEEE attorney has been in contact with 
  the Department of Commerce, and advised that as long as the meetings 
  are open, there are no restrictions. Paul and Alissa will discuss this 
  further offline.