|Meeting Slides||RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) (rfcedprog) IAB ASG Snapshot|
|Date and time||2022-01-01 19:00|
|Other versions||plain text|
RFC SERIES OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE (RSOC) February 23, 2021 RSOC Meeting Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat ATTENDEES --------------------------------- Jay Daley (IETF LLC Board Liaison, non-voting) Tony Hansen Cullen Jennings (IAB Lead) John Levine, (Temporary RFC Series Project Manager, non-voting) Cindy Morgan (Scribe, non-voting) Mark Nottingham Peter Saint-Andre (RSOC Chair) GUEST --------------------------------- Sandy Ginoza (RFC Production Center) REGRETS --------------------------------- Sarah Banks Adam Roach RSOC DECISIONS: 2021 --------------------------------- - 2020 Decisions: <https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2021/01/rsoc-decisions-2020.txt> - 2019 Decisions: <https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2020/01/rsoc-decisions-2019.txt> ACTION ITEM REVIEW --------------------------------- Done: - 2020-12-14: John Levine to send a message to the community asking for input on how to handle version control for RFC output formats that have been regenerated. OBE: - 2020-12-14: Sarah Banks to forward Heather Flanagan's previous RPC review to the RSOC. In Progress: - 2020-09-21: Jay Daley, John Levine, Henrik Levkowetz, Peter Saint- Andre, and Robert Sparks to work with Sandy Ginoza to propose a minimum profile of v3 XML tags that the RPC would add before publication of an RFC if they were not included by the authors. * Deadline: 2021-04 - 2021-01-26: John Levine to start a discussion with the community about whether the XML of an RFC can be changed as long as the text remains immutable. * Deadline: 2021-03 - 2021-01-26: Jay Daley and John Levine will work with the RPC to propose changes to the boilerplate AUTH48 message that is sent to authors and to the text on the RFC Editor site, in order to clarify that this is approval stage and what needs to be approved. * Deadline: 2021-03 MINUTES --------------------------------- 1. Administrivia The minutes of the 2021-01-26 RSOC meeting were approved. 2. v3 Issues and Tools John Levine reported that there had been very little response to the blog post <https://www.ietf.org/blog/rfc-v3-xml-issues/> that outlined the open issues with v3 XML in RFCs. He said that he expects to get more feedback when the discussions turns to the immutability of the XML in RFCs. 3. RFC XML and Style Guide change management team Peter Saint-Andre reported that the RFC XML and Style Guide change management team has been working through the open issues in GitHub (https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues). Eventually, these changes will be reflected in RFC7991bis. Peter said that he expects it to take another month or two before all of the issues in GitHub can be closed and they have a proposal for a minimum profile of v3 XML tags that the RPC would add before publication of an RFC if they were not included by the authors. Mark Nottingham noted that the problem is that the semantics aren't well-defined and the vocabulary is so large that people can't remember what it contains, and so the most appropriate tags are not always the ones that are used. Peter Saint-Andre agreed, saying that better guidance in the relevant documentation could help with that. John Levine said that he plans to go through the published RFCs and see if there are tags that have never been used. Mark Nottingham requested that the RSOC and the RFC XML and Style Guide change management team continue to operate as openly as possible. Peter Saint-Andre suggested that he could send a monthly update to the RFC-interest list. John Levine has an open action to start a discussion with the community about whether the XML of an RFC can be changed as long as the text remains immutable. He said that he will draft text and send it to the RSOC and the RFC XML and Style Guide change management team for review before he sends it out to the community. Jay Daley said that it would be helpful if the message to the community includes specific examples and concrete data about how often certain tags are used. 4. RPC Review John Levine reported that he got a copy of the RPC's 2019 review from Heather Flanagan. The 2020 review is currently underway. 5. AUTH48 Process Jay Daley reported that he and John Levine met with the RPC last week to discuss changes to the boilerplate AUTH48 message that is sent to authors and to the text on the RFC Editor site, in order to clarify that this is the approval stage and what needs to be approved. They have another meeting scheduled for 2021-02-24 to finish this up. 6. Rfc-interest List Moderation A question was raised about who moderates the rfc-interest list. At the request of the IAB, the list is moderated by John Levine. 7. Next RSOC Meeting The next RSOC meeting is scheduled for Monday, 2021-03-15 at 2300 UTC. Mark Nottingham noted that this was his final RSOC meeting, since he will step down from the IAB at the end of IETF 110. The RSOC thanked Mark for his service. 8. Executive Session: Temporary RFC Series Project Manager Contract The RSOC discussed the Temporary RFC Series Project Manager Contract in an executive session.