Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (l1vpn)
|Name:||Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks|
|Area:||Routing Area (rtg)|
Adrian Farrel <email@example.com>
Hamid Ould-Brahim <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Tomonori Takeda <email@example.com>
The L1VPN Working Group's task is to specify mechanisms necessary for
providing layer-1 VPN services (establishment of layer-1 connections
between CE devices) over a GMPLS-enabled transport service-provider
The following two service models will be addressed:
1. Basic mode: the CE-PE interface's functional repertoire is limited
path setup signalling only. Provider's network is not involved in
distribution of customer network's routing information.
2. Enhanced mode: the CE-PE interface provides the signaling
capabilities as in the Basic mode, plus permits limited exchange of
information between the control planes of the provider and the customer
to help such functions as discovery of reachability information in
remote sites, or parameters of the part of the provider's network
dedicated to the customer.
The WG will work on the following items:
1. Framework document defining the reference network model, L1VPN
service model, fundamental assumptions, and terminology.
2. Specification of the L1VPN signaling functionality between the
customer and the provider network to support the basic mode.
3. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality
the provider network to support the basic mode.
4. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the
5. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality
between the customer and the provider network to support the extended
6. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality
the provider network to support the extended mode.
7. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the
8. Applicability guidelines to compare the basic and extended modes.
At this point the WG will address the single-AS scenario only. The
multi-AS/provider scenario may be considered in future.
Protocol extensions required for L1VPN will be done in cooperation with
MPLS, CCAMP, OSPF, IS-IS, IDR, L3VPN, and other WGs where necessary.
L1VPN WG shall also cooperate with ITU-T SG13 through the established
IETF process, and use documents Y.1312 and Y.1313 (describing L1VPN
requirements and network architectures) as input to its design process.
The documents will be available at the IETF liaison web-site.
Submit first Internet Draft of L1VPN framework
Submit first Internet Drafts of basic mode specifications
Submit first Internet Drafts of MIB modules for basic mode
Submit basic mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Submit first Internet Drafts of enhanced mode specifications
Submit MIB modules for basic mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Submit enhanced mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Submit L1VPN framework to IESG for publication as Informational RFC
Submit MIB modules for enhanced mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Recharter or disband