Skip to main content


Meeting Slides RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) (rfcedprog) IAB ASG
Date and time 2022-01-01 14:00
Title 2016-10-12-rsoc-minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

October 12, 2016 RSOC Meeting

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat


Sarah Banks (Chair)
Nevil Brownlee
Heather Flanagan (RSE, non-voting)
Tony Hansen 
Joe Hildebrand
Cindy Morgan (Scribe, non-voting)
Ray Pelletier (IAOC Liaison, non-voting)
Adam Roach
Robert Sparks (Lead)


Joel Halpern
Bob Hinden


0. Review of minutes

  The minutes of the 21 July 2016 RSOC meeting were approved.

1. Agenda bash

  No new items were added to the agenda.

2. RPC Editor status (improving communications)

  Heather Flanagan updated the RSOC on a recent miscommunication with 
  the RPC about a request for an additional editor. The issue has 
  already been resolved, but the RSOC discussed ways that communication 
  could be improved the next time this comes up.

  Robert Sparks noted that the RPC will need to explicit about what they 
  think they will need in 2018 when the new format is implemented. 
  Heather Flanagan replied that right now, it is not clear what will be 
  needed; the RSOC will need to have a serious conversation about this 
  once the new tools are in use.

  Tony Hansen suggested that Heather Flanagan go back to the RPC and 
  talk to them about wording their request differently next year so that 
  it is more explicit.

3. Project status

3.1. Format 

  Heather Flanagan reported that the CSS RFP was awarded to Spherical 
  Cow Group; in order to prevent a conflict of interest from Heather, 
  Robert Sparks will act as the project manager for that project.

  The RFC Format Tools RFP has gone out to bid, but no queries have been 
  received yet. Heather Flanagan will share more information about this 
  with the RSOC as it becomes available.

3.2. Digital Preservation 

  Heather Flanagan reported that she had wanted to do a press release 
  announcing that the RFC Series will now be archived by the Royal 
  Library of Sweden, however there have been some concerns, as the RFC 
  Editor has not traditionally sent out press releases. 

  The RSOC will continue to discuss this on the mailing list, but the 
  current plan is that Heather Flanagan will send out a notice to the 
  RFC Interest list that a press release will be coming, either issued 
  by the Royal Library of Sweden, or by the Royal Library of Sweden and 
  ISOC on behalf of the RFC Editor.

3.3. Digital Signatures

  Heather Flanagan reported that they are learning that digitally 
  signing RFCs is not as simple as signing Internet-Drafts. Discussions 
  on how to handle the gaps are continuing on the mailing list. Heather 
  is planning to meet with Russ Housley and Robert Sparks during IETF 97 
  to go over some of the issues. Adam Roach volunteered to sit in on 
  that meeting as well.

4. W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group

  Heather Flanagan reported that W3C is considering combining with the 
  International Digital Publisher Forum. W3C is trying to make serious 
  inroads into making the Web a better platform for publishers, and the 
  Digital Publishing Interest Group is at the center of much of that 
  work. Heather will continue to participate in the group as an Invited 

5. CrossRef display rule changes

  Heather Flanagan reported that CrossRef is changing their rules about 
  how DOIs are displayed. This means that in RFC citations, instead of 
  just having the DOI identifier, there will need to be a full URL.

  By March 2017, this will need to be changed on the RFC info pages and 
  changed for future RFC reference lists. The current options are:

  - Use two URIs in the citation: 
    1) URL for the DOI, which immediately redirects to the RFC info page
    2) URL for the RFC info page directly
  - Use only the URL that points to the DOI

  Joe Hildebrand expressed concern about linking to other publications 
  in RFCs. The RSOC was unhappy with this change, and asked whether DOIs 
  are important enough to put up with this. Heather Flanagan replied 
  that that is a bigger conversation that will need to include the IRTF.

  Adam Roach suggested that there may be other companies that issue DOIs 
  that have rules the RSOC would find more amenable. Heather Flanagan 
  replied that DOI issuers tend to be very sector-specific. Adam 
  suggested that mEDRA (the multilingual European Registration Agency of 
  DOI) <> may be worth looking into; Heather agreed 
  to make an inquiry.

  Heather Flanagan will come up with some examples of what the CrossRef 
  change would look like and start a conversation with the stream 
  managers before starting a wider discussion on the topic on the RFC 
  Interest list.

6. Plans for IETF 97

  Heather Flanagan reported that she is not planning to hold a session 
  on the new format at IETF 97; she will wait on that until there is 
  running code to start testing. She hopes to have some bids in for the 
  format tools by IETF 97.

  Heather Flanagan will send a poll out to the RSOC to select the time 
  for their meeting at IETF 97. If no time works for everyone, Thursday 
  lunch will be the fallback plan.

7. AOB