Skip to main content


Meeting Slides RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) (rfcedprog) IAB ASG
Date and time 2022-01-01 14:00
Title 2016-02-10-rsoc-minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

February 10, 2016 RSOC Meeting

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat

- Sarah Banks (Chair)
- Nevil Brownlee
- Heather Flanagan (RSE, non-voting)
- Joel Halpern
- Tony Hansen 
- Joe Hildebrand
- Bob Hinden
- Alexey Melnikov
- Cindy Morgan (Scribe, non-voting)
- Ray Pelletier (IAOC Liaison, non-voting)
- Robert Sparks (Lead)

0. Review of minutes

  The minutes of 13 January 2016 meeting were approved.

1. Agenda bash

  Items on draft-iab-rfc5741bis and the RPC annual evaluation for 2015 
  were added to the agenda.

2. RFC Format

2.1. Status of the documents

  Heather Flanagan reported that the IAB has approved the RFC Format 
  Drafts for community review pending Dave Thaler's review of a soon-to-
  be-posted revision of draft-iab-rfcv3-preptool. 

2.2. request for a process "tutorial" at IETF 95

  Heather Flanagan reported that she has received a request to have some 
  kind of Sunday training session on the new formats at IETF 95. Heather 
  said that she is hesitant to do this, as there is not any real code to 
  demonstrate yet, and the format documents will have just finished 
  their community comment period.

  After discussion, the RSOC concluded that depending on the early 
  response to the community review of the format drafts, an RFC Format 
  session at IETF 95 might be helpful. Cindy Morgan noted that the 
  deadline for scheduling requests is 19 February 2016, and that it 
  would be easier to schedule the session if the request was made before 
  that deadline. The session can be cancelled if it is deemed 
  unnecessary, but trying to add it in later would make managing the 
  conflicts more difficult.  

  Robert Sparks suggested that posters could also be used for additional 
  outreach. Heather Flanagan will follow up with Greg Wood about that.

3. Autonomy of the RFC Editor

  Heather Flanagan asked how separate the RFC Editor tools and database 
  should be from the IETF. She observed that from an efficiency 
  perspective, utilizing as much of the IETF Datatracker as possible in 
  the RFC Editor infrastructure seems to make sense; however, from an 
  autonomy perspective, however, this blends the RFC Series even more 
  tightly in with the IETF tools and processes. Joel Halpern replied 
  that the RFC Editor has already said that the preferred way to submit 
  documents to any stream is to use an Internet-Draft (i.e., and IETF 

  Robert Sparks noted that there are several day-to-day internal pieces 
  that the RFC Editor maintains that do not need to be part of the 
  Datatracker. However, other pieces, such as current author 
  information, are already in place in the Datatracker. In cases where 
  the mechanisms are already in place in the Datatracker, Robert 
  suggested using the Datatracker rather than maintaining two parallel 

  After the discussion, the RSOC concluded that the RFC Editor should 
  use the Datatracker where it is sensible to do so, and keep the rest 

4. Other projects

4.1. Stats & Metrics

  Heather Flanagan reported that she and representatives from the RPC 
  had met with John Levine to point him to the new reports and make sure 
  that he has everything he needs to move forward with the stats and 
  metrics project. John will reach out to Robert Sparks to ensure that 
  his Django design matches what is done in the Datatracker.

4.2. Digital Preservation

  Heather Flanagan reported that there were no updates on the digital 
  preservation project, as that has taken a back burner in the recent 
  weeks in favor of managing the format drafts.

5. 5741bis

  Robert Sparks reported that the IAB has approved draft-iab-rfc5741bis, 
  and that he has taken an action to set up the web page that is called 
  out in the document. The RSOC agreed that the page should be set up on

6. RPC Annual Evaluation 

  Noting that the RPC contract had gone out to bid in 2015, Heather 
  Flanagan asked the RSOC if there was need to do a 2015 annual 
  evaluation for the RPC. The RSOC agreed that it did not seem 
  necessary. Heather will check the relevant RFC to see if there is a 
  requirement there.

7. Exec Session - RSE job description

  The RSE job description was discussed in an executive session.