Minutes for 6TISCH at interim-2015-6tisch-14
minutes-interim-2015-6tisch-14-1

Meeting Minutes IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e (6tisch) WG
Title Minutes for 6TISCH at interim-2015-6tisch-14
State Active
Other versions plain text
Last updated 2015-10-09

Meeting Minutes
minutes-interim-2015-6tisch-14

   ## DRAFT ##

# Minutes, 09 October 2015 interim, 6TiSCH WG #

_Note_: time are PST

Meeting info
------------

* Date: 09 October, 7AM Pacific, 2PM UTC
* Timezones:
http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=100,12,5392171&h=100&date=2015-9-25&sln=14-15
* Webex link:
https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/j.php?MTID=md64a0958ae4154c0553f056bf42b756a
* Meeting number: 203 137 703 * Meeting password: sixtus * Audio connection:
    * +1-866-432-9903 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
    * 0120.312271 Japan Toll -Free

Taking notes _(using Etherpad)_
-------------------------------

1. Xavi Vilajosana
1. Pascal Thubert
1. Thomas Watteyne

Action Items
------------

* Xavi: reduce the space for unmanaged OFTF authors to meet and decide how to
* pascal to clarify that item 3 is definining P2P 1-hop operation
* Malisa to send 3 security methods to ML

Present _(alphabetically)_
--------------------------

1. Pascal Thubert
1. Thomas Watteyne
1. ChongGang Wang
1. Diego Dujovne
1. Guillaume Gaillard
1. Malisa Vucinic
1. Maria Rita Palattella
1. Michael Richardson
1. Michel Weillette
1. Nicola Accettura
1. Pat Kinney
1. Prashant Jhingran
1. Qin Wang
1. Randy Turner
1. Rene Struik
1. S.V.R. Anand
1. Savio Sciancalepore
1. Sedat Gormus
1. S.V.R. Anand
1. Tengfei Chang
1. Tom Phinney
1. Xavi Vilajosana
1. Zhuo Chen

Agenda
------

* Administrivia _[3min]_
    * Agenda bashing
    * Minutes from Last meeting
* draft-wang-6tisch-6top-sublayer _[30min]_
* status security drafts (Michael, Yoshi?) _[5min]_
* work needed on OTF _[10min]_
* status rechartering _[5min]_
* AOB _[2min]_

Resources
---------

* Webex meeting:
https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/j.php?MTID=md64a0958ae4154c0553f056bf42b756a
* Webex recording:
https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?RCID=93b5fd5d1e5e4eb59c3ce4cf46273a1a
* Wiki: https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/wiki/150925_webex * Slides:
https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/src/master/150925_webex/slides_150925_webex.ppt

Minutes
--------

* _[07.06]_ Meeting starts
    * **Thomas** goes through Note Well

* _[07.06]_ Agenda bashing
    * Approve agenda.
        * No issues raised. Agenda approved.
    * Approval of the minutes last call.
        * No issues raised. Minutes approved.
    * draft-minimal is shipped to IESG, congrats to Xavi and Kris
    * Yokohama agenda published
        * 6tisch meeting on Thursday afternoon
    * Announcing 2nd 6tisch plugtest in 2-4 Feb 2016, Paris

* _[07.08]_ Sublayer draft
    * Xavi Vilajosana: Just republished. The sublayer offers mechanism to
    allocate nodes on a distributed way but the policy to do that is kept
    separate.
        * New terms defined, including Objective Function with an identifier to
        enable multiple. * 6top protocol is a messaging protocol to allocate
        cells between peers. * simple protocols * Presenting the protocol
        stack. request proposes a number of cells and response provides the
        ones selected. * new draft presents messages and packet formats in a
        fashion similar to 15.4 information elements * interesting is that each
        message has an op code indicating command and response-code * list of
        cells are described by channel offset / slot offset * OTF is one
        possible Objective function. Codes would be allocated by IANA
    * Pascal Thubert: is the intelligence only on the requester?
    * Thomas Watteyne: there is a minimum intelligence on the receiver since it
    manages at least collisions. * Pat Kinney: On unmanaged. I undertsand that
    they can be used without being assigned. You probably want a lot less than
    128 unmanaged. Maybe 2 or 3 for experimentations. * Thomas Watteyne: agree
    let  us have an action item * Zhuo Chen: asking clarification on the 2
    dslot frames * Xavi Vilajosana: We have 2 slot frames. The first is for
    minimal. The second is managed by 6top and that is where slots installed by
    6top will be. There may be other slotframes. * Thomas Watteyne: This is an
    example that guarantees that we have bandwidth to boot with minimal.
        * Simple for interop. But just an example that is recommended. The OF
        would define this.
    * Nicola: is there a requirement of the slotframe relative sizes
    * Thomas Watteyne:  You can always figure when slotframe 0 is talking so no
    * Nicola: Why term OF? anything to optimize
    * Thomas Watteyne:  No, name mimics RPL, maybe not the right thing
    * Nicola: Why 2 bytes for slot offset?
    * Thomas Watteyne: Comes from 4e to enable other PHYs
    * Pat Kinney: agreed with Thomas. The standards guarantees that lowest slot
    frame has prority * Thomas Watteyne: Yes, collision will cause slotframe 1
    to loose an opportunity to send to it looks bad
         * draft says we want a group ID and a payload. Asking Pat Kinney if we
         can get an IE, a subIE or something assigner to us or IETF. Hiw can we
         get that?
    * Pat Kinney: understands and agrees. This requires a letter from IANA to
    Bob Heile.
         * I see enormous advantage for a group ID to be assigned. We ned to
         start communicating on this one
    * Thomas Watteyne: will talk between chairs and follow up with IANA
    * Xavi Vilajosana: Suggest to associate an OF number to the OTF draft
    * Diego: we'll meet and will discuss renaming. I agree
    * Randy Turner: the term is used a lot. Make sure it is the correct term.
    People might have assumptions * Pascal Thubert: also disagree with the 6
    that has a very wide scope. Should narrow to 6TiSCH * Thomas: Aggressive
    deadlines for interop in February; We need to stabilize 6top and OTF by end
    2015 to enable coding the stuff.

* _[07.08]_  Security draft
    * Michael not joined yet

* _[07.42]_ Rechartering
    * Pascal summarize
       * removed the "e" in 802.15.4e
       * added 3 new work items:
          * OTF
          * secure bootstrap
          * define what a track is and DETNET requirements

       * we don't want to distract the work on OTF, but for the people who
       don't work on OTF.
        * Pascal thanks Anand for review of 6tisch-4detnet

       * Idea is to push the new charter rapidly
       * WG chairs and AD will work on new charter
       * charter is contract with IESG, milestone and non milestone documents.
       * Interop guidelines and useful sustaining documents.

    * Question in the Charter. "For IP traffic". Pascal votes to maintain IP
    traffic in opposition to remove IP.

    * It is safe to keep the OTF activity close to the IP routing.
    * Pat Kinney: suggests to add a footnote. Non-ip traffic is not precluded
    from that effort in the future.
      (aiming to support other types of traffic)
    * Pascal: we want to say that for the time being we work on IP traffic.
    This does not imply that we will not work on other types of traffic in the
    future. * Pat Kinney: Agrees, he is worried about people thinking that the
    affirmation restricts other types of traffic. * ChongGang: Limited to the
    IP traffic? I think the work can be applied to both IP and non-ip traffic.
    *    Also clarify that the operation we target is one-hop, that is hop by
    hop negotiation. * Maria Rita: suggests to remove the paragraph at the end
    but let a little text indicating that we will particiPat Kinneye/support
    interop events. Remove some details as it is too long. * Pascal: if we
    charter to do the security work do we we have a critical masss in the
    security working team to move forward on that? * Rene: not immediately but
    in 3month time or so he can try to rechart the sub group. * Michael
    RIchardson: are we going to have a phone conference the 23rd of October. If
    so I can join it and discuss about the new activity in the join process. *
    Pascal: suggest to close the security ML and move discussion at the ML. *
    Michael agrees * Malisa: the WG is divided in different directions. It is
    not that the group is not finding the right work force. * Michael: Ask
    Malisa to send an email to the ML indicating the 3 security approaches he
    sees. * Malisa agrees. * Chonggang: track requirement, detnet requirements.
    Can you give some more advice on how to move forward? He send an email
    about that. Can we move forward. * Action: pascal to review the draft and
    push to move this forward. * Malisa: quite some discussions between
    security, not problem of workforce, but agree on direction * Michael:
    please send to ML
* _[07.52]_ AOB

* _[08.00]_ Meeting ends