Skip to main content

2021-04-19-rsoc-minutes
slides-interim-2022-rfcedprog-11-sessa-2021-04-19-rsoc-minutes-00

Meeting Slides RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) (rfcedprog) IAB ASG
Title 2021-04-19-rsoc-minutes
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2022-06-10

slides-interim-2022-rfcedprog-11-sessa-2021-04-19-rsoc-minutes-00
RFC SERIES OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE (RSOC)
April 19, 2021 RSOC Meeting

Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat


ATTENDEES
---------------------------------
- Sarah Banks 
- Jay Daley (IETF LLC Board Liaison, non-voting)
- Tony Hansen 
- Cullen Jennings (IAB Lead)
- John Levine, (Temporary RFC Series Project Manager, non-voting)
- Cindy Morgan (Scribe, non-voting)
- Adam Roach
- David Schinazi 
- Peter Saint-Andre (RSOC Chair) 

GUEST
---------------------------------
- Sandy Ginoza (RFC Production Center) - present for items 1-5 only


RSOC DECISIONS: 2021
---------------------------------
  - 2020 Decisions: 
<https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2021/01/rsoc-decisions-2020.txt>

  - 2019 Decisions: 
<https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2020/01/rsoc-decisions-2019.txt>


ACTION ITEM REVIEW
---------------------------------

  Done: 

  - 2021-03-15: All RSOC to review John Levine's text on "Updating the 
    XML in RFCs" and provide feedback.

  In Progress:

  - 2020-09-21: Jay Daley, John Levine, Henrik Levkowetz, Peter Saint-
    Andre, and Robert Sparks to work with Sandy Ginoza to propose a 
    minimum profile of v3 XML tags that the RPC would add before 
    publication of an RFC if they were not included by the authors.
    * Deadline: 2021-05

  - 2021-01-26: John Levine to start a discussion with the community 
    about whether the XML of an RFC can be changed as long as the text 
    remains immutable.
    * Deadline: 2021-06

  - 2021-03-15: John Levine and Jay Daley to draft a statement of work 
    for the RPC contract.

  - 2021-03-15: John Levine and Peter Saint-Andre to discuss the 
    prioritization and time commitment needed to put together an end-to-
    end analysis to ensure that v3 XML can be used effectively and 
    seamlessly at all stages of the authoring process (Recommendation 
    8), and report back to the RSOC.
    * Deadline 2021-05

  New:

  - 2021-04-19: Peter Saint-Andre to start a thread on the RSOC list 
    about updating the list of "Current Activities" on the RSOC web 
    page.
    * Deadline: 2021-05

  - 2021-04-19: Jay Daley and Peter Saint-Andre to draft a proposal 
    on extending the current RPC contract and send it to the IAB and LLC 
    for review before potentially sending it out to the community for 
    comments.
    * Deadline: 2021-05


MINUTES
---------------------------------

1. Administrivia

  The minutes of the 2021-03-15 RSOC meeting were approved. 


2. v3 Issues and Tools

  John Levine reported that he received a few comments on the text about 
  "Updating the XML in RFCs." The RSOC agreed that this was ready to 
  send out.

  John Levine said that he is waiting to start a discussion with the 
  community about whether the XML of an RFC can be changed as long as 
  the text remains immutable until after the RFC XML and Style Guide 
  change management team settles on the minimum set of XML tags to be 
  added by the RPC.


3. RFC XML and Style Guide change management team

  Peter Saint-Andre reported that the RFC XML and Style Guide change 
  management team is making slow but steady progress to close issues in 
  GitHub. He estimated that it will take another 4-6 weeks to work 
  through the remaining backlog.

  The team is continuing to work with the RPC to propose a minimum 
  profile of v3 XML tags that the RPC would add before publication of an 
  RFC if they were not included by the authors.


4. Recommendations Following From the I-D Authors Survey

  * Recommendation 8:  An end-to-end analysis is carried out to ensure 
    that v3 XML can be used effectively and seamlessly at all stages of 
    the authoring process.

  Peter Saint-Andre reported that he and John Levine still need to get 
  together to discuss the prioritization and time commitment needed to 
  put together an end-to-end analysis to ensure that v3 XML can be used 
  effectively and seamlessly at all stages of the authoring process 
  (Recommendation 8), and report back to the RSOC.

  * Recommendation 5:  The process by which authors review RPC changes 
    should be examined with a view towards understanding what tooling is 
    required if this process is to use XML and not plain text as the 
    common format.

  * Recommendation 9:  A significant minority want to use Markdown or 
    similar and a strategic decision is needed on whether or not this 
    should be "officially" supported either in some stages or in the 
    full end-to-end authoring process. 

  Jay Daley reported that he has started an initial conversation with 
  the IETF Tools Architecture and Strategy Team about Recommendation 5 
  and Recommendation 9.


5. Current Activities on RSOC Web Page

  Peter Saint-Andre noted that the list of "Current Activities" on the 
  RSOC web page is out of date. 

  * Action item: Peter Saint-Andre to start a thread on the RSOC list 
    about updating the list of "Current Activities" on the RSOC web 
    page.
    - Deadline: 2021-05


6. RPC SOW

  The current contract with the RFC Production Center began with a two-
  year initial term in January 2016 and allowed for up to 4 additional 
  years in consecutive two-year renewal terms. The end of the renewal 
  term is December 31, 2021. 

  In light of the ongoing discussions in the RFC Editor Future 
  Development Program about the future of the RFC Editor model, the RSOC 
  discussed whether to extend the current RPC contract for one 
  additional year rather than go through an RFP process. Extending the 
  current contract would hopefully allow the RFC Editor Future 
  Development Program to finish its work and for a new RFC Series 
  Editor/Advisor to be named before starting an RFP for the RFC 
  Production Center.

  * Action item: Jay Daley and Peter Saint-Andre to draft a proposal 
    on extending the current RPC contract and send it to the IAB and LLC 
    for review before potentially sending it out to the community for 
    comments.


7. Next RSOC Meeting

  The next RSOC meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 17 at 4:00 PM PDT.