|Meeting Slides||RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) (rfcedprog) IAB ASG|
|Other versions||plain text|
RFC SERIES OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE (RSOC) July 19, 2021 RSOC Meeting Reported by: Cindy Morgan, IETF Secretariat ATTENDEES --------------------------------- Sarah Banks Jay Daley (IETF LLC Board Liaison, non-voting) Tony Hansen John Levine, (Temporary RFC Series Project Manager, non-voting) Cindy Morgan (Scribe, non-voting) Adam Roach David Schinazi Peter Saint-Andre (RSOC Chair) GUEST --------------------------------- Sandy Ginoza (RFC Production Center) REGRETS --------------------------------- Cullen Jennings (IAB Lead) RSOC DECISIONS: 2021 --------------------------------- - 2020 Decisions: <https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2021/01/rsoc-decisions-2020.txt> - 2019 Decisions: <https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2020/01/rsoc-decisions-2019.txt> ACTION ITEM REVIEW --------------------------------- - 2020-09-21: Jay Daley, John Levine, Henrik Levkowetz, Peter Saint- Andre, and Robert Sparks to work with Sandy Ginoza to propose a minimum profile of v3 XML tags that the RPC would add before publication of an RFC if they were not included by the authors. * Deadline: 2021-08 - 2021-01-26: John Levine to start a discussion with the community about whether the XML of an RFC can be changed as long as the text remains immutable. (NOTE: Depends on action item for "RFC XML and Style Guide change management team," above.) * Deadline: 2021-08 - 2021-03-15: John Levine and Peter Saint-Andre to discuss the prioritization and time commitment needed to put together an end-to- end analysis to ensure that v3 XML can be used effectively and seamlessly at all stages of the authoring process (Recommendation 8), and report back to the RSOC. * Deadline 2021-08 - 2021-05-17: Peter Saint-Andre, Jay Daley, and John Levine to chat with the RPC and recent authors about their perspectives on the GitHub experiment, and report back to RSOC. * Deadline: 2021-08 MINUTES --------------------------------- 1. Administrivia The minutes of the 2021-06-21 RSOC meeting were approved. 2. RFC XML and Style Guide change management team Peter Saint-Andre reported that the RFC XML and Style Guide change management team is making progress to close issues in GitHub and expects to be through the backlog by their next meeting. The next steps are to work with the RPC to propose a minimum profile of v3 XML tags that the RPC would add before publication of an RFC if they were not included by the authors, and to update RFC 7991. Jay Daley reminded the RSOC that the reason for defining a minimum profile of v3 XML tags to be added by the RPC was to cut down on the time and costs for the RPC to edit documents. Sandy Ginoza said that having better guidance for authors about how to use v3 and take advantage of the functionality there would also help cut down on the time and cost for editing RFCs. 3. v3 Issues and Tools Peter Saint-Andre said that there was nothing new to report here, since the open action for John Levine to start a discussion with the community about whether the XML of an RFC can be changed as long as the text remains immutable depends on the outcome of the work of the RFC XML and Style Guide change management team. 4. Recommendations Following From the I-D Authors Survey Recommendation 5: The process by which authors review RPC changes should be examined with a view towards understanding what tooling is required if this process is to use XML and not plain text as the common format. Recommendation 8: An end-to-end analysis is carried out to ensure that v3 XML can be used effectively and seamlessly at all stages of the authoring process. Recommendation 9: A significant minority want to use Markdown or similar and a strategic decision is needed on whether or not this should be "officially" supported either in some stages or in the full end-to-end authoring process. (see also Q20) Peter Saint-Andre reported that there is an early draft of a spreadsheet listing the various tools that authors use, but that it still needs more work. Jay Daley said that he expects to be able to devote more time to that after IETF 111. Peter Saint-Andre noted that Alice Russo provided some information from the RPC about the most recent GitHub experiment, and that he plans to review that to see if there is useful information for RSOC there. John Levine reported that Martin Thomson recently published a new GitHub template that will be helpful for authors who submit drafts via GitHub. (Template: https://github.com/martinthomson/i-d-template/blob/ main/doc/TEMPLATE.md) 5. AOB Peter Saint-Andre reported that with the bulk of the work of the RFC XML and Style Guide change management team completed, Henrik Levkowetz is planning to step back from contributing. The team may discuss adding other people in the future. John Levine added that as the team works on RFC 7991bis, it plans to run the suggested changes by the rfc-interest list for feedback. John Levine noted that the team may want to look at other things in the future, such as updating the SVG profile. Tony Hansen asked if any documents besides RFC 7991 need updating. John Levine replied that 7991 was the most urgent, but that they should also look at the other format documents, particularly RFC 7992, "HTML Format for RFCs." 6. Next RSOC Meeting The next RSOC meeting is scheduled for Monday, August 16, 2021 at 4:00 PM PDT.