Skip to main content

2013-07-27-rsoc-minutes
slides-interim-2022-rfcedprog-03-sessa-2013-07-27-rsoc-minutes-00

Meeting Slides RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) (rfcedprog) IAB ASG
Date and time 2022-01-01 11:00
Title 2013-07-27-rsoc-minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

slides-interim-2022-rfcedprog-03-sessa-2013-07-27-rsoc-minutes-00
DRAFT*DRAFT*DRAFT*DRAFT*DRAFT*DRAFT*
RFC SERIES OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE (RSOC)
Minutes of the July 27, 2013 RSOC Retreat

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

ATTENDEES 
--------------------------------- 
- Bernard Aboba
- Fred Baker, outgoing RSOC Chair
- Nevil Brownlee
- Heather Flanagan, RFC Series Editor
- Joel Halpern
- Tony Hansen, incoming RSOC
- Joe Hildebrand, incoming RSOC
- Bob Hinden
- Russ Housley, IAB Chair
- Ole Jacobsen, outgoing RSOC
- John Klensin, outgoing RSOC (via remote)
- Alexey Melnikov, incoming RSOC Chair
- Cindy Morgan, Scribe
- Ray Pelletier, IAOC Liaison

REGRETS
--------------------------------- 
- Olaf Kolkman, outgoing RSOC

NOTES 
--------------------------------- 

1.  RSE Performance Evaluation 

  The RSOC discussed the RSE annual performance review in Executive 
  Session.

2. RSOC administrivia

2.1. Chair election

  Alexey Melnikov was elected as the new RSOC chair.  The committee 
  thanked Fred Baker for his service as chair.

2.2. Calendar bash

  The committee agreed to continue meeting on the second Wednesday of 
  the month, from 1100-1200 Pacific time.

  The committee agreed to hold a lunch meeting on Thursdays during IETF 
  meeting weeks, except in cases where an RSOC retreat was held 
  immediately prior to the IETF meeting.

3. Discussion of active and upcoming project list and associated 
  priorities

3.1. First Tier Projects

  Heather Flanagan defined first tier projects as those that are 
  actively being worked on to move forward.  First tier projects 
  include:

  - RFC Format
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=rfcformat

    The next step on the RFC Format update is to set up a design team to 
    define the goals so that the specifications can be written and work 
    can be contracted for the changes to XML2RFC and other tools.  The 
    committee discussed potential participants in the design team; 
    Heather Flanagan will follow up and invite them to join the design 
    team.

    The current timeline is:

    Design team: August 2013 - November 2013
    Specifications: December 2013 - March 2014
    Coding and testing: March 2014 - December 2014

  - Review of RFC Publisher function
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=rfcpublisher

    Heather Flanagan reported that work on upgrading/splitting the RFCP 
    server is in progress, but scheduled behind upgrades to the IETF 
    servers.  The current goal is to complete the work by November 2013.

  - Style Manual RFC & Website
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=stylemanualrfc
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=stylemanualweb

    Heather Flanagan is working on a diff between the current and 
    revised style guides.  The changes will be discussed with the RSAG 
    and the community, and then a report will be created for the RSOC on 
    the long-term implications of the Style Guide modifications.

    The current goal is to finish the discussions by the end of this 
    year and have the detailed review with RSOC at the beginning of 
    2014, with the Style Manual RFC published by the end of Q1 2014.

  - RFC Editor website
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=website

    Heather Flanagan reported that the RFC Production Center does not 
    like the current RFC Editor website.  The RSOC briefly discussed
    hiring outside contractors to work on the RFC Editor website.  The 
    RSOC agreed to table the discussion until after IETF 88 to see if 
    any progress has been made by the RFC Production Center on the 
    website in the meantime.

3.2. Second Tier Projects

  Second Tier projects were defined as medium priority, pending 
  available resources.  Second tier projects include:

  - New Stream possibilities
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=newstream

    The RSOC agreed to the following proposal:

    1. When one of those organizations [that has requested a new stream]
       makes an Independent Submission, it would be in the form of an 
       Internet Draft, with a paragraph in its introduction clearly 
       stating how it was developed, how it was reviewed, and how strong 
       a consensus it achieved.
    2. The ISE would review it (like any other submission), and possibly 
       get some reviews from the IETF community so as to check that it 
       clearly was of interest to the Internet Community, i.e. the 
       readers and users of RFCs.
    3. When satisfied that the draft is suitable for publishing, the ISE 
       could ask the ISEB to see whether any of them object to its being 
       published because it did not seem to be of interest to our 
       community.
    4. After that the document would go to IESG for its 5742 review, 
       then - after any final improvements - it would be published.

    Heather Flanagan noted that several people from REFEDS will be at 
    IETF 87, and she will make the appropriate introductions.  

  - Statistics and Metrics

    The RSOC reviewed a list of metrics gathered and reported by the RFC 
    Editor.  Heather Flanagan noted that the reports are currently 
    generated manually.  Joe Hildebrand volunteered to look into ways 
    these reports could be automated.  Bob Hinden noted that he would 
    like to see a report that tracks the SLAs.  Heather asked the 
    committee to think about other reports they would like to see, and 
    noted that this topic will be on the agenda for the next IAB 
    teleconference (August 14, 2013).

  - Digital Object Identifier (DOI) Assignment 

    Heather Flanagan reported that having DOIs (ISO 26324) associated 
    with published RFCs is of particular interest to the IRTF, as 
    documents without a DOI often do not count towards a researcher's 
    publication count when it comes to tenure.  Approximately 10% of 
    RFCs indicate a college or university for the authors' organization.  
    There is a cost per DOI issued, and the DOI would need to be 
    annotated in the document's text.  The RSOC agreed that those who 
    are interested in adding DOI assignments to RFCs should write an 
    Internet-Draft with a proposal for the RSOC to review.

  - Errata Process Review

    Heather Flanagan noted that the process for dealing with errata 
    processing is up to the Streams.

3.3. Third Tier Projects

  Third tier projects are all pending resources, and include:

  - Acronym review

    Heather Flanagan noted that this is the list of acronyms that do not 
    have to be expanded in text.  Russ Housley noted that this relates 
    to the Style Manual.  John Klensin suggested that publishing a 
    glossary for the RFC Series could help, but that the issue is 
    complex.  Heather Flanagan said that she is hesitant to have the RFC 
    Editor be the arbiter  or which acronyms do not need to be expanded 
    in text.

  - Archival policy review

  - AUTH48 process review

  - Scholarly indexing

  - Short-lived references

  - RFC10K 

    The RSOC briefly discussed whether RFCs are hard-coded as being 4 
    digits or not.  They concluded that while some tools may have RFCs 
    coded as being 4 digits, the RFC Editor database does not.  A high-
    numbered RFC will be published as a test that can be retracted if 
    necessary.

  - RFCxx99 and xx00 retirement

    Russ Housley volunteered to write an Internet-Draft retiring the 
    RFCxx99 and xx00 series.

4. RSE goal setting for the year 

  Based on the previous discussion, the RSOC reorganized the priorities 
  of their ongoing projects as follows:

  Tier 1:
  - RFC Format
  - Review of RFC Publisher function
  - Style Manual RFC & Website
  - RFC Editor website

  Tier 2:
  - Statistics and Metrics
  - Errata process review
  - RFCxx99 and xx00 retirement

  Tier 3:
  - Acronym review
  - Archival policy review
  - AUTH48 process review
  - Scholarly indexing
  - Short-lived references
  - RFC10K 
  - DOI assignment
  - Citation library (new)

  Completed Projects
  - New Stream possibilities


5. RPC and Publisher SoW review 

  The RSOC reviewed the RPC and Publisher Statement of Work.

6. IETF 87 Highlights 

  Heather Flanagan noted that the RSE and RSOC report will be delivered 
  during the Technical Plenary on Monday at IETF 87.

  The IESG held an RFC-writing workshop on July 27, 2013, run by Joel 
  Jaeggli and Ted Lemon.  Three sets of authors signed up to attend.  
  Sandy Ginoza from the RFC Production Center also attended to provide 
  guidance.  If the workshop is successful, it may be repeated in the 
  future.

  Sandy Ginoza, Heather Flanagan, and Alice Russo are meeting with Peter 
  Saint-Andre to get a brief tutorial on UTF-8 so that in preparation 
  for a possible more formal tutorial on UTF-8 at IETF 88 in Vancouver.