Skip to main content

2013-04-17-rsoc-minutes
slides-interim-2022-rfcedprog-03-sessa-2013-04-17-rsoc-minutes-00

Meeting Slides RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) (rfcedprog) IAB ASG
Date and time 2022-01-01 11:00
Title 2013-04-17-rsoc-minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

slides-interim-2022-rfcedprog-03-sessa-2013-04-17-rsoc-minutes-00
RFC SERIES OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE (RSOC)
Minutes of the April 17, 2013 IESG Teleconference

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES 
--------------------------------- 
Bernard Aboba
Fred Baker, RSOC Chair
Nevil Brownlee
Heather Flanagan, RFC Series Editor
Bob Hinden
Ole Jacobsen
John Klensin
Cindy Morgan, Scribe
Ray Pelletier, IAOC Liaison

REGRETS
--------------------------------- 
Joel Halpern
Olaf Kolkman
Alexey Melnikov

MINUTES 
--------------------------------- 

1. Minutes discussion / approval

The minutes of the 13 February 2013 RSOC meeting were approved.  Heather 
Flanagan will send them in to be posted on the IAB website.

2. Administrivia

Heather Flanagan announced that Cindy Morgan from the IETF Secretariat 
will be taking minutes for this and future RSOC meetings.

3. RFC Format

   a. email to the community

The committee reviewed the second draft of the email to be sent to the 
RFC-interest list about the RFC Format.  Heather Flanagan noted that she 
had not received any more comments about the draft text via email.  

   b. FAQ

The committee reviewed comments received on the draft RFC Format FAQ.  
Heather Flanagan noted that she envisions the FAQ as an evolving web 
page, where more information can be added as new questions arise.

Bernard Aboba asked that something be added to address how the FAQ 
reader can get involved in the next steps of the process.

John Klensin noted that the current answer to the question about what 
this means for authors who do not use XML2RFC is evasive about the 
possibility that XML2RFC could become the single acceptable input format 
for the RFC Production Center.  Heather Flanagan replied that the RFC 
Editor would find having a single input format easier, but that it was 
unlikely to happen in reality.

John Klensin noted that the answer to the question about when users can 
start using UTF-8 characters in RFC documents is very context-driven and 
that there should not be any guarantees made.  Heather Flanagan agreed 
to adjust the text accordingly.

John Klensin suggesting adding more details about element changes 
required for XML2RFC; Heather Flanagan agreed to add that text.

The committee briefly discussed whether XML2RFC would become the 
canonical format.  John Klensin noted that if so, the canonical versions 
would have to be scrubbed for public consumption to remove logging of 
internal discussions between the authors and RPC.  Fred Baker suggested 
looking into a tool that could remove all comments on an XML document 
that could be run on the source files before they are made publicly 
available; Heather Flanagan agreed to follow up on that suggestion.

The committee discussed what will happen if an author provides plain 
text rather than XML.  Heather Flanagan noted that the file would have 
to be converted to XML one way or the other.  John Klensin replied that 
subject matter experts might be needed in some cases to ensure that the 
conversion to generic markup gets the formatting and intent correct 
(e.g. ASCII art).  Bob Hinden suggested that any issues arising from 
this could be caught in AUTH48, but John replied that that assumes all 
authors review carefully during AUTH48, which cannot be guaranteed.  
Heather concluded that there was not anything to change regarding this 
in the FAQ at this time, but that the issue should be considered in the 
future for any long-term ramifications.

The committee discussed the question of whether previously-published 
RFCs would be re-published in the new format.  John Klensin suggested 
that if older RFCs are not re-published in the new format, then meta-
data should be added to the indexes to indicate what tools are needed to 
view each document.  Heather Flanagan agreed that that was a reasonable 
plan.

Heather Flanagan agreed to make the text changes discussed during the 
meeting and send the updated FAQ out to the committee for final 
comments.  She asked that committee members explicitly state if they 
have no comments on the text, as in this case she does not want to 
assume that silence means consent.

   c. SOW

Heather Flanagan reported that the Statement of Work was discussed with 
the Tools Team, as well as with Sandy Ginoza and Alice Russo from the 
RFC Production Center.  Heather asked if the RSOC needs to do a final 
review of the SOW before it is sent to the IAOC; the committee replied 
that they would like to see the text before it is sent out.

Ray Pelletier noted that the tentative timeline expects the SOW to be 
approved as an RFP sometime in July 2013, with the earliest possible 
specifications for the development of the tool being delivered in Q4 
2013.

4. RSOC

   a. Procedures update

Fred Baker asked the committee to review the draft RSOC procedures sent 
by John Klensin and to provide feedback on the mailing list.  Fred 
agreed to take the pen from John and draft the next revision based on 
the feedback received.

Heather Flanagan asked the committee for feedback on Joel Halpern's 
proposed text for a Call for Nominations for the RSOC.  Ole Jacobsen 
noted that the announcement should probably include a list of the 
current ROSC members; Heather agreed to pass that feedback on to Joel.

Fred Baker noted that the current plan is to have the new and old RSOC 
meet together at IETF 87 in Berlin and complete the transition then.  
Fred noted that the RFC Format FAQ, the SOW, and the review of the RSE 
are all tasks to be completed by the current RSOC.

5. Upcoming meetings

Heather Flanagan announced that she plans to attends four upcoming meetings:

   a. IESG retreat (May 2013)
   b. IAB retreat (May 2013)
   c. REFEDs meeting (June 2013)
   d. IETF 87 (July 2013)

Bernard Aboba noted that the IESG and IAB retreats will have one day of 
joint meetings on 8 May, and that topics related to the RSE could likely 
be scheduled on that joint day.  Heather said that she expects the RSE-
related topics to include the RFC Format discussion and possible new RFC 
streams.
 
6. AOB

   a. New Stream

Nevil Brownlee thanked the committee for their feedback on his email 
about new RFC Streams, noting that any new streams should still focus on 
internet-related things, as the RFC Editor is not a general publishing 
house.